Tirisfal Glades
User avatar
Posts: 196
Likes: 234
Undead
Mage

Back when I started to learn how to kill the opposing faction I had no clue how to do it efficiently. It wasn't until a mage called "Faxmonkey" came along and helped straighten my misguided ways. He was the first player I ever saw that consistently killed groups of people and used everything including the environment to aid in his efforts. It wasn't just the way he killed other players but also how he was able to do unthinkable solo kills against dungeon and world bosses. I have since mirrored my playstyle after his and always enjoy going back and watching his old videos.
Who has been your idol, inspiration, or motivator for Classic or throughout you time playing WoW?

Our time will come.
Elwynn Forest
User avatar
EU Shazzrah
Posts: 35
Likes: 28
Horde
Rogue

Grim - made me roll a rogue after watching his movies

   Cletus Relik
ImageImage
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Winterspring
User avatar
Posts: 274
Likes: 208
Horde

edoslawsky wrote:
7 months ago
Grim - made me roll a rogue after watching his movies
Same here mate. Just re-watching his movies right now. Thats also why my alt will be rogue :D Always mained rogue but for this time I decided to main hunter and go with it :)

Image
Silverpine Forest
User avatar
Posts: 45
Likes: 36
Human
Mage

MadSeasonShow.
I started watching his videos like the youngling listens to an old adventurer's tales in a tavern. The more I listened, the more I wanted to try Clasic.

   s1atan
Don't wait for the world to accept you to try and be happy.
Warrior Fury
User avatar
EU Flamelash
Posts: 212
Likes: 99
Horde

Vurtne was always great to watch.

   Cletus Relik rijndael
Shaman Enhancement
User avatar
Posts: 363
Likes: 130
Troll
Shaman

Iolden wrote:
7 months ago
MadSeasonShow.
I started watching his videos like the youngling listens to an old adventurer's tales in a tavern. The more I listened, the more I wanted to try Clasic.
I, personally, am not a fan of MadSeason just because a lot of his content seems kinda lazy (i.e. reading patch notes) and him recalling things from vanilla that are really incorrect. Which isn't a huge deal, but if you're gonna spend some hours making a video and are going to be someone lots of players look to for wisdom, insight, and information, you could take the 30 seconds to google something instead of speculating wrongly.

The closest thing I had to a WoW superhero was a bear druid named Sakie. He was a Swedish dude who played rugby and could probably throw the car I was driving at the time. He played with a guild on the private server that had cleared all the way like halfway into Naxx and he had 95% of the BiS bear druid items for all of vanilla. He left that guild and joined our MC/ZG guild and raid lead for us and taught us all the fights. Everyone on the server knew who he was. Total legend. Part of the reason I rolled a bear druid some years later on a different server.

   Iolden
Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Warrior Arms
User avatar
EU Zandalar Tribe
Posts: 9
Likes: 10
Human
Warrior

Did you guys seriously didnt mention Drakedog yet? :D

   Pixstar Dolamite FTHforever
Burning Steppes
User avatar
Posts: 6
Likes: 6
Human
Mage

Out of curiosity, what are some things he recalls incorrectly? Not saying you're wrong. I know when u think back, I wonder how much I misremembered, but for the most part that seems to line up with MadSeason.

Shaman Enhancement
User avatar
Posts: 363
Likes: 130
Troll
Shaman

Quinnlan wrote:
7 months ago
Out of curiosity, what are some things he recalls incorrectly? Not saying you're wrong. I know when u think back, I wonder how much I misremembered, but for the most part that seems to line up with MadSeason.
It's hard to remember all the videos, but he recently had a video where he talked about different classes and what they did/what their niche was, and a lot of the things he said "as I recall..." would usually be wrong. And all of them were easy googles. He said that because of the debuff limit, he recalled that warlocks would spec destruction instead of affliction for raiding, and it was the optimal one. Which is holy shit wrong, even back then everyone knew the SM/Ruin spec, which has more points in affliction than Destro.

It's just one small example, and maybe I'm too anal about it, but a lot of these things he says are so easy to check into if he just has to blindly speculate. He's never played on private servers, either, and often speculates about the way things are on private servers incorrectly too. His content is good when it comes to reporting objective facts about the game (but, again, I think some of it is super lazy, especially when the old beta patch notes have been sat around on the wiki for years for people to read so it's not like it's new content), but a lot of his speculation is just weird swings and misses on easily research-able stuff.

But that's my weird beef I guess. He's preferable to some of the other classic content creators.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Burning Steppes
User avatar
Posts: 6
Likes: 6
Human
Mage

Huh. Thanks for the reply! I personally like his content, but I definitely agree that it relies significantly on his own memory and speculation.

   Gensei
Deleted User 628
Posts:
Likes: 0
Deleted User 628

1. Azgaz - "Nerf druids" PvP videos (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... TzT6n8SLIn)

The videos give a good impression of how druids evolved in PvP over time - starting as resto in "Nerf Druids 1", later (patch 1.8) going for a hybrid restobear spec and finally (TBC, "Nerf Druids 5 + 6") going full feral.

They also show how his skills (both in editing and PvP) improved over time.
On top of that: great sense of humour and taste in music (finally some PvP videos I don't feel the urge to mute).

