Arathi Highlands
Horde Warrior 40 posts
3 months ago (Beta)
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Honestly, personally thinking about it... I would still be annoyed if you had to pay money to reserve names, but I actually think I would be less annoyed if it was just a 'reserve name' fee and not 'you need to sub.'

Mage Frost
52 posts
Gnome
Mage
Gnome Mage 52 posts
3 months ago (Beta)
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I wouldn't surprised if this whole thing is a way to keep the Activision (read: bad) part away from Classic. It's like Blizzard saying "yeah you'll get your cash grab", but in reality this whole thing is a way smaller deal than it's blown up to be. I mean, how often when you create a new account somewhere or a new character on a private server is your name actually taken? For me, it's never.

Rogue Assassination
Guild:

Waiting on Realms

Horde Warlock 112 posts
3 months ago (Beta)
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Bumlebi wrote:
3 months ago
I wouldn't surprised if this whole thing is a way to keep the Activision (read: bad) part away from Classic. It's like Blizzard saying "yeah you'll get your cash grab", but in reality this whole thing is a way smaller deal than it's blown up to be. I mean, how often when you create a new account somewhere or a new character on a private server is your name actually taken? For me, it's never.
Well take a look at your name and then look at mine, everyone can guess which name is taken first (and in my case very fast).

With BfA currently estimating at a 3.5m playerbase Classic is more than a cash grab, it's a lifeline for Activision Blizzard.

Mage Frost
52 posts
Gnome
Mage
Gnome Mage 52 posts
3 months ago (Beta)
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Raven wrote:
3 months ago
Bumlebi wrote:
3 months ago
Well take a look at your name and then look at mine, everyone can guess which name is taken first (and in my case very fast).

With BfA currently estimating at a 3.5m playerbase Classic is more than a cash grab, it's a lifeline for Activision Blizzard.
With cash grab I meant that the name reservations was the closest they could get to a cash grab for now, seeing there's no ingame shop (god forbid there ever will be).

And yeah, I see the point about your name vs. mine. Personally, that's why I don't give with names from the dictionary. For a period quite a while back, I wanted to go with Anubis, but due to obvious reasons I was denied that name so many times I just gave up. I understand that not everyone wants to do this, and then yeah, I can see the annoyance in having to pay for your name.

I think this whole issue is just an embodiment of 2019 game publisher culture. There's no pre-orders for Classic - instead we will have name reservations. Sucks to be on the consumer side, but I guess the masses and several years of poor consumption culture are at fault

Rogue Assassination
Guild:

Waiting on Realms

Horde Warlock 112 posts
3 months ago (Beta)
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Bumlebi wrote:
3 months ago
I think this whole issue is just an embodiment of 2019 game publisher culture. There's no pre-orders for Classic - instead we will have name reservations. Sucks to be on the consumer side, but I guess the masses and several years of poor consumption culture are at fault
Idk the amount of times I've missed getting names due to dumb stuff like server limits etc or a random bug

At least with name res no one will actually be logging in and lagging/limiting the server

Warrior Protection
Horde Warrior 22 posts
3 months ago (Beta)
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I think this is nice, a good incentive for people to pay attention to the development process and all that

42 posts
Alliance
Warlock
Alliance Warlock 42 posts
2 months ago (Beta)
2 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

It’s a good idea. Gives the chance to ninja streamer names.

kaio
Shaman Restoration
Discord:

Mintyy#4395

Bnet:

Mintis#2638

5 posts
Troll
Shaman
Troll Shaman 5 posts
2 months ago (Beta)
2 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'd say it's a nice feature to have, also you'll probably save like 1-2 minutes if you're able to make the character ahead of launch! That's at least one or two boars killed.

Loch modan
112 posts
Dwarf
Warrior
Dwarf Warrior 112 posts
2 months ago (Beta)
2 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Its a good feature for people who want to use some highly contested/common names. This way you dont have to sacrifice customizing your charakter for a better shot at getting the name. Also you know in advance if you get your name and can settle for a different one if needed.
Meanwhile for folks like me who rock a wonky/unique name its rather insignificant.

