Alterac Valley
User avatar
donator Posts: 281
Likes: 104
Human
Paladin

Is there a way you could implement a Changelog?

So we and others see what you changed and when. Would be a cool nice to have feature.

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Silithus
User avatar
donator Posts: 52
Likes: 45
Gnome
Rogue

Yea that's a good idea actually, I'll add that next update as well!

Mulgore
User avatar
donator Posts: 45
Likes: 30
Tauren
Warrior

Great time-sync!

When I get out of combat with let's say 93HP. Then reg to like 130HP. And then reload the page I start off at 93HP again.
Bug?

Silithus
User avatar
donator Posts: 52
Likes: 45
Gnome
Rogue

This is something I've done on purpose to increase performance in the browser and to prevent refresh "exploiting" right now it only saves once you hit 100% health. Or if you do an action

   Cram
Stormwind
User avatar
donator Posts: 9
Likes: 12
Alliance
Paladin

DUDE. Fucking DUDE. This is fucking AMAZING.

Listen right, for background, I'm a web developer for many years now. I always worked with the latest tech and all that shit - and this, is, beautiful. This is actually tremendously good work! I'm so interested in this!

What language is it on?
Is it full frontend, or do you have a backend to support it?
How long have you been doing web dev? I saw you started 3 months ago, but for someone with 3 months of experience, this is really good!
Is there a public repo I can take a look on and maybe contribute some code?
Did you do the design yourself?

Arrghh.

edit: here's a few things you could improve on:

  • On click abilities, do a graphical event (e.g. add an inner shadow whilst clicked)
  • Similarly, add a :hover on abilities (maybe inner shadow white with low density)
  • On mouse hover abilities, show their damage, cost, etc
  • Should probably "uglify" the code on webpack compiler to avoid sneak asses like me to read your code and modify it :lol:

   Selexin Defuzed teebling Xolitude
Silithus
User avatar
donator Posts: 52
Likes: 45
Gnome
Rogue

Haha thanks a lot! I started studying web development August last year for the first time, and have been going on/off this project the past 2-3 months.
Right now the project is only frontend made in JavaScript, I am close to getting a bit of backend up and running but it takes time since it's my first time working backend :)

I don't have a public repository since this was just a side school project and have used it as my way of doing most of my school assignments, I will probably make one soon though.

   daisyKutter Selexin
Druid Feral
User avatar
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 944
Likes: 742
Tauren
Druid

Defuzed wrote:
6 months ago
Haha thanks a lot! I started studying web development August last year for the first time, and have been going on/off this project the past 2-3 months.
Right now the project is only frontend made in JavaScript, I am close to getting a bit of backend up and running but it takes time since it's my first time working backend :)

I don't have a public repository since this was just a side school project and have used it as my way of doing most of my school assignments, I will probably make one soon though.
Looks like there are a lot of experienced web devs in this forum, use them to bounce ideas of and get advice, it will be invaluable. Plus the more help you get, the quicker you can implement changes for greedy people like me who want features for this awesome game!!! :)

ImageImage Lvl 60
ImageImage Lvl 35
Stormwind
User avatar
donator Posts: 9
Likes: 12
Alliance
Paladin

@Defuzed, that's great progress then. I suspect you *might* be using React? Considering your low experience (no offense), I assume your use of Webpack is all from the automated React's create-react-app repo? That or VueJS.

You should most definitely push it all to github for a multitude of reasons:

  • You get version control which allows you to see what went wrong/revert
  • You can create PR (pull requests) on your new features and see all the code changes you've done and catch any bad stuff
  • It's the industry standard so it's transferable knowledge to a future job
  • You can make it public and get people to comment or contribute, either way you win because you learn from those
  • Or you can keep it private and still have all of the previous points
  • You can use Github to deploy Continous Integration systems (and learn about them) that continuously deploy once you merge to master
I've got loads of years of web dev, and more importantly, of mentoring new starts, and I could definitely give you many advices to make you advance faster!

Do you have any experience with git?
Did you do the design yourself?

