Warrior Fury
User avatar
Posts: 5
Likes: 1
Orc
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Hello Barrens Chat!

I've been struggling to decide which type of server I should focus on considering my goals and that I only have an hour or 2 to play per night.

Goals:
Kill all city leaders on both factions
Raid Onyxia and get my T2 helm
Have fun in Battlegrounds
Join community shenanigans taking place in the world I can't normally do on BFA.

Originally I was thinking of rolling characters on a PvP and PvE server, but focusing on two different lifestyles might be too much. A PvP server seems ideal, but my only concern would be that after leveling one character, leveling a second character would be even more difficult due to the amount of players who have hit level 60 and will gank. I have a feeling I'll be lucky to just level 1 character successfully. But if I'm on a PvE server I'm worried I might get bored if no one wants to attack towns or cities at level 60.

Any advice based on your experience? How difficult was it leveling on a PvP server back in Vanilla WoW? Was there a lot of PvP on your PvE servers? I used to play on a PvE server when I was younger and raided up to Nefarian on Blackwing Lair. That's when The Burning Crusade hit. I did play a bit on PvP servers back in late Burning Crusade, but I've forgotten what it was like.

Thanks! Any input is appreciated.

Druid Restoration
User avatar
OC Yojamba
Posts: 969
Likes: 773
Tauren
Druid
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Gatholm wrote:
1 year ago
I've been struggling to decide which type of server I should focus on considering my goals
Gatholm wrote:
1 year ago
Goals:
Kill all city leaders on both factions
I think you answered your own question :wink:

Seriously though, leveling on a PvP server isn't too bad if you are leveling at the same time as most others, because largely people are too focused and too similar level to go out of their way to actively gank. People are just trying to rush to 60 so they can gear up and gank better :lol: I think just go PvP server if you are worried that PvE might be too restrictive for long term. I am torn with the same decision as you, although I am not as interested in killing city leaders. I wouldn't mind the slightly more relaxed option of PvE server, but I worry about the long term drawbacks.

   Gatholm
ImageImage Lvl 60
ImageImage Lvl 43
Warrior Fury
User avatar
Posts: 5
Likes: 1
Orc
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

True, with me kinda answering my own question, but aren't we only allowed to make one faction type on a PvP server?

Selexin wrote:
1 year ago
Gatholm wrote:
1 year ago
I've been struggling to decide which type of server I should focus on considering my goals
Gatholm wrote:
1 year ago
Goals:
Kill all city leaders on both factions
I think you answered your own question :wink:

Seriously though, leveling on a PvP server isn't too bad if you are leveling at the same time as most others, because largely people are too focused and too similar level to go out of their way to actively gank. People are just trying to rush to 60 so they can gear up and gank better :lol: I think just go PvP server if you are worried that PvE might be too restrictive for long term. I am torn with the same decision as you, although I am not as interested in killing city leaders. I wouldn't mind the slightly more relaxed option of PvE server, but I worry about the long term drawbacks.

Warrior Fury
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1218
Likes: 808
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Gatholm wrote:
1 year ago
Goals:
Kill all city leaders on both factions
Raid Onyxia and get my T2 helm
Have fun in Battlegrounds
Join community shenanigans taking place in the world I can't normally do on BFA.
You'll be rolling on a PvP server. The difficulty of leveling on a PvP server is completely dependent on population and faction balance. Each and every one of us have had a different experience depending on those variables. I can say that leveling on a private server with 12k people online at a ~50/50 faction balance was a fucking bloodbath. Almost unplayable. Retail vanilla had around 3500-4500 people on high pop servers. Classic will have layers of 3k players. There is no doubt that Classic will be the easiest PvP leveling experience there has ever been, and even the harder variations of the game (Blizz like private and retail vanilla) that were more populated, werent that bad. The worst part of leveling on a PvP server is the potential to be camped for an extended period of time. Based on your schedule, this shouldn't be too much of an issue because you only plan on playing for short periods of time. Additionally, layering has potential for avoidance through layer hopping.

