Hillsbrad Foothills
User avatar
US Sulfuras
Posts: 371
Likes: 236
Alliance
Paladin
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I wanted to get some feedback from the Paladins on this forum regarding my eventual 60 Holy PvP spec. I have considerable experience with Paladin from TBC via BGs and Arenas, but this is my first time rolling Paladin in Vanilla/Classic.

Here's where I stand at the moment:
https://classicdb.ch/?talent#sVxurtotVGkccb

Points of discussion & feedback:

  • Imp. Lay on Hands, Unyielding Faith, and Imp. Blessing of Wisdom: As an avid PvPer, I've found that the tides of battle can change drastically with some good RNG and reduced cooldowns on major "OH SHIT" abilities, so I opted for the former over the latter. In addition, since Blessings can be dispelled and purged I figure I shouldn't be married to Wisdom, especially when I would have Kings available.
  • Precision vs. Shield Specialization vs. Toughness: Again I opted to max out the former instead of the latter. I've read some discussions about Toughness and the general consensus seems to be that it's not particularly useful as far as the overall PvP damage reduction is concerned. I haven't been able to find any theorycrafting on whether Toughness or Shield Specialization is superior, but with Redoubt I figured the Shield Specialization would get a bump. Precision will help keep judgements up, especially wisdom for those long marathon battles.
  • Imp. Hammer of Justice vs. Imp. Concentration Aura: Similar rationale as the first point in trying to maximize an OH SHIT ability. Hammer of Justice is clutch both defensively and offensively, and the last point in Conc Aura would probably only bring about a small benefit to my teammates.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? Feedback based on actual experience would be a huge plus. :wink:

Druid Feral
User avatar
US Incendius
Posts: 163
Likes: 80
Tauren
Druid
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

It looks good. However, one thing I will question is: What are your plans for Holy Shock?

Holy Shock is not a great ability, in that, it costs far too much mana for the amount it heals for, and it's on a thirty-second cooldown which is pretty insane.

Do you want to use it for healing or for damage? Because if you want to use it for damage you might consider going down a holy/ret spec path.

Or you could skip holy shock and use that one extra point to get Blessing of Sanctuary, which is not a PvP ability, but it can be great for AoE farming to make some gold when you aren't PvPing.

Also, what kind of Paladin do you want to be? More healing/support focused or more of a front line skirmisher/defender? Because both of those paths will have wildly different specs.

Also, the one point in blessing of wisdom is kind of wasted since you won't really be using it if you have kings. And getting 3 points in improved concentration aura is almost a must since you will use that aura almost 100% percent of the time in PvP, unless of course, you're dueling a mage, or shadow priest/warlock. Having that extra resistance to silence plus an extra 15% resistance to pushback on top of the 70% you get from Spiritual Focus, it's pretty clutch to have.

Having the three points in Hammer of Justice is great almost always, might not need it quite as much if you take engineering, but even still, lower CD on your pretty much only stun is always welcomed.

Horde | Druid | Incendius | Cowligula
Hillsbrad Foothills
User avatar
US Sulfuras
Posts: 371
Likes: 236
Alliance
Paladin
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Justbe wrote:
1 year ago
What are your plans for Holy Shock?

Holy Shock is not a great ability, in that, it costs far too much mana for the amount it heals for, and it's on a thirty-second cooldown which is pretty insane.

Do you want to use it for healing or for damage? Because if you want to use it for damage you might consider going down a holy/ret spec path.
Healing. I agree, it's inefficient and purely situational, but with sufficient +healing I figured it would be worth the 1 talent point when you need to cast a quick heal in motion or whatnot. I may be wrong here.

Justbe wrote:
1 year ago
Also, what kind of Paladin do you want to be?
Purely healing & support.

Justbe wrote:
1 year ago
Also, the one point in blessing of wisdom is kind of wasted since you won't really be using it if you have kings.
Where would you suggest I put that lone point? Lasting Judgement? I suppose increasing the duration of those judgements by 10 seconds would indeed be better than a blessing that I would relegate to second choice due to Kings.

Justbe wrote:
1 year ago
Having the three points in Hammer of Justice is great almost always, might not need it quite as much if you take engineering, but even still, lower CD on your pretty much only stun is always welcomed.
Justbe wrote:
1 year ago
And getting 3 points in improved concentration aura is almost a must since you will use that aura almost 100% percent of the time in PvP, unless of course, you're dueling a mage, or shadow priest/warlock.
The problem here is I can't max out both. It's either 3 in HoJ and 2 in Conc Aura, or vice versa, unless I forego Holy Shock as you suggested. So it's either an increased 5% chance to silence & interrupt, or 5 seconds reduced cooldown on HoJ. I could see a case being made for both.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Badlands
User avatar
EU Flamelash
Posts: 431
Likes: 169
Gnome
Shaman
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Premade or random PUG bgs? what bg? what phase you expecting to PvP in? are we assuming you'll be in BiS?

Image    Image     Image
Hillsbrad Foothills
User avatar
US Sulfuras
Posts: 371
Likes: 236
Alliance
Paladin
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
1 year ago
Premade or random PUG bgs? what bg? what phase you expecting to PvP in? are we assuming you'll be in BiS?
Both Premades and PUGs. WSG and Arathi Basin. As soon as they release WSG, whichever phase that is. I will likely be wearing more plate and STA pieces than the typical BiS cloth-heavy setup - let's call it "BiS-ish".

Badlands
User avatar
EU Flamelash
Posts: 431
Likes: 169
Gnome
Shaman
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

rijndael wrote:
1 year ago
Both Premades and PUGs. WSG and Arathi Basin. As soon as they release WSG, whichever phase that is. I will likely be wearing more plate and STA pieces than the typical BiS cloth-heavy setup - let's call it "BiS-ish".
can't go wrong with https://classicdb.ch/?talent#sVxhrxoZxGz0eux (cuz of current reck bug its placed over HolyShock)

In a premade you may be asked to go Rep build: https://classicdb.ch/?talent#sVxZxGZVbxxrcqo for the CC. (very good gear needed both AP & heal gear)

Image    Image     Image
Hillsbrad Foothills
User avatar
US Sulfuras
Posts: 371
Likes: 236
Alliance
Paladin
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
1 year ago
can't go wrong with https://classicdb.ch/?talent#sVxhrxoZxGz0eux (cuz of current reck bug its placed over HolyShock)
What's the current Reck bug? I'm out of the loop.

Similar topics
to 'Holy Paladin 31/20/0 Build'
Posts ViewsLast post

Latest Blue Posts

View all
  • Screenshot of the Month

    View gallery