Warrior Fury
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1218
Likes: 808
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Solveig wrote:
1 year ago
Stfuppercut wrote:
1 year ago
Solveig wrote:
1 year ago
Personally, I'm not a fan of TBC and I wouldn't want Blizzard pushing past Classic. Things like gearing, flying mounts, gold drops, etc all served to undermine Classic and all the achievements you made. Horizontal gearing on par with Naxx or even a little above doesn't nullify Classic quite like the Helboar Carving Blade did.
Then dont play BC. Surely when they make Classic BC, you don't anticipate that ALL Classic servers will be forced into BC do you? That would be silly. They will make choices to retain subs. Forcing Classic vanilla players into BC, will lose them a lot of subs.
There's an implication here that Blizzard won't push players into TBC. I don't trust them enough not to do that. If they bring out TBC, I doubt they would want to fracture their playerbase into 3 portions. Splitting the playerbase between BFA and Classic was a big enough deal as is.
Yes. Money. Companies like money. I think it would be a pretty safe bet that your Vanilla character would be safe on a vanilla realm because large organizations love money.

   ShamelessEU
g0bledyg00k wrote:
9 months ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Ashenvale
User avatar
Posts: 270
Likes: 160
Alliance
Shaman
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I think the cheapest, yet best path, would be to release a "new" TBC.

Not optimal for us that they move away from old Azeroth, but it hits a spot where things will be both familiar and new.

No flying mounts. No "Eredar Draenei" (Just mutated Draenei). Add high elves to the Alliance and Forsaken Elves to Horde. Keep Paladins and Shaman Faction specific, use new abilities and talent trees (same directions, but fresher), but reuse old art assets as much as possible (Blizz's gotta save cash on this after all.)

No flying mounts. Rework the zones that need them in Outlands to not need them. Eliminate those stupid Naaru too and instead of Shattrath we have outposts that Turalyon and Alleria, etc. built and Horde can ally itself with some blood thirsty orc clan. Mag'har were kinda weird but I guess they could keep them.

Make the Azshara crater BG instead of arenas that ruined a lot of classes that had roles in BGs but none in the meta.

Optional: Instead of continuing Classic servers into "new" TBC, start new servers for TBC and eliminate the old raids to avoid power creep and set the stats down lower instead of competing with T3.

Ironforge
User avatar
Posts: 4
Likes: 3
Alliance
Hunter
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Off topic in forms of serious content. But I hope they will do micro holidays. Wouldn’t break classic but enjoyable.

   Selexin ShamelessEU
Warsong Gulch
User avatar
Posts: 18
Likes: 26
Paladin
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

It has been very interesting to read your opinions, I would personally love to see new content post naxx.

Blasted Lands
User avatar
EU Firemaw
Posts: 203
Likes: 124
Human
Warlock
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Would love a TBC realm a few years after Classic release. Would prefer a character copy to it but I would not mind having to lvl up once again on it. Anything other new content added to Classic is a gamebreaker for me and I honestly never think it will happen, thank god.

   Selexin Stfuppercut
EU - Firemaw
Alliance Warlock
Blasted Lands
User avatar
EU Firemaw
Posts: 203
Likes: 124
Human
Warlock
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Padrenn wrote:
1 year ago
Off topic in forms of serious content. But I hope they will do micro holidays. Wouldn’t break classic but enjoyable.
When did they add it? I think the vinterweilthingy was always there? And we have the gurubashi fishing tournament every Sunday still! Sooo looking forward to that and the mayhem that it was if you did not find a secure enough spot

EU - Firemaw
Alliance Warlock
User avatar
Posts: 285
Likes: 47
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Linguine wrote:
1 year ago
I think the cheapest, yet best path, would be to release a "new" TBC.

Not optimal for us that they move away from old Azeroth, but it hits a spot where things will be both familiar and new.

No flying mounts. No "Eredar Draenei" (Just mutated Draenei). Add high elves to the Alliance and Forsaken Elves to Horde. Keep Paladins and Shaman Faction specific, use new abilities and talent trees (same directions, but fresher), but reuse old art assets as much as possible (Blizz's gotta save cash on this after all.)

No flying mounts. Rework the zones that need them in Outlands to not need them. Eliminate those stupid Naaru too and instead of Shattrath we have outposts that Turalyon and Alleria, etc. built and Horde can ally itself with some blood thirsty orc clan. Mag'har were kinda weird but I guess they could keep them.

Make the Azshara crater BG instead of arenas that ruined a lot of classes that had roles in BGs but none in the meta.

