User avatar
Posts: 285
Likes: 47
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

When players reminisce on Classic WoW, they usually mention content from the first year of Classic. There seems to be a shortage of new content during the 2nd year of Classic. I am concerned that players who begin at launch, reach level 60, and progress through the early content will be disappointed post-Zul'Gurub. It seems like the content they did add was for hardcore raiders, which was such a small % of the population.

This was the content added during the second year of Classic.

1.8 Silithus quests and rep farming related to AQ. That was farming for one of the most boring raids in WoW.

1.9 A severwide event that lasted a few hours. The idea behind it was good however.

1.10 A revamp on tier .5 gear that many players had already acquired. Weather effects added.

1.11 A scourge invasion event and a quests in EPL. Yeah, it was farming for Naxxramas mostly.

1.12 World PvP Objectives. Nobody really did these. They were a failure even Blizzard admitted to.

Then Naxxramas came out which released gear that was totally overpowered and ruined itemization in the game.

This isn't a lot unless you were a hardcore raider.

Druid Restoration
User avatar
OC Yojamba
Posts: 969
Likes: 773
Tauren
Druid
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I think a much larger % of the population will see AQ40/Naxx this time around - so the 2nd year of release isn't so dry for the bulk of the community that it was in Vanilla. I think you will see more people min-maxing their alts and also creating a lot of community driven events and competitions to add to the content being released in the 2nd year (or phases 4-6).

I don't see it being a huge issue, people know what expect from the 6 phases, and are very excited to see it through to the end. Blizzard want this to be a permanent server, so what they do after 2-3 years is unknown at this point. F R E S H? Classic+? Time will reveal all.

   Stfuppercut Zaycho couchatron Default
ImageImage Lvl 60
ImageImage Lvl 43
User avatar
Posts: 285
Likes: 47
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Selexin wrote:
1 year ago
I think a much larger % of the population will see AQ40/Naxx this time around - so the 2nd year of release isn't so dry for the bulk of the community that it was in Vanilla. I think you will see more people min-maxing their alts and also creating a lot of community driven events and competitions to add to the content being released in the 2nd year (or phases 4-6).

I don't see it being a huge issue, people know what expect from the 6 phases, and are very excited to see it through to the end. Blizzard want this to be a permanent server, so what they do after 2-3 years is unknown at this point. F R E S H? Classic+? Time will reveal all.
I am convinced they are going to release a new expansion that attempts to mimic Classic WoW, in order to lure Classic WoW players to retail. Just a conspiracy theory.

Arathi Basin
User avatar
Posts: 326
Likes: 148
Undead
Priest
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
Just a conspiracy theory.
Something like this will happen probably....

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Twitch Channel, feel free to take a look :)!
Ashenvale
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1041
Likes: 786
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Seems like if the server will sit without changes for a long period of time then more people will get to progress through the raids. I hear a lot of chatter about people skipping naxx because they were only knocking on its door as TBC was around the corner, so they didn't bother.

I'm not gonna worry about it for now. I don't even know what I'd want to happen 2 years into the game. Classic+? TBC? D3 style seasons where they spin up a bunch of fresh blank servers that reset every year? I don't think I want TBC, that was the beginning of the end for me. Not sure what Classic+ would end up being. I think of the three options, eventual release of seasonal servers that are fresh and reset once a year seems like the best. They could work like the D3 seasonal servers, where the characters and loot aren't deleted at the end of the season - they just get transferred back out onto non-seasonal servers.

I don't know. It's a valid concern, but I'm gonna focus my energy on prepping for launch and enjoying the next year or two worth of classic and see where it goes from there.

Ashenvale
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1041
Likes: 786
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
I am convinced they are going to release a new expansion that attempts to mimic Classic WoW, in order to lure Classic WoW players to retail. Just a conspiracy theory.
You mean a new retail expansion on the BfA side to replace BfA with a more classic-like experience over there? I'd be down. If it's good enough, I'd play it. And this could let classic just sit and be classic and remain classic.

   Selexin Sauva
Ashenvale
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1041
Likes: 786
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

sorry to chain post, I keep coming up with more after I post...

