Teldrassil
User avatar
Posts: 24
Likes: 17
Night Elf
Druid

1. Vanilla and BC had some of the best music I have ever heard. I love it, and don't want it changed at all for Classic. I'm in no way sick of the music.

2. The sounds are fine for the most part, most sounds are still used in live WoW.

3. I don't care one way or another if we get to use the new models and animations, as long as it's an OPTION.

ImageImage
Druid Feral
User avatar
OC Yojamba
Posts: 901
Likes: 713
Tauren
Druid

Now that I look at the thread name again " #MakeClassicBetter " I almost wonder if this is a troll post against the #NoChanges movement? It just seems completely contradictory to everything that has been announced about the Classic WoW project! This thread triggers me way more than it should hahah.

ImageImage Lvl 48
ImageImage Lvl 35
Silverpine Forest
User avatar
Posts: 391
Likes: 121
Undead
Warrior

The problem with this idea is that replacing means removing, and there will be HELL to pay if you remove the old music and sound effects.

A toggle is fine, I guess.

Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.
Silverpine Forest
User avatar
Posts: 113
Likes: 33
Orc
Hunter

Any information upon new graphics and textures? Will it looks like in retail?

Druid Feral
User avatar
OC Yojamba
Posts: 901
Likes: 713
Tauren
Druid

Kchlangendin wrote:
5 months ago
Any information upon new graphics and textures? Will it looks like in retail?
I think they have a couple of toggles to go to newer textures/shader, with the classic graphics options there by default.

ImageImage Lvl 48
ImageImage Lvl 35
Elwynn Forest
User avatar
Posts: 29
Likes: 19
Human
Warrior

Selexin wrote:
5 months ago
Kchlangendin wrote:
5 months ago
Any information upon new graphics and textures? Will it looks like in retail?
I think they have a couple of toggles to go to newer textures/shader, with the classic graphics options there by default.
Old graphics has nothing special about them and they don't make the game any more fun (but don't tell #nochanges acolytes that!)
Noobs who start with 2004 graphics will convert to modern graphics very soon, believe me.
People who said they "love vanilla soundtracks and don't need more" most probably didn't listen to them for some time. They're good but no music can last you more than a couple months. You'll hate it and gladly mute it after 1000th time.
Selexin wrote:
5 months ago
This thread triggers me way more than it should hahah.
Then gitgud and get rekt son.

Alterac Valley
User avatar
Posts: 281
Likes: 104
Human
Paladin

Muhip wrote:
5 months ago
Old graphics has nothing special about them and they don't make the game any more fun (but don't tell #nochanges acolytes that!)
Noobs who start with 2004 graphics will convert to modern graphics very soon, believe me.
People who said they "love vanilla soundtracks and don't need more" most probably didn't listen to them for some time. They're good but no music can last you more than a couple months. You'll hate it and gladly mute it after 1000th time.

TLDR: #NOCHANGES people are the craziest people on earth!
And here you are totally wrong.

Look at the Remake of Secret of Mana. They made the 2D game all 3D but it was not the same.
Sometimes people just like the Art Style of Games and i think World of Warcraft managed to keep the Art style from Warcraft 3 and made it perfect. If you played WC3 and then thought about how this world would look like and then playing WoW that is exactly how you thought of.

Same with the Soundtrack. They compose those so they match the zone, dungeon, area or whatever and replacing them could destroy the feeling of a zone or the immersion of the players.

It has a reason why so many people like Vanilla more then Retail. I do not say that all WoW player like it more but there are big group of players that just like this old game. People who want better Graphics, better UI, better what ever can go and play on retail or play other MMORPGs that look way better then WoW Retail.

   teebling
My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Warrior Protection
User avatar
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Posts: 1306
Likes: 2505
Orc
Warrior

Muhip wrote:
5 months ago
Selexin wrote:
5 months ago
Kchlangendin wrote:
5 months ago
Any information upon new graphics and textures? Will it looks like in retail?
I think they have a couple of toggles to go to newer textures/shader, with the classic graphics options there by default.
Old graphics has nothing special about them and they don't make the game any more fun (but don't tell #nochanges acolytes that!)
Noobs who start with 2004 graphics will convert to modern graphics very soon, believe me.
I don’t believe anyone who says ‘believe me’.

You’ve made your point about what you think the game should be like, and tbh not many people care about it that much.

When you start calling people noobs and ‘acolytes’ for advocating old graphics though you just make yourself look like an idiot lol.

Why not toggle that stinking attitude off like you will with your ‘old’ graphics buddy?