Warlock Demonology
Human Warlock 32 posts
2 months ago (Beta)
2 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

It would have been nice if they offered this three days or so before launch instead of a week and a half. I would like to think this is more Blizzard offering a little convenience bonus to current subscribers than a cash grab but that is likely as well.

Mulgore
Tauren 170 posts
2 months ago (Beta)
2 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I wonder how well they'll police the names. Will I be able to use the names Dicksmash, Cuntthrust, Sploogemaster, etc?

Of course I don't know who I'm kidding here, I'm just going to use variations of the Bloodspray moniker, like I have for the last almost 20 years of online gaming.

I have nothing fancy to add here, but if you've never played Binary Domain, you should.
Darkshore
6 posts
Alliance
Mage
Alliance Mage 6 posts
2 months ago (Beta)
2 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Jon Bloodspray wrote:
2 months ago
I wonder how well they'll police the names. Will I be able to use the names Dicksmash, Cuntthrust, Sploogemaster, etc?

Of course I don't know who I'm kidding here, I'm just going to use variations of the Bloodspray moniker, like I have for the last almost 20 years of online gaming.
I imagine you'll have to load the client to actually create the names, and those restrictions will still be there.

Warrior Protection
Discord:

teebling#5444

Bnet:

Teeb#2674

525 posts
Orc
Warrior
Orc Warrior 525 posts
2 months ago (Beta)
2 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Jon Bloodspray wrote:
2 months ago
Definitely not on the RP realms anyway. That for sure is going to be enforced.

1 post
1 month ago (Beta)
1 month ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Executive wrote:
3 months ago
I'm not a fan because they're requiring a subscription just for that.

When you combine it with Blizzard making the odd change from 'sub required to play beta, anyone can sign up' over to 'sub required to sign up AND play' it's pretty clear they're after a cash grab any way they can.

Not a fan.
Well, theyre dumping alot of money into it and haveing to pay for all the classic servers too. Its not a cash grab when now they have to maintain the retail wow and classic now. Especially when Retail might tank in numbers after classic or classic will fail and all that money they spent is now lost. Or both will continue to do great. Makes sense to make you have an active subscription so they can also see how many people are willing to continue paying to play.

Not a cash grab

61 posts
Horde
Horde 61 posts
1 month ago (Beta)
1 month ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I think it's cool they're allowing people an opportunity to reserve a few character names in advance of release.

If you feel it's a cash grab or have some fundamental issue with it, don't participate. There's no guarantee you'll be the first to snag your desired name anyway. If you plan to snag a common/popular name, make sure you have a couple back-ups or alternate spellings in the event you don't get what you want.

I'm not sure I understand why this is such a big deal. The player makes the name, not vice versa.

Cheers.

Silverpine Forest
Discord:

PM me (has symbols)

Bnet:

deaths#11463

71 posts
Undead
Warlock
Undead Warlock 71 posts
1 month ago (Beta)
1 month ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

not too bothered by it, like its only 2 weeks before release so its not like theyre trying to get a long time of sub off you just to get your names. might even redownload the full retail client and see what a shitfest everything is on there, check out the world and my characters and everything. and i think its probably for the opposite reason of what you suggested, to stop bots going on at launch and reserving a whole 50 names for resale. now if theres people who'll do that, they only get 3.

Arathi Basin
Guild:

GRIND

Undead Priest 309 posts
1 month ago (Beta)
1 month ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I do not care about my name in the end. If I get 'Aeh' I take it, if not I use just something random. The character name is soooo unimportant to me. So we will see! :)

Undead Priest @ <GRIND>
Twitch Channel, feel free to take a look :)!
Thunder Bluff
Horde Druid 18 posts
1 month ago (Beta)
1 month ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Probably not reserving my name either and even though I'll only start playing by the second week of September I'm not the least bit worried of my two main characters names' being taken. In retail there is one person who right now has the same name as me and the char is from someone that started playing WoW a long time ago (has wow 4th anniversary achievement etc). So what I am guessing it that it's actually someone I have played with before and took the name for their Deathknight over on Kazzak. So I'm not really expecting this person to use the name on a bunch of servers even if it's taken over on one of them. As for the name of my other main I'm guessing it will be taken because there will be a gazillion of them so either I make a variation with ¨, ^ or something like that or I will pick a name of one of my bank alts which usually aren't taken. For obvious reasons none of the names is Beatrice! :)