I especially like part 4 of the series, because it demonstrates how at the end of Vanilla a druid player had to work his bear butt off against geared opponents.


2. Dysphoria - "Hunter versus world" PvE videos (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... IDJRGVP2Wd)

Lots of endgame dungeon soloing, spiced up with funny little story tidbits and great music.

   Cletus Dolamite
Tirisfal Glades
User avatar
Posts: 196
Likes: 234
Undead
Mage

Synergy wrote:
6 months ago
1. Azgaz - "Nerf druids" PvP videos

There may have been better PvPers back in the day, but I enjoy his videos for more than just his skills (which he undoubtedly had):
His great sense of humour and taste in music (finally some PvP videos I don't feel the urge to mute).
Dude, that music. I still play Nerf Druids 4 & 5 (mostly 5) as background music frequently. Azgaz is my all-time favorite druid and the reason why I started one

Our time will come.
Tirisfal Glades
User avatar
Posts: 175
Likes: 131
Undead
Priest

Nerf Druids was always a good time. Lol

I had a shadow priest I always kept an eye out for but I cant remember his name right now. He always had them up on WCM and then there was an Undead warrior I watched a lot.

On top of whoever had entertaining content, whether it was my class or not.

<Extreme>
Council Chairman
US-Horde
Blaumeux
Hillsbrad Foothills
User avatar
US Sulfuras
Posts: 312
Likes: 211
Alliance
Paladin

Vurtne for sure. I've watched some of Faxmonkey's videos as well.

However, there was also a male Undead Mage w/ Elemental spec whose name I forgot who I thought was awesome. I specifically remember that he used to ride one of the Swift Wolf mounts (Swift Gray Wolf I think) and one of his PvP videos featured the acoustic version of Muse's Plug in Baby. I've tried finding that PvP video on YouTube but to no avail.

Image
Druid Feral
User avatar
OC Yojamba
Posts: 901
Likes: 713
Tauren
Druid

rijndael wrote:
6 months ago
Vurtne for sure. I've watched some of Faxmonkey's videos as well.

However, there was also a male Undead Mage w/ Elemental spec whose name I forgot who I thought was awesome. I specifically remember that he used to ride one of the Swift Wolf mounts (Swift Gray Wolf I think) and one of his PvP videos featured the acoustic version of Muse's Plug in Baby. I've tried finding that PvP video on YouTube but to no avail.
Have you checked this youtube channel, they have thousands of vanilla WoW videos uploaded.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGt6I ... IsA/videos

   rijndael Dolamite
ImageImage Lvl 48
ImageImage Lvl 35
Hillsbrad Foothills
User avatar
US Sulfuras
Posts: 312
Likes: 211
Alliance
Paladin

Thanks @Selexin, I'll check it out!

   Selexin
Image
Tirisfal Glades
User avatar
Posts: 175
Likes: 131
Undead
Priest

I used to follow a guy (he was Undead rocking out to Ænima on the Booty Bay boat during a cut) but I cannot remember his name to save my ass...

Any other Priestly PVP video fans from way back in the day?

I want to say this was during TBC.

<Extreme>
Council Chairman
US-Horde
Blaumeux
Durotar
User avatar
EU Mograine
Posts: 14
Likes: 17
Horde
Warrior

rexarlet wrote:
7 months ago
Did you guys seriously didnt mention Drakedog yet? :D
Yeeees!
Drakedog caused me to re-roll to Warlock at the start of Burning Crusade. Also introduced me to a few bands such a Sonic Syndicate.
The editing style and production at the time was mind blowing!

User avatar
Posts: 12
Likes: 8
Orc
Rogue

Looking for good videos to watch

Silverpine Forest
User avatar
Posts: 30
Likes: 29
Undead

rokman wrote:
6 months ago
Looking for good videos to watch

Master of Elements. Fastly paced, only showing fights against well stuffed (even insanely stuffed for some), good tunes.

https://youtu.be/8-w9Wl8v6ZA

War / Pal / Mage / Druid
Druid Feral
US Stalagg
Posts: 150
Likes: 73
Tauren
Druid

Rogue: Perklunt

Druid Feral
US Stalagg
Posts: 150
Likes: 73
Tauren
Druid

Warlock: Radagast

Warlock Affliction
User avatar
US Bigglesworth
Posts: 146
Likes: 101
Alliance
Hunter

If we look at WoW PvP movies in chronological order then these two were the first big PvP movies that kicked everything else off. The majoirty of WoW players who consumed pvp videos back in the day have likely never heard of these because they came out before warcraftmovies.com really took off. Although there is no doubt that they inspired many of the WoW players that eventually became well known like those mentioned above. Back when Vurtne was still active he mentioned part of his inspiration for getting into movie making was seeing Francis frost mage. And likewise, Francis Frost mage is also what got me into movie making.



Warlock Affliction
User avatar
US Bigglesworth
Posts: 146
Likes: 101
Alliance
Hunter

Just remembered that another player who was popular back in early classic was OtherGuy who made the Sorrow Hill series.

Similar topics
to 'Vanilla Allstars'
Posts ViewsLast post