Elwynn Forest
User avatar
Posts: 29
Likes: 19
Human
Warrior

teebling wrote:
5 months ago
Muhip wrote:
5 months ago
Selexin wrote:
5 months ago
Kchlangendin wrote:
5 months ago
Any information upon new graphics and textures? Will it looks like in retail?
I think they have a couple of toggles to go to newer textures/shader, with the classic graphics options there by default.
Old graphics has nothing special about them and they don't make the game any more fun (but don't tell #nochanges acolytes that!)
Noobs who start with 2004 graphics will convert to modern graphics very soon, believe me.
I don’t believe anyone who says ‘believe me’.

You’ve made your point about what you think the game should be like, and tbh not many people care about it that much.

When you start calling people noobs and ‘acolytes’ for advocating old graphics though you just make yourself look like an idiot lol.

Why not toggle that stinking attitude off like you will with your ‘old’ graphics buddy?
I could never guess anyone could really feel insulted by words "noobs" or "acolytes". But everytime I trigger a nochange acolyte an angel is born in heaven. So I'll keep it up.

Druid Balance
User avatar
Posts: 108
Likes: 86
Troll
Hunter

I just don't get some people, especially on MMO Champion forums. There's a subforum about Vanilla and surprise, surprise - most people posting there are retail fans. They come there to talk shit and berate minority who wants Vanilla and I really don't know why. Why waste time? And from time to time, they propose stuff like @Muhip did here.

Like I said, if it's a toggle, then go on. Otherwise make your own case for Vanilla remake and advocate for it before Blizzard, just like Classic crowd did. What I'm really afraid of is: Classic attracts a lot of retail people bored with lack of content, who will be in majority and will advocate for some junk ideas which will materialize because "majority asked for it".

I realize @Muhip didn't really ask for much, but assumptions were wrong. Some people like old stuff and newer is not always better (IT people will know this really well).

EDIT: One guy on MMO Champion Classic forums literally advocated for NEW tier sets as replacement for T0/T1/T2 because we know them and have seen them a thousand times. :confused:

   CBX
Currently playing Kegtek, troll hunter on Ten Storms EU
I used to play Warn, human mage on The Maelstrom EU <Ashbringer | Rachell's Angels | Entrophy | Relentless>
Warrior Protection
User avatar
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Posts: 1306
Likes: 2505
Orc
Warrior

Muhip wrote:
5 months ago
But everytime I trigger a nochange acolyte an angel is born in heaven. So I'll keep it up.
You won’t ‘keep it up’ because you just got banned.

Freely admitting that your intentions are to aggravate other people here rather than have sensible discussions is a sign to me that you don’t really belong in this community.

If you would like to appeal then you can do so by emailing me - you’ll find my address is in your ban reason message.

   Selexin IronBrutzler
Thunder Bluff
User avatar
Posts: 25
Likes: 14
Horde
Hunter

Muhip wrote:
5 months ago
You are crazy if you are against only aesthetic betterment of the game.
So the qualification for "better" is "newer"? The new sounds and animations in particular change the whole feel of the game. It changes the identity. Personally, I like classic not just for the game mechanics, but that I feel many of the old animations are more appropriate for traditional RPGs. The new animations can be so exaggerated, they're like low-key looney tunes almost. More subtle, weighted animations fit better for the dark undertones that OG wow has. I get we're living in a post-pixarification of everything - where many things have shift toward a family-friendly design and attitude - but back in the 90s and early 2000s many games were made to appeal to (young) adults - this should be preserved otherwise you have a game that feels like it was made in 2012+ not in 2004.

I remember they had to scale back some of the animations in WOD because the went too cartoony with night elves. Just checkout the patch video, the animation on the left looks like a pixar cartoon - very light, quick, exaggerated movements more appropriate for family friendly content - which things like the stitches or kel'thuzad/scholomance story lines are definitely not. Even though they scaled back, many of the NPC and character emotes are still pretty loony tunes - breaks my heart.



But hey, if you don't like the old animations that's ok - but what's popular in game animation now, is not appropriate for something designed in 2004. It'd be an anachronism.

Posts: 143
Likes: 44
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

The point of classic is to be classic. If you don't like it don't play it, after all that's why I don't play now because the expansions eventually ruined and dumbed down the game to the point it is not a fun game anymore. That's why we are getting classic, because Blizz is losing subscribers and are looking for a way to boost their numbers back up and it's working. I haven't played for 9 years but will subscribe a month or so before the release just to play classic. I don't believe I am alone on that.

Ashenvale
User avatar
Posts: 270
Likes: 160
Alliance
Shaman
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I don't agree with the model updates because if I was to say, play a gnome, it would supremely bother me knowing I looked like I had Grave's Disease to a significant portion of the population. Or if say I were playing a Tauren, that instead of a noble and imposing creature I had become a Disney character to my guild.

It may seem like a small thing at first, but we'd never wear clothing IRL that only half the population could see and the other half throught we were naked.