Optional: Instead of continuing Classic servers into "new" TBC, start new servers for TBC and eliminate the old raids to avoid power creep and set the stats down lower instead of competing with T3.
I would prefer that to just releasing #nochanges TBC, but I doubt Blizzard would so do it. Might be too controversial.

Deadwind Pass
User avatar
US Grobbulus
Posts: 229
Likes: 124
Orc
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I don't know if someone mention it already, but as a Lineage II veteran, I'll like to see wow do the same as Lineage II Classic first patches. Where they added a few spells from later expansions, same with items and cosmetics without making classes powerful nor op.
Making new set tiers is a cool idea, giving a place to dead talent builds and diversity in raid meta play.
But we will have to wait to see.

<Surge>
Grobbulus - RPPvP
Warrior Fury
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1218
Likes: 808
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
I would prefer that to just releasing #nochanges TBC, but I doubt Blizzard would so do it. Might be too controversial.
It just wont net the same amount of profit. Rerelease TBC as it was, continuing forth the precedent they have set with Classic and limiting their own development costs OR go down the rabbit hole of changing major portions of the game to appease very distinct segments of the population and decreasing the overall demographic that the game appeals to. It makes no business sense. It costs more, it will likely appeal to a smaller audience and it comes with a gigantic risk. Rereleasing the game as it was, is a simple and straightforward choice.

Imagine yourself pitching your own version of "what is best" to a developer that is working within a tight budget. Exepecting that Blizz takes a chance with this nobody and build HIS ultimate version of the game in hopes that it will generate a profit? Spend MORE to invest into this nobody than would be required to just rerelease the game? Take a chance that the whole project shits the bed and you lose your investment? Or release the game as it was to an audience of lemmings that are chanting "no changes" for a VERY small development cost and collect a BIG fat paycheck? Hmm.... This would be SUCH a hard decision to make. Not.

We all have our own ideal versions of the game. There is little crossover between them... This is where the #nochanges slogan actually holds some weight. If we just stick to the game as it was, no one has the chance of messing anything up. I personally like the idea of horizontal content, but you're talking about boats and housing and ALL sorts of garbage that sounds like a complete and total nightmare! This is why no ONE individual can/should have a say. Despite the potential for horizontal content, its safer for Blizz to just maintain course. Some changes are inevitable, which is why you don't hear me chanting #nochanges, but overall its the safest bet to just keep it close to the original and cash some checks.

Classic for 2 years. New retail xpac in the next 2 years. BC Classic right after Classic runs its course. Another retail Xpac in 4-5 years. WotLK right after BC has ran its course... Lots of money. All the content has been created. Minimal investment for Blizz. The question of what they will do, answers itself. Money. They will make the choice that earns them money. Mitigate risk and collect money.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
9 months ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Druid Balance
User avatar
Posts: 52
Likes: 28
Horde
Druid
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I don't want TBC, mainly because of flying mounts. Fucks up alot of the community.

Guest
Posts:
Likes: 0
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Shamanigans wrote:
1 year ago
...it would end up being like Michael Scott from The Office.
I see nothing wrong with this.

Rogue Combat
User avatar
US Westfall
Posts: 211
Likes: 144
Orc
Rogue
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Guest wrote:
1 year ago
Shamanigans wrote:
1 year ago
...it would end up being like Michael Scott from The Office.
I see nothing wrong with this.
He's got a point...

I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!!!!!

User avatar
Posts: 285
Likes: 47
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
1 year ago
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
I would prefer that to just releasing #nochanges TBC, but I doubt Blizzard would so do it. Might be too controversial.
It just wont net the same amount of profit. Rerelease TBC as it was, continuing forth the precedent they have set with Classic and limiting their own development costs OR go down the rabbit hole of changing major portions of the game to appease very distinct segments of the population and decreasing the overall demographic that the game appeals to. It makes no business sense. It costs more, it will likely appeal to a smaller audience and it comes with a gigantic risk. Rereleasing the game as it was, is a simple and straightforward choice.

Imagine yourself pitching your own version of "what is best" to a developer that is working within a tight budget. Exepecting that Blizz takes a chance with this nobody and build HIS ultimate version of the game in hopes that it will generate a profit? Spend MORE to invest into this nobody than would be required to just rerelease the game? Take a chance that the whole project shits the bed and you lose your investment? Or release the game as it was to an audience of lemmings that are chanting "no changes" for a VERY small development cost and collect a BIG fat paycheck? Hmm.... This would be SUCH a hard decision to make. Not.