   IronBrutzler Cram
Silithus
User avatar
donator Posts: 52
Likes: 45
Gnome
Rogue

@tedj j i havnet used react or vueJS, the webpack was something we had to try in school and so I applied it to the project, everything is done and coded by me in vanilla js. I got some experience in git as well and use it daily for all my assignments, this one is on a private repo but since it was a standard school assignment when I made it and contain other assignments as well then I said no to the project itself having a repo.

The borders I got from a fan side, icons is from here, background is from wows offecial website and rest is all my work.

zef
donator Posts:
Likes: 0

this is really cool m8
need a username/pass for using on different browsers
its pretty barebones atm but has a lot of potential, enjoying nonetheless
mobile layout when?

Silithus
User avatar
donator Posts: 52
Likes: 45
Gnome
Rogue

Yea I'd like to setup some accounts but it would be my first time trying, I haven't had time to do that many updates lately since I have a big school project going atm. No ETA on when this will work on phone. But it will come for sure.

   couchatron
Mulgore
User avatar
donator Posts: 45
Likes: 30
Tauren
Warrior

tedj wrote:
6 months ago
[....]
You should most definitely push it all to github for a multitude of reasons:
[...]
I support that request. I'd like to contribute too

   Defuzed
Silithus
User avatar
donator Posts: 52
Likes: 45
Gnome
Rogue

UPDATE

I have just added a new update to the game, this makes mage a playable class as well, and adds an array of creatures you can encounter in each zone. I havn't finished adding all the creatures just yet, but for the first 5-6 zones you have atleast 2 creatures. I've done some balancing for the classes and added a changelog http://text-craft.com/changelog so everyone can see what changes i make. I'll be making a GitHub repo when i get home so everyone who wants to contribute can do that.

I am still working on other projects and can't focus all my time on this atm, but i'll try to keep coming with updates to the games.

   teebling
Alterac Valley
User avatar
donator Posts: 281
Likes: 104
Human
Paladin

Great update but the spell icons for the mage are missing

Edit:
The boar Icon in Westfall is also missing

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Silithus
User avatar
donator Posts: 52
Likes: 45
Gnome
Rogue

IronBrutzler wrote:
6 months ago
Great update but the spell icons for the mage are missing
They should be back and working now!

EDIT: the firebolt icon doesnt wont to upload.

Alterac Valley
User avatar
donator Posts: 281
Likes: 104
Human
Paladin

Defuzed wrote:
6 months ago
IronBrutzler wrote:
6 months ago
Great update but the spell icons for the mage are missing
They should be back and working now!

EDIT: the firebolt icon doesnt wont to upload.
Fireball and the Boar in Westfall is still missing. Frostbolt is working now

Edit:
Boar is now working ;)

Edit 2:
Wolf icon in Duskwood is also missing

Edit3:
The water is bugged, it only gives you 50 mana once.

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Silithus
User avatar
donator Posts: 52
Likes: 45
Gnome
Rogue

IronBrutzler wrote:
6 months ago
Defuzed wrote:
6 months ago
IronBrutzler wrote:
6 months ago
Great update but the spell icons for the mage are missing
They should be back and working now!

EDIT: the firebolt icon doesnt wont to upload.
Fireball and the Boar in Westfall is still missing. Frostbolt is working now

Edit:
Boar is now working ;)

Edit 2:
Wolf icon in Duskwood is also missing
Now it should be working, it was a file destination error on my part that didn't show as an error in my code so i missed it. Just tested them and they are working now.

Alterac Valley
User avatar
donator Posts: 281
Likes: 104
Human
Paladin

Defuzed wrote:
6 months ago
IronBrutzler wrote:
6 months ago
Defuzed wrote:
6 months ago
IronBrutzler wrote:
6 months ago
Great update but the spell icons for the mage are missing
They should be back and working now!

