Mage Frost
User avatar
donator Posts: 7
Likes: 2
Gnome
Mage
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Sorry for a class choice thread, but I have some fairly well-defined criteria and have narrowed it to 2 classes, so hopefully you can help me out!

I’m torn between Rogue and Mage.

I played Vanilla and TBC, but not hardcore, so I’m pretty inexperienced, certainly compared to my mates who no lifed it through to WOTLK.

We’ve all got busier lives now, so our focus will be casual PVP, with some dungeons thrown in.

I’m looking for a class that:

- is effective in all forms of PVP
- is relatively simple to learn and can be reasonably effective in PVP with basic skills and class knowledge
- has depth, so over time, as I improve I can get more out of the class (i.e. high skill ceiling no bad thing, subject to bullet point above)
- is simple in dungeons and raids, as I don’t know the encounters well and I don’t want to screw things up for my mates!

Does that sound more like Rogue or Mage?

Thanks!!

Arathi Basin
User avatar
EU Ten Storms
donator Posts: 245
Likes: 153
Alliance
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

So sick of these posts :twisted:

For what you described in what you want in a character they both offer that, one is melee and has energy and one is ranged and has mana. Either one would fulfill your "wants".

Ten Storms EU Alliance
Finnigan - Dwarf Hunter Lvl 26
Portalmaster - Gnome Mage Lvl 19
Ashenvale
User avatar
donator Posts: 270
Likes: 160
Alliance
Shaman
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I would say that although Rogue theoretically ticks off the boxes, Mage ticks them better.

Mage Frost
User avatar
donator Posts: 7
Likes: 2
Gnome
Mage
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Erik wrote:
4 months ago
So sick of these posts :twisted:

For what you described in what you want in a character they both offer that, one is melee and has energy and one is ranged and has mana. Either one would fulfill your "wants".
@Erik Thanks for overcoming your rage and taking the time to respond, much appreciated :)

Mage Frost
User avatar
donator Posts: 7
Likes: 2
Gnome
Mage
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Linguine wrote:
4 months ago
I would say that although Rogue theoretically ticks off the boxes, Mage ticks them better.
Ah ok, thanks!

Which would you say is least gear dependent?

Ashenvale
User avatar
donator Posts: 270
Likes: 160
Alliance
Shaman
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Ouijah wrote:
4 months ago
Linguine wrote:
4 months ago
I would say that although Rogue theoretically ticks off the boxes, Mage ticks them better.
Ah ok, thanks!

Which would you say is least gear dependent?
Mage, especially while leveling.

Even after leveling is over, every piece of gear you upgrade steadily improves you, whereas on a Rogue you really need those weapons and are competing not only against other rogues for the gear, but warriors as well in many cases.

Felwood
User avatar
donator Posts: 185
Likes: 73
Gnome
Mage
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Both are good choices for PVP.
Do you want to Melee or Ranged?
Do you want to AoE freeze and slow a group of enemies or do you want to sap and slay scouts slipping through your team?
Do you want to conjure biscuits and portals or do you want to pickpocket and open boxes?
Do you want to Polymorph or Sap?
Do you want to stealth into enemy lines or polymorph and provide support to yours?

| Kazumi[33] - Frost Mage, Wetpaint[49] - Prot Warrior | Golemagg PVP|
Rogue Subtlety
User avatar
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 286
Likes: 153
Night Elf
Hunter
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I would roll mage for what you're describing here.

Telvaine - Night Elf Hunter
Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US
Ashenvale
User avatar
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 814
Likes: 626
Gnome
Warrior
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

What kind of combat do you like better? I can't stand casters. All my characters have to be melee because the combat is just more fun for me. That might be something to consider as well.

Besides, rogues can be that much more obnoxious than mages in PvP. More opportunities to sneak up on people and make them rage quit if you time it right.

Winterspring
User avatar
EU Pyrewood Village
donator Posts: 146
Likes: 55
Troll
Warrior
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Ouijah wrote:
4 months ago
I’m looking for a class that:

- is effective in all forms of PVP
- is relatively simple to learn and can be reasonably effective in PVP with basic skills and class knowledge
- has depth, so over time, as I improve I can get more out of the class (i.e. high skill ceiling no bad thing, subject to bullet point above)
- is simple in dungeons and raids, as I don’t know the encounters well and I don’t want to screw things up for my mates!
- Both classes are pretty effective indoors and outdoors PvP
- Both classes are easy to learn hard to master for PvP
- Both classes are solid a choice for PvP and have a high sky ceiling
- I would say that both are easy in dungeons / raids, but mage is easier.

Both classes are pretty good on those points, but as stated above I would say that mage maybe fits a little bit better.

That said, they are pretty different classes, what would you enjoy most? face to face encounters with stealth and preparation, or long ranged encounters with assistance as a caster?

daisyKutter - Troll Protection Warrior
EU PvE - Pyrewood Village - Horde
Mage Frost
User avatar
donator Posts: 7
Likes: 2
Gnome
Mage
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Thanks for all the very helpful responses guys. I'm going to roll Mage - very excited! :)

Similar topics
to 'Class choice: Mage or Rogue?'
Posts ViewsLast post