Elwynn Forest
User avatar
Posts: 21
Likes: 6
Human
Priest

First time healing as a lv21 pally running deadmines and first impressions, i'm terrible.. :( I have decent gear with only one or two pieces without intellect. My problem is that I either run out of mana mid fight or I can't heal enough. (I went through 31 juice and 6 mana pots) Tank was 21 as well. What am I doing wrong?

Image Image
Teldrassil
User avatar
EU Firemaw
Posts: 433
Likes: 208
Alliance
Priest

Early game healing isn't easy, the tank just has to be patient and careful with pulls. You don't have the +healing gear and talents for healing so it can be quite a struggle. Another thing is that you might not use your mana efficiently enough. Dunno how you used your spells during fights but anyways, Deadmines is quite challenging despite good management of your capabilities.

Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Warrior Fury
User avatar
EU Flamelash
Posts: 212
Likes: 99
Horde

If you aren't, use lower ranked heals, no need to use the highest ranked one. You are pretty much better off spamnming the lowest ranked heal.

Teldrassil
User avatar
EU Firemaw
Posts: 433
Likes: 208
Alliance
Priest

Firelord wrote:
1 year ago
If you aren't, use lower ranked heals, no need to use the highest ranked one. You are pretty much better off spamnming the lowest ranked heal.
Good point there, considered it obvious.

Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Elwynn Forest
User avatar
Posts: 21
Likes: 6
Human
Priest

Thanks for the tips, was trying to use flash of light (rank1 45mana) as much possible but it didn't seem to keep up with the damage. Ill try a lower rank of holy light and see how that works.

Image Image
Warrior Fury
User avatar
EU Flamelash
Posts: 212
Likes: 99
Horde

Candletaker wrote:
1 year ago
Thanks for the tips, was trying to use flash of light (rank1 45mana) as much possible but it didn't seem to keep up with the damage. Ill try a lower rank of holy light and see how that works.
Aye, you gotta get a feeling for it and try different ranks at different HP thresholds. Maybe if not rank 1, try rank 2, and so forth.

Hunter Marksman
User avatar
Posts: 90
Likes: 53
Dwarf
Hunter

Just as Firelord said, try using lower ranked healing abilities - you don't always need to use your highest ranked one. Additionally, you could download some addons that could benefit your role as healer.

Also, keep in mind that Classic WoW isn't as fast paced as the modern game. You will need to rest between fights and recuperate your mana.

Awaiting Classic WoW

Image
Warrior Protection
User avatar
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Posts: 1305
Likes: 2504
Orc
Warrior

slud wrote:
1 year ago
Just as Firelord said, try using lower ranked healing abilities - you don't always need to use your highest ranked one. Additionally, you could download some addons that could benefit your role as healer.

Also, keep in mind that Classic WoW isn't as fast paced as the modern game. You will need to rest between fights and recuperate your mana.
Tanks coming from live will definitely have to get used to this lol. so many wipes are going to happen because they didnt pay attention to party chat

Teldrassil
User avatar
EU Mograine
Posts: 29
Likes: 22
Night Elf
Warrior

Good thing for me then as a tank I don't like the current gogogo mentality :mrgreen: DPS is gonna be bored out of their minds....

ImageImage
Eastern Plaguelands
User avatar
US Faerlina
Posts: 321
Likes: 245
Horde

teebling wrote:
1 year ago
slud wrote:
1 year ago
Just as Firelord said, try using lower ranked healing abilities - you don't always need to use your highest ranked one. Additionally, you could download some addons that could benefit your role as healer.

Also, keep in mind that Classic WoW isn't as fast paced as the modern game. You will need to rest between fights and recuperate your mana.
Tanks coming from live will definitely have to get used to this lol. so many wipes are going to happen because they didnt pay attention to party chat
Healer is sitting down and continuously raising a container to his mouth, looks like I’m good to pull everything in sight.

Image
User avatar
Posts: 59
Likes: 25
Alliance

Candletaker wrote:
1 year ago
What am I doing wrong?
Perhaps it wasn’t you, but the other group members who did it wrong? Better pulls, use CC, wrong stance...

Priest Holy
User avatar
Posts: 106
Likes: 124
Alliance
Priest

Don't worry man. Use this time to experiment with what'll work best when Classic rolls around.

I understand you want to do a good job, but it's a learning curve. The game is completely different during vanilla.

I'm effectively doing the same thing at the moment on a private server, to try and give myself a leg up at launch. Stick with it and you'll improve.

Human Priest
<Pertento> [EU-PvP]


Image
Deleted User 281
Posts:
Likes: 0
Deleted User 281

Here's one tip no one else seems to have mentioned so far:

Mp5 or how you can use/abuse the 5-second casting state rule to help you with your mana regen infight.
They way it works in Classic WoW (not sure about current retail) in regard to manaregen is that as soon as you start casting while in a fight (healing someone who is infight will automatically put you into infight mode) your manaregen, which is calculated as mp5 - mana per 5 seconds, drops to effectively zero for paladins since you get no manaregen from willpower; you also would not want any willpower on any of your gear.