Don't be concerned about the difficulty. Based on your goals, play PvP! I will add that the world on a PvP server feels more alive. You mentioned that you're concerned people wont be flagged etc on a PvE server and you're right. Flagging just doesnt make sense for the most part. You are signing up for PvP while allowing your opponent to get the first hit.

   Gatholm PhillyOutty
g0bledyg00k wrote:
10 months ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Warrior Fury
User avatar
Posts: 5
Likes: 1
Orc
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Thank you Stfupperrcut and Selexin,

I didn't know about the 3k population limit with layering. That makes it seem a little less crazy and I can always layer hop if camping becomes insane or work on an alt. Thinking about it I think players will be more likely to party up to deter ganking and increase their survival chances thus building a tighter community.

Stfuppercut wrote:
1 year ago
Gatholm wrote:
1 year ago
Goals:
Kill all city leaders on both factions
Raid Onyxia and get my T2 helm
Have fun in Battlegrounds
Join community shenanigans taking place in the world I can't normally do on BFA.
You'll be rolling on a PvP server. The difficulty of leveling on a PvP server is completely dependent on population and faction balance. Each and every one of us have had a different experience depending on those variables. I can say that leveling on a private server with 12k people online at a ~50/50 faction balance was a fucking bloodbath. Almost unplayable. Retail vanilla had around 3500-4500 people on high pop servers. Classic will have layers of 3k players. There is no doubt that Classic will be the easiest PvP leveling experience there has ever been, and even the harder variations of the game (Blizz like private and retail vanilla) that were more populated, werent that bad. The worst part of leveling on a PvP server is the potential to be camped for an extended period of time. Based on your schedule, this shouldn't be too much of an issue because you only plan on playing for short periods of time. Additionally, layering has potential for avoidance through layer hopping.

Don't be concerned about the difficulty. Based on your goals, play PvP! I will add that the world on a PvP server feels more alive. You mentioned that you're concerned people wont be flagged etc on a PvE server and you're right. Flagging just doesnt make sense for the most part. You are signing up for PvP while allowing your opponent to get the first hit.

Warrior Fury
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1218
Likes: 808
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Gatholm wrote:
1 year ago
I didn't know about the 3k population limit with layering. That makes it seem a little less crazy and I can always layer hop if camping becomes insane or work on an alt. Thinking about it I think players will be more likely to party up to deter ganking and increase their survival chances thus building a tighter community.
To be clear, this is a preliminary estimate of layer populations from Blizzard but is not confirmed by Blizzard. Layer hopping is currently working on beta, but we aren't sure if that will make it into the final version of the game.

Either way, unless a massive shift happens before Classic launches, Classic leveling should be a cake walk in phase 1. If you're really concerned about being camped etc, play something with stealth.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
10 months ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Mulgore
User avatar
US Bloodsail Buccaneers
Posts: 60
Likes: 47
Tauren
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Gatholm wrote:
1 year ago
True, with me kinda answering my own question, but aren't we only allowed to make one faction type on a PvP server?
That's right, only Horde or only Alliance on any single PvP server. You could always roll the opposite faction on another PvP server.

I was a bit of an altoholic in Vanilla and I did all my leveling on an active PvP server where Horde was fairly outnumbered (maybe 55/45 ally/horde) and the only character I encountered non-stop PvP on while leveling was my warrior, who was just getting into contested zones when the honor system debuted. All of my other alts were smooth sailing.

My first character was a druid, though, so my memory of PvP while leveling with the server might be tainted by the fact that I could run away from everything :lol:

Undercity
User avatar
EU Firemaw
Posts: 17
Likes: 10
Undead
Mage
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

If classic is gonna be anything like back in vanilla (which hopefully it is) I wouldn't worry too much about leveling. I played a lot of alts on a PvP server back in the day and to be honest the PvP aspect just made it more fun. Most of the time it's not a problem, then there's a few zones where the other faction is more prevalent and you have to be more careful, but really that just makes the world feel more alive and dynamic.

One way to counter camping is to level different alts at the same time so you just log on to another alt if one of them becomes unplayable at a certain point because the area you're in is overrun.

