Horde
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I wanna level a healer in classic so I can get near guaranteed easy dungeon groups, but having trouble deciding what to pick. I haven’t played wow since wotlk and only ever healed as a paladin, so obviously that’s out since I am playing horde.

I leveled a priest back in the day, not sure I would like to do another one, so it’s between shaman or Druid (going Tauren either way). Any preferences from vanilla players which they preferred or how they are to play/learn/grind with?

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pjdob wrote:
1 year ago
I leveled a priest back in the day, not sure I would like to do another one, so it’s between shaman or Druid (going Tauren either way). Any preferences from vanilla players which they preferred or how they are to play/learn/grind with?
Shaman and druid healing is very different. Both are decent but druid is weaker in PvE. From a min/max perspective druid heals are pretty bad. You do offer a ton of utility which helps to offset this, like a battle rez but even in 5 man dungeon content, many groups would prefer to have a healer with a resurrection spell especially when other healers like a shaman offer their own unique utility like ankh and tremor totems. I would recommend watching some videos to see the differences in healing. Druids are very mobile and do a lot of healing over time. Shamans are far more stationary, especially in regards to remaining within/near their totems in both PvE and PvP and can throw out some bursty heals when needed.

Both healers are viable. There will be more shamans than druid heals but there will also be less opportunity for druid heals than shaman heals. None of that really matters though because healers are typically in high demand. In PvP you can take a lot of interesting spell builds with a druid and function well as a healer / flag carrier or even place a lot of points into balance and create a lot of value for your team.

If I were recommending a class to a friend with the very minimal details that you gave, I would recommend shaman because they are better. While calling them "better" will probably irritate a lot of people, this is numerically true for PvE in most circumstances. This can be seen with the most recent world first push in MC where only 1 druid was brought to the raid for MoTW and a Brez (also partly due to player availability - but druids level fast so if they were valuable we would have seen more of them). This is the general meta for top tier private server guilds and will continue for hardcore Classic guilds - druids are simply less valuable than other healers in raids. However, if you feel an interest in druid heals you shouldnt let that dissuade you because you will still have plenty of opportunity as a resto druid just because you are a healer.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
9 months ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I'd rather tank in dungeons because I don't have a real rez, but this doesn't stop most groups from asking me to heal. I usually advertise availability for tank/DPS/healing when looking for dungeon groups and so far unless I insist on tanking, groups always expect me to heal. I prefer to tank but I like being flexible so when people ask me to heal I got no problem with that either.

If you want to heal as a Druid you'll have plenty of opportunities. We're not the best healers, but we can hold our own and seems like healing is always in demand more than tanking or DPS so the market is on your side in terms of dungeon groups.

I don't know what healing abilities Shaman players have - but I can vouch for the fact that it kind of sucks that Druids don't seem to have an equivalent to the Priest's Power Word: Shield and Fade abilities. I don't have a way to dump threat when I have it, and I don't have a way to throw a shield on somebody who is about to die to buy myself more time to channel off a big heal. So I gotta be more careful and rely more on stacking renews on people. It works but I definitely have less healing tools at my disposal than a priest. Eventually I think I pick up something similar to Fade in cat form, should have something called cower... so if I pull healing threat I can eventually hop into cat form and cower to reduce threat, but I don't have that yet.

I've never played shaman before so I don't know if I'd like it. But I can tell you that I'm having a blast as a druid. The other night I tanked, did DPS, and healed all in the same Deadmines run. We had 3 druids and we kept shifting roles around for the hell of it and it was a blast. And being able to play as either 2nd rate ranged DPS, warrior, or rogue at the touch of a button keeps things fresh out in the world as well.

Stfuppercut
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
1 year ago
We're not the best healers, but we can hold our own and seems like healing is always in demand more than tanking or DPS so the market is on your side in terms of dungeon groups.
This should be the take away from this thread. You arent the best healer, in fact youre probably the worst - but it wont matter because if youre playing right, you will have the opportunity to heal OR potentially tank if necessary. You will never be the first pick for anything, but you will always be able to fill a hole in a group. No one sees a resto druid join the party and begins to jump for joy, but when the group has been waiting 20 mins to find a healer, they will be excited to see anyone. As a healer, the opportunity will be there (even if there is less of it). Especially if youre as flexible as Pip and are willing to perform a variety of roles.