It took me about a year to reach level 60 the first time back in the original game. I didn't speed run. I don't think I'll speed run this time either. I got a relaxed playstyle and try to play with my buddies. Even with spending a lot of time in game every day, I'm going to be fishing and cooking and keeping my professions up to date as I go. It's not efficient, but I like doing it. I like the RPG part of this game as much as anything else. So I can see taking a year to hit 60 this time again, and from there probably another year to get started on raids and level alts and stuff. I think I could be fine with classic as it is for like 3-4 years without needing any new content. So I have no concerns for myself.

But this game needs other players in it playing for it to be the game that it is. It's not the same if I'm the only dude logged in. So I hope there's a lot of other players who play like I do who will be sticking around for years to come.

I don't know how many other people are going to play like that. There's a lot of speed runners on this forum, and I don't know how long they're going to run the same raids on separate characters. Maybe they need more new content sooner to stay interested. I also don't know how large of the classic population they're going to end up being.

   Sauva
Warrior Fury
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1218
Likes: 808
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

So much of this is like worrying about how sore you might feel after the rave, or worrying about if the water is cold before you jump off the boat, just be present in the moment and enjoy it. Its fun to speculate about the future of the Classic project. If we're being real and stop being silly for a bit, TBC is the obvious choice. It has a larger market than the niche audience that would be interested in a modified version of Classic. Do I want 1.13... Classic+... TBC? Most of us have been on this very forum for months discussing a 15 year old game that isnt release yet, we're all in too deep. We're going to eat up whatever they go with and we are going to love it.

So my answer is that I would play any version of the game. Hell, I'd even load up a version with @RedridgeGnoll's god-awful ideas for kicks. It would crash and burn in a few weeks, but everyone loves a bit of a spectacle (which is why we click on his posts).

In Gnoll's next post we will discuss how we are all aging and will inevitably die! The horror! The inevitable demise! WHAT TO DO!?! Tune in next time...

g0bledyg00k wrote:
10 months ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Winterspring
User avatar
EU Pyrewood Village
Posts: 146
Likes: 55
Troll
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'm just gonna keep rolling alts to 40 when I get bored with the endgame by that time, and enjoy fishing, cooking and explore. Farming pets!

   Stupeed couchatron
daisyKutter - Troll Protection Warrior
EU PvE - Pyrewood Village - Horde
Warrior Protection
User avatar
Posts: 30
Likes: 30
Troll
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'm not worried. I'm happy I get to play the game. What happens two years from now is the least of my concern. Once I clear all the raid content, I imagine I'll find new ways to have fun in game, and if I don't, that's fine too. Plenty of things to do in life that aren't playing vidya games.

   Stfuppercut
How ya doin' mon?
Westfall
User avatar
US Pagle
Posts: 84
Likes: 78
Dwarf
Priest
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Can I just say that I wish people would stop calling it 1.13 for new "Classic" content?

1.13 is the patch number Blizzard has designated for Classic's launch. 1.14 should be the patch number that the community is using when they're talking about new "Classic" content.

   Morph teebling rijndael
Warrior Protection
User avatar
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Posts: 1329
Likes: 2502
Orc
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
<Classic+ advocacy snip>
Ah yes, the age old concern about not having enough content.

You do realise that 14 years have elapsed since 2005 and people are still playing vanilla wow on private servers and are not bored of it, right?

You keep referring to the ‘second year’ of Classic - we don’t know what the interval between each phase of Classic is going to be. How can you base your opinion on this?
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
1.10 A revamp on tier .5 gear that many players had already acquired. Weather effects added.
No - people had acquired some T0. I don’t think you fully appreciate how long T0.5 takes to acquire.

   Selexin
Teldrassil
User avatar
EU Bloodfang
Posts: 451
Likes: 215
Alliance
Priest
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

It is true though that AQ patch is somewhat a breaking point where many people consider leaving the game. I have seen it many times.

That doesn't bother me though. I wanna clear all the content and that's what I'm gonna do.

Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Druid Restoration
User avatar
OC Yojamba
Posts: 969
Likes: 773
Tauren
Druid
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Faendor wrote:
1 year ago
It is true though that AQ patch is somewhat a breaking point where many people consider leaving the game. I have seen it many times.
I think in the private server scene that is more related to players knowing that a F R E S H server is around the corner, and maybe this time they'll be ahead of the curve and not a tier behind the leaders and feeling underpowered! (Spoiler they never do). I don't see it being such a big issue in Classic, as people this time around know that it is here for the long haul and they should commit, there isn't a F R E S H lurking around the corner baiting players into thinking they'll be better next time around!

ImageImage Lvl 60
ImageImage Lvl 43
Teldrassil
User avatar
EU Bloodfang
Posts: 451
Likes: 215
Alliance
Priest
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

@Selexin It is not only the Fresh servers, which actually might be a thing with Classic as well btw.

Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Druid Restoration
User avatar
OC Yojamba
Posts: 969
Likes: 773
Tauren
Druid
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Faendor wrote:
1 year ago
@Selexin It is not only the Fresh servers, which actually might be a thing with Classic as well btw.
We literally have no other example of the problem you raised but from private servers, and blizzard have made no announcement about fresh classic servers being a reality.

   couchatron
ImageImage Lvl 60
ImageImage Lvl 43
Deadwind Pass
User avatar
US Grobbulus
Posts: 229
Likes: 124
Orc
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

My goals for Classic are clearing all the content and min-maxing everything that I can with only one character, then play on the 19 and 29 bracket with full geared twinks.

However, I wouldn't mind having TBC content added to the world after Naxx release, like 1.14.0, like Hyjal or Karazhan, maybe add 1 or 2 spells to focus on the balance. I'd love to see how they can improve Vanilla the way they wanted to back in the day now that they have the knowledge and resources to do so.
But once again, you'll never know with ActiBlizzard.

   Grindhouse
<Surge>
Grobbulus - RPPvP
Rogue Combat
User avatar
US Westfall
Posts: 211
Likes: 144
Orc
Rogue
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
When players reminisce on Classic WoW, they usually mention content from the first year of Classic. There seems to be a shortage of new content during the 2nd year of Classic. I am concerned that players who begin at launch, reach level 60, and progress through the early content will be disappointed post-Zul'Gurub. It seems like the content they did add was for hardcore raiders, which was such a small % of the population.
False. AQ20 was a thing. Casual raiders benefitted too.

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
1.8 Silithus quests and rep farming related to AQ. That was farming for one of the most boring raids in WoW.
So you thought AQ20 was one of the most boring raids? I'm sorry you felt that way. Some of us rather enjoyed it.

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
1.9 A severwide event that lasted a few hours. The idea behind it was good however.
It lasted a bit longer, but it should be more enjoyable as they said they will probably turn on layering for this event to help prevent server crashes.

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
1.10 A revamp on tier .5 gear that many players had already acquired. Weather effects added.
A chance for players to revisit some of the 5 mans and do timed challenges for armor upgrades? Sounds amazing.

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
1.11 A scourge invasion event and a quests in EPL. Yeah, it was farming for Naxxramas mostly.
What about all the new bosses that showed up in 5 man content? Also, some people really like new quests and storylines. Sure, they weren't all able to venture into Naxx themselves, but it was still better than nothing.

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
1.12 World PvP Objectives. Nobody really did these. They were a failure even Blizzard admitted to.
I did them! In fact, my guild and a few other alliance guilds coordinated with a few horde guilds to basically have a pvp night once or twice a week to do these. That being said, it would have been nice had we not had to cooridnate to make it happen, but that's the beautiful thing about vanilla, no? You make your own fun.

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
Then Naxxramas came out which released gear that was totally overpowered and ruined itemization in the game.
Just like how AQ40 gear ruined the game before that, and BWL gear the time before that. Got it.

   Cletus
User avatar
Posts: 285
Likes: 47
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
1 year ago
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
I am convinced they are going to release a new expansion that attempts to mimic Classic WoW, in order to lure Classic WoW players to retail. Just a conspiracy theory.
You mean a new retail expansion on the BfA side to replace BfA with a more classic-like experience over there? I'd be down. If it's good enough, I'd play it. And this could let classic just sit and be classic and remain classic.
I have an entire library of Post-Classic ideas I have written. I would be happy to share them.

