Hey guys. Super short on time here - I have a big list of things I need to do for the site tomorrow afternoon which is the only time I’ll get inbetween the mad studying.
There’s definitely a slowdown on all viewtopic.php pages after patch 1.9 - could anyone savvy here help me save some time by web inspecting the page load and posting results here with a view to identifying what the offending script/element is that is causing this slowdown? I’d do it myself ofc but don’t have access to my computer right now etc.
I have a feeling its some external script or perhaps a server performance issue with dreamhost but just a guess.
Sorry guys for not seeing this straight away - hope to fix asap and that it hasnt been too annoying.
Edit: think it's fixed!
Not too worry. BC is epic even when it's slow
Let me check it
So after a minor investigation even to barren's zhevra its clear the slowliness causes server-side problem ttbf delay, i've checked every issues that takes more than 3000 ms. The most longest took me almost 19000 ms. First googled link might help.
By the https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=25185/itch of https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=2669/sheri-zipstitch, I say ! It's too many https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=16142/cadaver-worms like Nymbus crawling around here combined with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=5272/insane-scribbles from the likes of Iron Schnitzler !! Not even Barrens can hold so much https://classic.wowhead.com/object=2425 ... urbed-dirt at once !!!
Just refreshing this page with an inspector window open, all scripts/resources seem to take a standard amount of time, except for viewtopic.php itself, which is stuck in 'waiting for server' for 2369ms. Everything else takes less than 200ms for the entire load, viewtopic.php is 2446ms for the entire load. It's either something with the server or something the php itself.
Looking at the flame chart, there's no outright problems with DOM rendering or JS execution. You'll need to debug the PHP, which we can't do on our side.
EDIT: Posting this was a 10155ms 'waiting', again no DOM/JS execution issues. I think something in the PHP is just hammering your server.
EDIT2: Now that I think about it, some of your questions in the 'Help getting Blizzard API working' concern me. You aren't making API calls in the PHP, are you?
Nothing to add, just chiming in to confirm recent slowness from both my work VPN and home network.
Hey I had a more detailed look at this issue today. Getting loads of errors like this in my server log and most of them are about viewtopic.php:
Code: Select all
[Mon Apr 29 09:59:44 2019] [warn] [client xxx.xxx.xx.xxx] (104)Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server, referer: https://barrens.chat/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1314&p=8953 [Mon Apr 29 09:59:44 2019] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xx.xxx] Premature end of script headers: posting.php, referer: https://barrens.chat/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1314&p=8953
Seeing some really high latency and it's before even making the request. Something definitely getting hung up on:
I just don't know what the issue is because debug messages show nothing out of the ordinary and the only indication that something is wrong (aside from the obvious latency) is the errors.
I went back through my changelogs for 1.9 and rolled back new stuff I put in, then tested, but doesn't seem to have made a difference. So yeah, will update you guys when my hosts get back to me.
Soooo sorry about this.
To tell you the truth mate I have no idea.
I did a few things backend and any one of them could have fixed the issue:
- Changed PHP version to 7.1 CGI, killed off PHP processes, changed PHP version back to original 7.2 FastCGI, killed off PHP processes
- Re-uploaded my phprc file to the default one provided
- Checked permissions on viewtopic.php were correct
- Disabled this weird 'extra security' thing that dreamhost were offering me, don't know what it did anyway
That's all I could do back end - I don't run the server myself (shared hosting) so my options were pretty limited. If I had control over the server itself I would have made sure that memory limits set correctly, restarted Apache etc. etc.