EDIT: the firebolt icon doesnt wont to upload.
Fireball and the Boar in Westfall is still missing. Frostbolt is working now

Edit:
Boar is now working ;)

Edit 2:
Wolf icon in Duskwood is also missing
Now it should be working, it was a file destination error on my part that didn't show as an error in my code so i missed it. Just tested them and they are working now.
Icons work now, great work

   Defuzed
My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Mulgore
User avatar
donator Posts: 45
Likes: 30
Tauren
Warrior

Suggestion on themes:
Maybe you could do a theme for each race and separate themes for each dungoeon.
The reason I say this is because @teebling already provided nice resources on this.

Guest
donator Posts:
Likes: 0

Cram wrote:
6 months ago
Suggestion on themes:
Maybe you could do a theme for each race and separate themes for each dungoeon.
The reason I say this is because @teebling already provided nice resources on this.
That's exactly what I've been working on, just wanted to hear what people were thinking about it.

Stormwind
User avatar
donator Posts: 9
Likes: 12
Alliance
Paladin

Guest wrote:
6 months ago
Cram wrote:
6 months ago
Suggestion on themes:
Maybe you could do a theme for each race and separate themes for each dungoeon.
The reason I say this is because @teebling already provided nice resources on this.
That's exactly what I've been working on, just wanted to hear what people were thinking about it.
Did you post this as a guest account? Is it you @Defuzed? haha.
I'd still like to contribute. One of the lessons I've learnt over the years is that you can't do anything on your own. This is already "open source" (as one could pull the whole JS frontend), so you could let people give you a hand. You lock down github merges to master to have a requirement (e.g. you accepting them), and not only you could learn a lot, but see your baby grow with the help of others!

If you really just wanna do it on your own, that's also understandable! And just let us know so we stop insisting haha.
Personally I could help you setup continuous integration (you merge a pull request in Github and automatically builds and deploys), setup a backend for accounts/cross browser, and give some help on making it responsible so that it works on mobile!

Silithus
User avatar
donator Posts: 52
Likes: 45
Gnome
Rogue

Guest wrote:
6 months ago
Cram wrote:
6 months ago
Suggestion on themes:
Maybe you could do a theme for each race and separate themes for each dungoeon.
The reason I say this is because @teebling already provided nice resources on this.
That's exactly what I've been working on, just wanted to hear what people were thinking about it.
This was me yea haha. Didn't see I wasn't logged in. I'll be adding it to GitHub probably tomorrow so people can contribute and etc. I always enjoy the input of others, makes me think less about what to make and more about coding the game, which for me is the attractive part of this industry. I already learned how to merge/pull request both in git and manually on GitHub so got that covered.

The backend part is something I REALLY want to learn so I'd be very interested in some help on that front, and then I just need to figure out the design layout on phone and I'll be making that next.

Really appreciate that people want to contribute to this project.

Desolace
User avatar
donator Posts: 11
Likes: 7
Undead
Warrior

Hey, @Defuzed!

I'm very impressed by your work and I hope to be as decent at web-development as you at some point in the future :) I had a similar idea at one point over a year ago and I'm so happy that someone went and ran with the idea because mine would NOT have turned out as great as yours has. I plan to play a bit in my free-time and perhaps offer feedback.

Otherwise, I hope you continue with this and I can't wait to see more :)

Silithus
User avatar
donator Posts: 52
Likes: 45
Gnome
Rogue

Xolitude wrote:
6 months ago
Hey, @Defuzed!

I'm very impressed by your work and I hope to be as decent at web-development as you at some point in the future :) I had a similar idea at one point over a year ago and I'm so happy that someone went and ran with the idea because mine would NOT have turned out as great as yours has. I plan to play a bit in my free-time and perhaps offer feedback.

Otherwise, I hope you continue with this and I can't wait to see more :)
Thanks a lot for the compliment :) Hope you'll enjoy playing it, even tho it is still missing a lot.

Silithus
User avatar
donator Posts: 52
Likes: 45
Gnome
Rogue

For anyone who wants to contribute to this project here is the GitHub link: https://github.com/tobias1709/TextCraft.

All help is appreciated, and hopefully it will learn me a lot of new things on the way.

   teebling IronBrutzler Selexin Zazou Xolitude
Similar topics
to 'TextCraft RPG'
Posts ViewsLast post