User avatar
Posts: 285
Likes: 47
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
1 year ago
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
<Classic+ advocacy snip>
Ah yes, the age old concern about not having enough content.

You do realise that 14 years have elapsed since 2005 and people are still playing vanilla wow on private servers and are not bored of it, right?

You keep referring to the ‘second year’ of Classic - we don’t know what the interval between each phase of Classic is going to be. How can you base your opinion on this?
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
1.10 A revamp on tier .5 gear that many players had already acquired. Weather effects added.
No - people had acquired some T0. I don’t think you fully appreciate how long T0.5 takes to acquire.
Private servers tend to die once AQ is released. The reason why the private server scene stays healthy, is because there are constantly fresh servers for players to start over on. With Classic we will be stuck with AQ/Naxx for a year. I felt the second year of Vanilla was way more boring than the first. There was no way to progress your character outside of raiding.

User avatar
Posts: 285
Likes: 47
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Selexin wrote:
1 year ago
Faendor wrote:
1 year ago
It is true though that AQ patch is somewhat a breaking point where many people consider leaving the game. I have seen it many times.
I think in the private server scene that is more related to players knowing that a F R E S H server is around the corner, and maybe this time they'll be ahead of the curve and not a tier behind the leaders and feeling underpowered! (Spoiler they never do). I don't see it being such a big issue in Classic, as people this time around know that it is here for the long haul and they should commit, there isn't a F R E S H lurking around the corner baiting players into thinking they'll be better next time around!
They leave on private servers because it is boring. That content was catered towards hardcore raiders. I literally quit Vanilla during AQ and complained on the WoW forums about it. This is a legitimate concern.

Ashenvale
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1041
Likes: 786
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
I have an entire library of Post-Classic ideas I have written. I would be happy to share them.
This does not surprise me.
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
I literally quit Vanilla during AQ and complained on the WoW forums about it.
Neither does this :lol:

   RedridgeGnoll Selexin Cletus
User avatar
Posts: 285
Likes: 47
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

couchatron wrote:
1 year ago
So you thought AQ20 was one of the most boring raids? I'm sorry you felt that way. Some of us rather enjoyed it.
The guy that designed AQ even said it was terrible.
couchatron wrote:
1 year ago
A chance for players to revisit some of the 5 mans and do timed challenges for armor upgrades? Sounds amazing.
This was not popular. A lot of players already had way better gear.
couchatron wrote:
1 year ago
I did them! In fact, my guild and a few other alliance guilds coordinated with a few horde guilds to basically have a pvp night once or twice a week to do these. That being said, it would have been nice had we not had to cooridnate to make it happen, but that's the beautiful thing about vanilla, no? You make your own fun.
Even Blizzard said these were total failures.
couchatron wrote:
1 year ago
Just like how AQ40 gear ruined the game before that, and BWL gear the time before that. Got it.
Naxx totally breaks the balance in the game. Players in crafted, ZG, MC gear could compete against BWL gear. You can't compete with Naxx gear. Admittedly, AQ gear isn't that much of a power spike compared to BWL. A lot of players who had tier 2 just didn't even bother with AQ. AQ has some powerful weapons though for sure. The point is that MC/BWL were more casual friendly. Naxx is not. The gear from there is also BIS.

Druid Restoration
User avatar
OC Yojamba
Posts: 969
Likes: 773
Tauren
Druid
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

ITT: @RedridgeGnoll hates Classic WoW confirmed.

ImageImage Lvl 60
ImageImage Lvl 43
Warrior Fury
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1218
Likes: 808
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
I have an entire library of Post-Classic ideas I have written. I would be happy to share them.
Please don't. Well... Maybe do... But not all at once. Spread them out every week or so, but I can not take them all at once. I need time to recover between the insanity.

   TeamRemix Selexin
g0bledyg00k wrote:
10 months ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Similar topics
to 'Concern over the 2nd year of Classic WoW?'
Posts ViewsLast post

Latest Blue Posts

View all
  • Screenshot of the Month

    View gallery