Now, what you can and should do is this: whenever group hp permits it (which is highly dependent on expierence), abstain from casting (cancelling your casts works too) for the duration of 5 seconds, after which you are no longer considered being in a casting state, and then wait for however many ticks of manaregen you can get before you have to start healing again.

Put differently, you will want to be spending as many 5-second increments not casting if you want to keep your mana up. that might seem odd at first, but in longer fights this is the only reliable way of keeping your mana up if you are a paladin (or shaman). all other healer classes get a bonus to mana regen from their willpower to run even while in a casting state.

   teebling rijndael
Shaman Enhancement
User avatar
Posts: 360
Likes: 130
Troll
Shaman

The reality is that any class that can heal is viable for healing while leveling, as long as you have enough int and spirit gear sat around in your bags. I, also, have healed Deadmines as a paladin a few years ago and it sucks. You have a small mana pool and just where the spell ranks lie at the time, the current rank of Holy Light is super mana expensive and the previous one is super weak in the healing department.

Don't get discouraged. At the end of the day, it takes a group to clear dungeons and the tank needs to be pulling responsibly and the dps need to be careful not to mess up on aggro that would cause you need to burn more mana than is necessary. As long as you have some int + spirit gear, you can heal just fine throughout leveling. You've got this.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Alterac Valley
User avatar
EU Zandalar Tribe
Posts: 173
Likes: 359
Dwarf
Paladin

Yori wrote:
7 months ago
Mp5 or how you can use/abuse the 5-second casting state rule to help you with your mana regen infight.
They way it works in Classic WoW (not sure about current retail) in regard to manaregen is that as soon as you start casting while in a fight (healing someone who is infight will automatically put you into infight mode) your manaregen, which is calculated as mp5 - mana per 5 seconds, drops to effectively zero for paladins since you get no manaregen from willpower; you also would not want any willpower on any of your gear.

Put differently, you will want to be spending as many 5-second increments not casting if you want to keep your mana up. that might seem odd at first, but in longer fights this is the only reliable way of keeping your mana up if you are a paladin (or shaman). all other healer classes get a bonus to mana regen from their willpower to run even while in a casting state.

Image

Image Image
Teldrassil
User avatar
EU Firemaw
Posts: 433
Likes: 208
Alliance
Priest

Gensei wrote:
7 months ago
The reality is that any class that can heal is viable for healing while leveling, as long as you have enough int and spirit gear sat around in your bags. I, also, have healed Deadmines as a paladin a few years ago and it sucks. You have a small mana pool and just where the spell ranks lie at the time, the current rank of Holy Light is super mana expensive and the previous one is super weak in the healing department.

Don't get discouraged. At the end of the day, it takes a group to clear dungeons and the tank needs to be pulling responsibly and the dps need to be careful not to mess up on aggro that would cause you need to burn more mana than is necessary. As long as you have some int + spirit gear, you can heal just fine throughout leveling. You've got this.
To heal deadmines as paladin it is crucial to get to lvl 20 first so you have Flash of Light, then it is easy win :wink:

Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Shaman Enhancement
User avatar
Posts: 360
Likes: 130
Troll
Shaman

Faendor wrote:
7 months ago
Gensei wrote:
7 months ago
The reality is that any class that can heal is viable for healing while leveling, as long as you have enough int and spirit gear sat around in your bags. I, also, have healed Deadmines as a paladin a few years ago and it sucks. You have a small mana pool and just where the spell ranks lie at the time, the current rank of Holy Light is super mana expensive and the previous one is super weak in the healing department.

Don't get discouraged. At the end of the day, it takes a group to clear dungeons and the tank needs to be pulling responsibly and the dps need to be careful not to mess up on aggro that would cause you need to burn more mana than is necessary. As long as you have some int + spirit gear, you can heal just fine throughout leveling. You've got this.
To heal deadmines as paladin it is crucial to get to lvl 20 first so you have Flash of Light, then it is easy win :wink:
Yeah I did it as level 17 and it sucked. Vancleef was just a long, massive buttclench.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Druid Feral
User avatar
OC Yojamba
Posts: 899
Likes: 712
Tauren
Druid

Uncle Ganus McAnus wrote:
7 months ago
Image
I can't remember which game utilized the Willpower stat... but anyway, he means Spirit.

ImageImage Lvl 45
ImageImage Lvl 35
Ashenvale
User avatar
Posts: 29
Likes: 23
Alliance
Shaman

Selexin wrote:
7 months ago
Uncle Ganus McAnus wrote:
7 months ago
Image
I can't remember which game utilized the Willpower stat... but anyway, he means Spirit.
The Elder Scrolls licence perhaps.

A lot of oldschool jrpg used to rely on this bit of terminology.

Anyhoo, in the words of the departed Uther Blightringer : put yer waif in the flight.

   teebling
Image
-Spying from the grave at the behest of the Kirin Tor. Roughly speaking.-
Image
Priest Holy
User avatar
Posts: 106
Likes: 124
Alliance
Priest

I'm planning to run Deadmines later on as a Human Priest, level 20.

We'll see how that goes.

Human Priest
<Pertento> [EU-PvP]


Image
Similar topics
to 'Why u no heal pally?'
Posts ViewsLast post