Orgrimmar
User avatar
Posts: 28
Likes: 7
Troll Hunter 28 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Solveig wrote:
1 month ago
It varied by how many times you respec. IIRC 1g/5g/10g/15g/20g/etc till you hit 50g. Then it has a decay of 5g per week or month that it isn't used, forget which. Will only reduce down to a minimum of 15g however. Pick your talents wisely when levelling tldr.
Whoa this thread got pretty derailed from my original question but thank you for the answer!

Warlock Affliction
User avatar
Posts: 37
Likes: 27
37 posts
Alliance
Hunter
Alliance Hunter 37 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

I'm not confident Blizzard will alter the respec cost, because unlike changes that could be seen as 'necessary' due to hardware limitations or exploits, high respec was just an intended part of the classic experience.

Btw I'm not really for or against changing respec. I'm just saying it's not something I'd expect is a guaranteed change. If they did change it the less heavy handed approach would be to leave it alone at launch then see how many people are in favor of changing it later down the line.

Arathi Highlands
User avatar
Posts: 125
Likes: 52
124 posts
124 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
1 month ago
Gensei wrote:
1 month ago
This might be provocative, but what does that actually matter? Like I know that it means that inflation might move a bit quicker. But there's going to be a lot of things different. Hell, with the game knowledge of players now, people probably spend gold far more efficiently and that has a net effect of increasing inflation compared to vanilla in that people know what and what not to spend money on. That's a far bigger change in the economy than change in respec costs, and I don't think changing respec costs changes all that much.
I think this assumption shouldn't be made.

You say that people have more game knowledge now but we really don't know if that's the case. In fact, from what I've seen on my travels over the last year, a lot of the authentic data and knowledge about Classic has been lost and replaced with private server experience.

Private servers are emulations and also vary greatly from one place to the next. Hit points and spawn rates are different. Boss mechanics are simulated. 'Farming' exploits like DM Tribute solo are possible on one realm but not another.

If anything, sure, players will have better access to collective knowledge through improved web tools, searches and websites. But will they have a greater knowledge of how things actually play out - like real experience? - I don't think so.

It will take a while before that kicks in. People back then had first-rate experience of playing vanilla wow. We're just getting started tbh and that won't affect the economy for a while.

Reducing the costs of regular gold sinks is never a good idea in any virtual economy either.
I'm just still not convinced it matters because respeccing is not a mandatory gold sink like buying a mount (while it's not necessarily mandatory, it is in a practical sense in terms of how universally bought it is). But in the case of respecs, some people will do it a lot and others won't at all. So there's a caveat for how big or small an impact it would actually have.

I think what you said about how much knowledge players have on how they spend their money is super wrong. Even players who never played vanilla and started in Pandaria would still have more applicable game knowledge than for someone just picking up vanilla back 05. Regardless, my point is in bringing up the player knowledge is that Classic will still not have the same economy of vanilla and saying reduced respec costs would ruin the economy is silly because its trying to preserve an economy that will not be recreate-able anyway. This game will not be the same.

Toshiok - Troll Mage, Warsong Private Server Socks - Night Elf Druid, Elysium
Toshiok - Troll Mage, Kil'Jaeden US retail Dimaga - Human Warlock Lightbringer US retail, guild: Animus Invictus
Arathi Basin
User avatar
Discord:

teebling#5444


Bnet:

Teeb#2674


Posts: 699
Likes: 927
Orc Hunter 525 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Gensei wrote:Even players who never played vanilla and started in Pandaria would still have more applicable game knowledge than for someone just picking up vanilla back 05.
I can't really fault you on this, if it is launch you are referring to as you mentioned the year 2005.
Gensei wrote:...saying saying reduced respec costs would ruin the economy is silly
That's actually not what I said, I said:
Teebling wrote:Reducing the costs of regular gold sinks is never a good idea in any virtual economy either.
I stand by this point.
Gensei wrote:But in the case of respecs, some people will do it a lot and others won't at all. So there's a caveat for how big or small an impact it would actually have.
True as well. I suppose at the end of the day one can't really comment with any certainty on your advocation for lowering respec costs because there are two directions your caveat can go: 1. respeccing becomes cheaper and therefore more people are at liberty to use it and in turn sinking more gold from the economy, or 2. the number of people respeccing doesn't change but gold accumulates faster because not enough is being lost through this sink.

Now, no-one can prove which one will be the case without data to support... so I guess that's that discussion over. However small changes such as this are the antithesis of the authentic approach that Blizzard have repeatedly held to in all of their communications so far. I think the chances of them changing said cost is slight.

Arathi Highlands
User avatar
Posts: 125
Likes: 52
124 posts
124 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

I think the chances of them changing said cost is slight.
I do agree on this. I just posited it as among the things most likely to be changed, but still not as confident it will happen compared to something like guild banks that I can't see them not adding. Sorry if it seemed like I was taking liberties with what you said, was trying to address multiple points from multiple people and didn't have the patience for quoting.

   teebling
Toshiok - Troll Mage, Warsong Private Server Socks - Night Elf Druid, Elysium
Toshiok - Troll Mage, Kil'Jaeden US retail Dimaga - Human Warlock Lightbringer US retail, guild: Animus Invictus
Druid Feral
User avatar
Guild:

Apocalypse WoW


Bnet:

Selexin#1725


Posts: 195
Likes: 136
188 posts
Tauren
Druid
Tauren Druid 188 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Gensei wrote:
1 month ago
I just posited it as among the things most likely to be changed, but still not as confident it will happen compared to something like guild banks that I can't see them not adding.
I don't think they will add guild banks, but I am probably wrong. I know in Vanilla guild banks relied heavily on account sharing, which is a no-no, so I can see why they would investigate it... still, not sure they will do it.

ImageImage
Arathi Highlands
User avatar
Posts: 125
Likes: 52
124 posts
124 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Selexin wrote:
1 month ago
Gensei wrote:
1 month ago
I just posited it as among the things most likely to be changed, but still not as confident it will happen compared to something like guild banks that I can't see them not adding.
I don't think they will add guild banks, but I am probably wrong. I know in Vanilla guild banks relied heavily on account sharing, which is a no-no, so I can see why they would investigate it... still, not sure they will do it.
I could foresee them adding it in maybe a month or two after release. People will be satisfied with the vanilla-ness of the game I imagine and enough people will be getting into guilds and starting PvE content where there will be higher demand for it, and the playerbase would be primed for it. Complainers can always be told not to use it I guess. But in the end, I'm 99% sure Blizzard just adds it, the purists complain for a day or two, and it just becomes normalcy and everyone moves on.

Toshiok - Troll Mage, Warsong Private Server Socks - Night Elf Druid, Elysium
Toshiok - Troll Mage, Kil'Jaeden US retail Dimaga - Human Warlock Lightbringer US retail, guild: Animus Invictus
Druid Feral
User avatar
Guild:

Apocalypse WoW


Bnet:

Selexin#1725


Posts: 195
Likes: 136
188 posts
Tauren
Druid
Tauren Druid 188 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Gensei wrote:
1 month ago
I could foresee them adding it in maybe a month or two after release. People will be satisfied with the vanilla-ness of the game I imagine and enough people will be getting into guilds and starting PvE content where there will be higher demand for it, and the playerbase would be primed for it. Complainers can always be told not to use it I guess. But in the end, I'm 99% sure Blizzard just adds it, the purists complain for a day or two, and it just becomes normalcy and everyone moves on.
Yeh, fair call. I think you're right in that they wont have it on launch, and then add it once it becomes more problematic and complained about by larger guilds with a lot of shared guild materials.

   Gensei
ImageImage