Druid Feral
User avatar
EU Gehennas
Posts: 161
Likes: 81
Tauren
Druid
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
1 year ago
I can say that leveling on a private server with 12k people online at a ~50/50 faction balance was a fucking bloodbath.
My experience was actually quite different. I also leveled an alt long after launch, when my main was almost finished gearing for BWL. I don't remember having any trouble. Quite the opposite actually, those few bouts I had with similar leveled alliance were quite fun :)

These were my most obvious rules for alt leveling (I can only speak for Horde):
  • Avoid Stranglethorn Vale until at least lvl 35 if you don't want to be a target, unfortunately there is no way around leveling here, which is also you will most probably get ganked
  • Avoid going deeper into Stonetalon Mountains than Malaka'Jin until at least lvl 24 for similar reasons
  • Try to avoid travelling to Zoram'Gar early, can be nightmarish, not just because of PvP, I usually wait until lvl 23, when I go to BFD
  • If leveling after Dire Maul release, avoid roads in Feralas, most but not all 60s will just want to get to the entrance and not risk escalation
  • Don't even try questing in Un'Goro Crater until you are level 53 & when you do, don't be near Devilsaur spawns
  • Avoid Felwood between 06:00pm and 08:00pm, 60s in large numbers will be getting their world buffs
  • Generally try to get into higher level zones 1-2 levels above requirement
  • If leveling is what you want, act like it. Most people will leave you alone if you leave them alone (except for STV and SM)

Rinku < the Druid > - For the HORDE - Gehennas, EU
Westfall
User avatar
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Posts: 49
Likes: 30
Alliance
Hunter
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

This thread made me go PvP after all. I really want a easy leveling experience but I also want to do/be part of cool PvP stuff later in the game/at max level.

I am in no rush to 60, and I guess the ganking back in the day wasn't too bad, so I should just go PvP and struggle a bit but have a better time eventually at level cap.

   Selexin
Blasted Lands
User avatar
EU Firemaw
Posts: 203
Likes: 124
Human
Warlock
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Will also be going PvP, while lvling on private servers I've had only a few problems with gankers, and could easily avoid them by just moving to different areas to quest / grind instead…

The worst ganking / griefing i've had was a same faction mage polymorphing all my mobs when they got low..... :mad: :mad:
If you do that to warriors you deserve die be corpse camped daily

EU - Firemaw
Alliance Warlock
Warrior Fury
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1218
Likes: 808
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Rinkusan wrote:
1 year ago
Stfuppercut wrote:
1 year ago
I can say that leveling on a private server with 12k people online at a ~50/50 faction balance was a fucking bloodbath.
My experience was actually quite different. I also leveled an alt long after launch, when my main was almost finished gearing for BWL. I don't remember having any trouble. Quite the opposite actually, those few bouts I had with similar leveled alliance were quite fun :)
Bahahaha! Yes, I can imagine our experiences were very different based on all your self-imposed rules! You were like a bubble boy! Hahaha, but I love it.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
10 months ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Druid Feral
User avatar
EU Gehennas
Posts: 161
Likes: 81
Tauren
Druid
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
1 year ago
Rinkusan wrote:
1 year ago
Stfuppercut wrote:
1 year ago
I can say that leveling on a private server with 12k people online at a ~50/50 faction balance was a fucking bloodbath.
My experience was actually quite different. I also leveled an alt long after launch, when my main was almost finished gearing for BWL. I don't remember having any trouble. Quite the opposite actually, those few bouts I had with similar leveled alliance were quite fun :)
Bahahaha! Yes, I can imagine our experiences were very different based on all your self-imposed rules! You were like a bubble boy! Hahaha, but I love it.
You'd be surprised how much more bubbly you can get. A friend just went from grinding spot to grinding spot, avoiding questing in contested zones altogether, which is of course really shit XP/h since the efficient grinding spots are also quite well known :)

   Selexin
Rinku < the Druid > - For the HORDE - Gehennas, EU
Similar topics
to 'PvP or PvE server Advice'
Posts ViewsLast post

Latest Blue Posts

View all
  • Screenshot of the Month

    View gallery