We all have our own ideal versions of the game. There is little crossover between them... This is where the #nochanges slogan actually holds some weight. If we just stick to the game as it was, no one has the chance of messing anything up. I personally like the idea of horizontal content, but you're talking about boats and housing and ALL sorts of garbage that sounds like a complete and total nightmare! This is why no ONE individual can/should have a say. Despite the potential for horizontal content, its safer for Blizz to just maintain course. Some changes are inevitable, which is why you don't hear me chanting #nochanges, but overall its the safest bet to just keep it close to the original and cash some checks.

Classic for 2 years. New retail xpac in the next 2 years. BC Classic right after Classic runs its course. Another retail Xpac in 4-5 years. WotLK right after BC has ran its course... Lots of money. All the content has been created. Minimal investment for Blizz. The question of what they will do, answers itself. Money. They will make the choice that earns them money. Mitigate risk and collect money.
I understand. My perspective is a bit different, since I was involved with Classic while it was in development. Blizzard proposed a bunch of changes during the development of TBC. I refused to even buy it, and abandoned WoW all together. That doesn't give my ideas for post-classic content any more merit, but I have pretty good understanding of what made Classic distinct.

Warrior Fury
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1218
Likes: 808
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
I understand. My perspective is a bit different, since I was involved with Classic while it was in development. Blizzard proposed a bunch of changes during the development of TBC. I refused to even buy it, and abandoned WoW all together. That doesn't give my ideas for post-classic content any more merit, but I have pretty good understanding of what made Classic distinct.
You and everyone else here. Everyone has an idea of what made Classic distinct. Here is a nice piece from Mark Kern about your gaming ideas...



Bear in mind that your idea isnt even your idea. You are taking someone elses idea and directing them how to shape it.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
9 months ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
User avatar
Posts: 285
Likes: 47
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
1 year ago
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
1 year ago
I understand. My perspective is a bit different, since I was involved with Classic while it was in development. Blizzard proposed a bunch of changes during the development of TBC. I refused to even buy it, and abandoned WoW all together. That doesn't give my ideas for post-classic content any more merit, but I have pretty good understanding of what made Classic distinct.
You and everyone else here. Everyone has an idea of what made Classic distinct. Here is a nice piece from Mark Kern about your gaming ideas...



Bear in mind that your idea isnt even your idea. You are taking someone elses idea ahnd directing them how to shape it.
I helped with the development of Classic WoW, long before it was released to the public. Some of my "ideas" were in the game to an extent. I argued against the fundamental changes that TBC brought, which led me to abandon the game. None of that makes my ideas for post-content Classic any more valid than yours however. It is easy to criticize TBC in hindsight, but I knew back then that WoW would never be the same.

Warrior Fury
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1218
Likes: 808
Gnome
Warrior
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Yea, I think its important to understand a developers perspective, hence the video I linked. Ideas are well and good, we all have our own, but when you start to think logically about things from a business standpoint, it helps keep the conversation grounded. I'm not sure about your ties to Blizzard, we can all claim we are part of Classic without any evidence, but this is a piece coming straight from the prophet himself. Really shows some insight into Blizzards take on these sorts of proposed changes, especially on a game that is THEIR intellectual property.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
9 months ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
User avatar
Posts: 285
Likes: 47
1 year ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

The idea for Classic WoW was not very original. Even Mark Kern would admit that. The challenge they faced was how much can you change without killing the MMO and Roleplaying roots of the game? They turned WoW into more of a lobby based game with TBC. It worked to a degree. The subscription count grew. They shed many of the MMORPG features that built the foundation of Classic. At the time, it sort of made sense to go down that path. Look at gaming nowadays. The most popular games are lobby based with queue systens. TBC was ahead of its time in some ways. Eventually a lot of lobby/queue system games were released after TBC, and they offered more refined PvP and PvP gameplay than WoW Arena or Dungeons. This is partly why WoW subscriptions declined.

Classic WoW was designed using the framework of the original mmorpgs. Where MMO and RPG matterrd above all else. The dungeons and raids were not going to be instanced. They didn't add a battleground queue system to Classic until many months after launch, and cross-server battlegrounds weren't available until the very end. Blizzard made a lot of changes to the MMORPG model to make the game more accessible to all players. The question is at what point did they go too far.

Similar topics
to 'Post-Classic Using Horizontal Content'
Posts ViewsLast post

Latest Blue Posts

View all
  • Screenshot of the Month

    View gallery