Tirisfal Glades
188 posts
Alliance
Warrior
Alliance Warrior 188 posts
1 month ago (Beta)
1 month ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I think 3 is good and I don’t mind subbing for it either.
I’m looking forward to the realm list.

Blizzard Entertainment
You think you do, but you don’t
4 posts
Tauren
Druid
Tauren Druid 4 posts
1 month ago (Beta)
1 month ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Rakeem wrote:
3 months ago
 Blizzard Entertainment
If you’re eager to claim your character name in WoW Classic, take note: we’ll be opening character creation on Tuesday, August 13.** Players with an active subscription or game time on their account will be able to create up to three characters per World of Warcraft account. We’ll have more information on realm names closer to launch, but rest assured—you’ll have plenty of time to figure out your plans for realm domination!
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/ ... g-schedule

What are your thoughts on being able to reserve three names before the game is launched? Do you think this will allow bots with basic accounts to reserve names intended for resale?

I am personally not a fan because I have a long list of names that I would like to get on different servers and this will limit me to only three in the beginning.
Does someone know the technicality behind the name reservations? i read somewhere that when you delete a character in retail wow,
the characters name is still "reserved" for you for a limited time period (think it's a month). If this is the case, i will definetly be creating a random character asap and delete it, then choose my preferred race and customization options.

Any input from you guys :)? anyone with more info on this?

Rogue Assassination
Discord:

atkars#4238

Bnet:

atkars#2198

67 posts
Tauren
Shaman
Tauren Shaman 67 posts
1 month ago (Beta)
1 month ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

@Mom, you definitely need a name reservation. :mrgreen:

For me I will not reserve my own because I am the only user, the creator, but will take a few for my alts.

Rogue Combat
Guild:

Super Adventure Club

Orc Rogue 188 posts
1 month ago (Beta)
1 month ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'll be honest, I'm mostly doing this for my bank alt name... :lol:

Gotta make sure I get *CENSORED* for that AH goodness :cool:

Paladin Protection
Human Priest 82 posts
1 month ago (Beta)
1 month ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'm a bit late to the party here but thank you for posting the news! I appreciate that this give me an opportunity to secure signature names for my characters, but I'm upset at the fact that I will very likely be re-subbing for the sake vanity. I have no interest in retail and subbing for August 13th just to secure names seems to me like a waste of playtime (money) unless I dabble in BFA while I wait for deliverance later that month. Clever Blizzard, clever... you knew you'd succeed in appealing to my vanity...

Tirisfal Glades
188 posts
Alliance
Warrior
Alliance Warrior 188 posts
1 month ago (Beta)
1 month ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

couchatron wrote:
1 month ago
I'll be honest, I'm mostly doing this for my bank alt name... :lol:

Gotta make sure I get *CENSORED* for that AH goodness :cool:
Bank more important than main :confused: that’s a first :mrgreen:

Blizzard Entertainment
You think you do, but you don’t
Felwood
Guild:

<Four Talons>

Discord:

<Four Talons>

132 posts
Gnome
Mage
Gnome Mage 132 posts
1 month ago (Beta)
1 month ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

This is still going to be a major shit show when the access to name creation is granted.
The site is going to get DDOS'd by the amount of players logging into it to be first... The Access will not be granted exactly on time and I guarantee everyone that manages to get on will be creating the same names all at once.

Earth-Names will be gone instantly.... Bill, Bob and Cindy will be reserved and sold to someone later on who wants the name for £10 on ebay.
There will be 10's of 1000's of Sodapoppin's and Swifty's trying to get the name for themselves.

This won't turn out like everyone hopes.

| Kazumi - Frost Mage | Golemagg PVP|