
Inspired by the neighboring movie thread, I figured I should share some of the series I've been watching this season (and close to it). Compared to the early 2000s, it's getting harder to find good shows, and the whole industry barely resembles television these days, but you can still find some gems.
- DTF ST. Louis - Ordinarily I wouldn't consider a show with such a title. What got me interested is it being made by Steve Conrad. The man's done with his self-imposed puppet exile and is back to making great TV. Immediately you can see it's a Conrad production. It's full of the same vibe as Patriot and Perpetual Grace, but with a cast of more big name actors. It's best not to mention what the actual show is about as the discovery is what makes it fun, but if you're a Conrad fan, or just like slightly odd, well-made TV, this is a great watch.
- Widow's Bay - I don't like horror. I don't understand the point of horror. But I got convinced to try this show, and ended up thoroughly enjoying it. The comedy and the craft there are top notch and something everyone can enjoy. I'm told, it's even better if you actually know horror, so that all the sneaky references land better (I mostly just spotted Twin Peaks stuff).
- Tracker - one of the very few shows these days that still feels like an actual show. Yearly seasons, 20+ episodes, an overarching plot with mostly case-of-the-week episodes. Back in 2010, it wouldn't be anything notable. Today, it's a breath of fresh air. Plus, it has Dean Winchester being basically Dean Winchester again in a handful of episodes.
- High Potential - I really liked the first season, mostly for the same reasons as Tracker, but also for the fun the show had with everything. I dropped it halfway through season 2. The overarching mystery simply got unbearable, the family asides never really go anywhere. And the scope of it is too weird. Every individual case is both grander and more complex than the big show mystery of a disappearing small time crook.
- Matlock - you give me a modern show that tries to reimagine an old classic, and you run a high chance of getting spat on. Magnum PI, MacGuyver, no thank you. Matlock isn't at all like that. The name does more harm than good here. This is a standalone legal drama with a nice twist that doesn't even attempt at aping the actual Matlock. The name is a reference to a running bit here about the protagonist's secret identity. I've read that the second season had some casting issues, and haven't seen it, but the first impressed me enough that I'll definitely be getting to it.
- Twisted Metal - probably my favorite ongoing show. Whether you liked the games or know nothing about them, you're bound to enjoy the crazy action, likeable characters, and cool action sequences. This to me is a much better post-apocalyptic video game adaptation than Fallout.

I've been rewatching Miami Vice this summer. Now that's a show.
On top of being a piece of legendary TV and a template for a lot of shows to come, all the cameos keep you pointing at the screen like in that Leo Dicaprio meme. Bruce Willis, Giancarlo Esposito, Liam Neeson. Everyone's in there.
They even built a whole episode around Phil Collins after how well his soundtrack worked for the pilot.

Widow's Bay has been on my list but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'll have to check that out soon.
I've been really enjoying House of the Dragon. I also liked A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. Wonder if they have any other Game of Thrones spinoffs coming up or if we'll be waiting a while.