I will say that usually tanks are in higher demand, but none of that matters to a druid with a few different gear sets and a good build.

teebling
g0bledyg00k wrote:
9 months ago
Horde
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I should have given more details, my bad there.

I was looking more for which one is more versatile and brings utility to a raid group, can heal a dungeon group, and won’t suck ass grinding for mats/gold in a healer spec because I am too cheap to constantly respec. It seems from all of this I might roll Druid, I like the mobility idea.

Last question, which professions do you recommend? I am debating between skin/leather and herb/alch.

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pjdob wrote:
1 year ago

I was looking more for which one is more versatile and brings utility to a raid group, can heal a dungeon group, and won’t suck ass grinding for mats/gold in a healer spec because I am too cheap to constantly respec. It seems from all of this I might roll Druid, I like the mobility idea.

Last question, which professions do you recommend? I am debating between skin/leather and herb/alch.
We can stealth like rogues and this opens us up to interesting dungeon farming opportunities later on. I remember stealth runs to skip trash and farm specific bosses in vanilla were a legit way to make gold. You and a rogue buddy can go break into dungeons and farm specific areas. You can both DPS or you can throw him some heals if things go sideways. Druids also have great mobility with instant cast travel form which can be quicker than using a mount in certain short distance sprints between resource nodes. Lots of neat things unique to the class as long as you're willing to be versatile and fill whatever role is needed in your group or guild.

I am rolling with skinning/herbalism right now to make gold as I level. I had leatherworking for a bit, but realized I wasn't using the armor I was making anyway and it was just costing me money instead of adding to it. I think I will probably pick up engineering later on once I get closer to 60 and have more money. Would be nice to have a pair of jumper cables next to my battle rez.

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pjdob wrote:
1 year ago

I was looking more for which one is more versatile
Druid is more versatile. Why? Because you can heal in a raid. You can tank in a raid and all 3 of your specs function for PvP. The only thing you cant really do on a druid is boomkin in raid. As a shaman, you can heal in raids, you will rarely be given the chance to enhancement and must use nightfall to justify your place and ele does not exist in raiding. For PvP Ele shamans are insane, enhance can work and resto is meh/okay.
Pjdob wrote:
1 year ago
and brings utility to a raid group
Shaman is superior for raids, brings more utility and value overall
Pjdob wrote:
1 year ago
can heal a dungeon group
Both can, quite easily.
Pjdob wrote:
1 year ago
and won’t suck ass grinding for mats/gold in a healer spec because I am too cheap to constantly respec.
Druid would probably grind better gold? You have stealth runs, jump runs etc etc etc. You can make gold on either, both suck at farming gold in contrast to other classes / specs and of the two of these druid would probably edge out the shaman.
Pjdob wrote:
1 year ago
Engineering is BiS for everyone / always. Otherwise, you can make a choice and have several options. For leveling, just take skinning.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
9 months ago
Tirisfal Glades
OC Arugal
Undead
Warrior
1 year ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

• Priest if you want to be the overall best healer.
  • Shaman if you want to be a strong healer with great lore (if you care about that) and slick class identity with totems. Self-res is amazing in dungeons after a wipe (when you have no warlock), people love your totems and you can adapt to any situation. Casters love mana totem, melee love windfury totem. Your aura totems are also nothing to scoff at when it comes to raiding (fire aura for MC, nature for AQ, frost for some naxx bosses), and your tremor totem is invaluable. You also have interrupts in the form of rank 1 earth shock, so your tanks will love you for it simply because you can interrupt a caster from far away and lure them close to the tank.
  • Druid is great because you can do anything. Don't feel like healing? Put on some agi gear and go tank (at least pre 60 dungeons). Also as mentioned before stealth boss farming is gonna be a thing - especially with Dire Maul - so rogues LOVE a druid who stealth + heal. Druid has great PvP advantages as well (flag carrier, safe(r) on PvP realms), and levels between 20 and 40 are especially fast thanks to improved cat movespeed + travel form. I'm pretty sure you can still farm things with an agi/dps gear in cat form, even in healer spec. Just don't expect anything incredible. Solo farming SHOULD be faster than a resto shaman, because shammies go OOM all the time (as far as I've heard). Your downside is having no res other than a 30min CD one, which could be a dealbreaker for some.

<Goblin Rocket Fuel Rats> | Arugal Horde