Rogue Combat
User avatar
US Westfall
Posts: 211
Likes: 144
Orc
Rogue
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I would be fine with the updated models and animations IF it was limited to the player. People need to have the option to turn them off.

   Stfuppercut
Warrior Fury
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 1077
Likes: 721
Gnome
Warrior
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

couchatron wrote:
3 months ago
I would be fine with the updated models and animations IF it was limited to the player. People need to have the option to turn them off.
We're necroing but imma jump in on this! Aesthetics are separate from core gameplay philosophies. We need to outline WHY we want Classic and WHAT made Classic special. For most of us, that is community. Updated graphics would appeal to a larger audience (especially with a toggleable option) and thus attract a larger player-base and promote longevity to the project. If you prioritize community, you should prioritize toggleable graphics. The idea that people are opposed to this because they want to dictate how others view their character is a weak argument in my opinion. If I prefer new graphics I will value the look of your character MORE with newer models. Forcing me to see an outdated model so that you can control the outward perception of your character model is silly. Also, not many of us care about your individual character options to the extent that you might hope we do. I can recall my friends races and if they were male/female, but outside of that I cant recollect their individual feature options. Perhaps I am unique in that regard, or perhaps I surrounded myself with people who were competent at leveling and thus played many high level characters simultaneously so I couldnt track specifics.

I have also never had music on. The music is a repeating soundtrack... Enough to make you lose your mind! Music on a loop can be used as torture. New music, old music, either way I will be muting it.

I have friends that wont be playing Classic because they cant get around the old graphics and that is really unfortunate. A toggleable option would have satiated the people who want their version of the game while appealing to a whole new generation of up and comers that could have experienced our game.

Say whatever you want about the quality of art features in the game... They are old. You may like them, and that is fine, but they have aged. Perhaps they have aged well, but they are very very old...

Undercity
User avatar
Posts: 120
Likes: 56
Horde
Shaman
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Vanilla music is just unbeatable in terms of having the ability to transport you somewhere. Sound effects I'll admit I'm more than a little nostalgic for, but they weren't offensive to me. The animations are probably the one thing I'd want to have revamped, but I don't care if they do or don't.

Felwood
User avatar
Posts: 183
Likes: 73
Gnome
Mage
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Blizzard removed a lot of sound effects from retail like hammer of the righteous ->
I loved that noise I don't understand why they changed it.

when I played the expansions and killed quest monsters like harpies they had seriously annoying voice lines when you approach them, is this what you mean by #MakeClassicBetter? I don't mind the yuuuggh YAHHHHHHHHHH sound the nelf makes, nothing really needs changing at all but some more noise in addition could be alright if it's adjustable on the menu, Some vendors could do with a 1-2 more lines in addition to the originals but too much would damage the game.

I'm not bored of the soundtracks of classic, they were the best ones anyway, there is a track for each zone so there is no need to make changes to this.
if you want to listen to something else then play youtube music when you enter a zone with a track you don't like.



Voice emotes are something I would personally add.
"Sometimes, I have trouble CONTROLLING THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE!!!" and all the other voice lines for example have been used for a long time, yes it would be nice to have a few more variants without removing the originals, it doesn't affect game mechanics in any way.

| Kazumi[11] - Frost Mage, Wetpaint[34] - Prot Warrior | Golemagg PVP|
Undercity
User avatar
Posts: 120
Likes: 56
Horde
Shaman
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

WoW's soundtrack may be the best MMO soundtrack I've ever heard.

   Tec
Blasted Lands
User avatar
Posts: 204
Likes: 128
Horde
Priest
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Vanilla had a lot of good things, sound design was one of them.
That and the water looked great.

snickerwicket wrote:
3 months ago
WoW's soundtrack may be the best MMO soundtrack I've ever heard.
TRUE! It’s ear erotica, chills every time.

 Blizzard Entertainment
You think you do, but you don’t
Silverpine Forest
User avatar
OC Arugal
Posts: 120
Likes: 85
Undead
Warlock
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

yeah i dont understand the people who say they cant stand listening to wows music on repeat forever. for one, its basically background ambient music. it doesnt drive you mad at all. plus mostly youre not just staying in one zone in the entire time. if you weren't aware, music actually changes based on where abouts you go. so that just doesn't make sense to me why anyone would hate it so much.
i barely ever listen to other music while im playing wow, because the game sounds are perfectly fine. theres only a couple of zones i cant stand like felwood and epl because the music is just too invasive. but other than that like.
why even try advocate for new game music when you can just on youtube and play some random game shit or fantasy soundtracks or whatnot yourself. wanting blizzard to do the extra work to put compose it and put it in themselves when the majority of people actually don't want it or don't care, is just stupid.

   teebling
Image
Image
Image
Similar topics
to 'New Music, Sound Effects and Animations! #MakeClassicBetter'
Posts ViewsLast post