Paladin Retribution
User avatar
Bnet:

PepegaClap#2553


Posts: 11
Likes: 6
Alliance Paladin 11 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Hey guys, i'm really interested in classic wow coming out and i'm going to probably run a holy or ret pally if i change my mind it would probably be a priest. But i was just wondering if it is worth getting practice on a classic private server since i have no experience with it. I also never really healed in retail except some low level dungeons. I know classic healing is gonna be a lot more difficult due to mana consumption and the different healing ability ranks. But idk if I wanna get the feel of classic wow now or save it for when it actually releases. I guess i should say i'm interested in maybe doing raids at end game too, i cant say how hard core i will be at the game.

Elwynn Forest
User avatar
Posts: 36
Likes: 27
Horde Rogue 36 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

You should wait imo, let the experience flow with you. You will learn the rotation until 60 I guarantee you that. Also untill 30 you should be able to tell if you rolled the right class.

ImageImage
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Paladin Retribution
User avatar
Bnet:

PepegaClap#2553


Posts: 11
Likes: 6
Alliance Paladin 11 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

edoslawsky wrote:
2 months ago
You should wait imo, let the experience flow with you. You will learn the rotation until 60 I guarantee you that. Also untill 30 you should be able to tell if you rolled the right class.
I'd personally prefer that too i guess. And yeah i like the culture of a Paladin so that definitely interests me the most, with priest being in second. Praise the light :)

Shaman Enhancement
User avatar
Discord:

teebling#5444


Bnet:

Teeb#2674


Posts: 884
Likes: 1359
Orc Hunter 525 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Hey Bless,

A lot of the speedrunning guys have reported that it helped them get a feel for a new class they haven’t played before since they only level to 10 or 20 anyway. So if you’re completely new to a class it can be good for a taste of things - especially if you plan on ‘getting ahead of the wave’ on a PvP server for instance.

I run a repack server myself and have dipped my toes in Light’s Hope a bit but only really for website stuff. I found myself really enjoying levelling my hunter so I stopped myself because I was afraid I might miss out on that fresh enjoyment of retail.

If its rotations and end game optimisation you want a glance at, there are servers out there that offer an instant level 60 character which can help with raiding education specifically.

Paladin Retribution
User avatar
Bnet:

PepegaClap#2553


Posts: 11
Likes: 6
Alliance Paladin 11 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
2 months ago
Hey Bless,

A lot of the speedrunning guys have reported that it helped them get a feel for a new class they haven’t played before since they only level to 10 or 20 anyway. So if you’re completely new to a class it can be good for a taste of things - especially if you plan on ‘getting ahead of the wave’ on a PvP server for instance.

I run a repack server myself and have dipped my toes in Light’s Hope a bit but only really for website stuff. I found myself really enjoying levelling my hunter so I stopped myself because I was afraid I might miss out on that fresh enjoyment of retail.

If its rotations and end game optimisation you want a glance at, there are servers out there that offer an instant level 60 character which can help with raiding education specifically.
Hey,
I might possibly give it a look cant say i'll spend much time on it however. Idk if it would be a good idea for me to try a lvl 60 class out since i feel i'd be overwhelmed at first or whether i'd be alright and confident with my class when classic does come out.

Most importantly i want to enjoy classic and have fun, not feel pressured or worried about stuff, but i can be pretty nervous about being new to something so idk whats really best haha

Druid Feral
User avatar
Guild:

LFG


Bnet:

Selexin#1725


Posts: 362
Likes: 217
360 posts
Tauren
Druid
Tauren Druid 360 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Personally I hate instant 60/70/80 whatever servers. Getting thrown into gear with a bunch of spells and rotations you aren't used to just feels sucky. I would prefer to just play on the opposite faction to what I will play on Classic WoW, get to lvl 20/30 and just get used to spell rotations and playstyles.

ImageImage
Paladin Retribution
User avatar
Bnet:

PepegaClap#2553


Posts: 11
Likes: 6
Alliance Paladin 11 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Selexin wrote:
2 months ago
Personally I hate instant 60/70/80 whatever servers. Getting thrown into gear with a bunch of spells and rotations you aren't used to just feels sucky. I would prefer to just play on the opposite faction to what I will play on Classic WoW, get to lvl 20/30 and just get used to spell rotations and playstyles.
Fair enough, I think i'd struggle to do that wanting to play a paladin :p

Druid Feral
User avatar
Guild:

LFG


Bnet:

Selexin#1725


Posts: 362
Likes: 217
360 posts
Tauren
Druid
Tauren Druid 360 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Bless The Holy Light wrote:
2 months ago
Selexin wrote:
2 months ago
Personally I hate instant 60/70/80 whatever servers. Getting thrown into gear with a bunch of spells and rotations you aren't used to just feels sucky. I would prefer to just play on the opposite faction to what I will play on Classic WoW, get to lvl 20/30 and just get used to spell rotations and playstyles.
Fair enough, I think i'd struggle to do that wanting to play a paladin :p
Play a Shaman :lol: Hahah

ImageImage
Ashenvale
User avatar
Posts: 82
Likes: 38
Alliance Shaman 82 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Hey, I leveled both a Priest and a Paladin to their 40's recently.

I'm not a fan of downranking or spells that cost huge amounts of mana, and for that reason Pally was much better for me. Before these problems in my playstyle became apparent however, I really loved my priest.

However, the range of healing spells you have to choose from in much narrower, at least from a healing perspective. In PvP I felt like it was a lot more fun to play Paladin because many of the Blessings they have are very PvP oriented, while Priest felt much more fun much more quickly to heal in PvE. Paladin takes quite a while to hit their stride, with several key spells not available until they're past level 40.

If you're playing on a PvP server I'd go Paladin, otherwise Priest is very strong and quite fun to play right from the beginning. Paladin is going to be a very big investment with not much payoff until you're well into your leveling journey.

If you decide you don't like Priest, you'll likely be much earlier in your leveling journey and you can just restart Paladin.

Posts:
Likes: 0
Deleted User 281
Deleted User 281
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
2 months ago
If its rotations and end game optimisation you want a glance at, there are servers out there that offer an instant level 60 character which can help with raiding education specifically.
Retro WoW for instance.

Paladin Retribution
User avatar
Bnet:

PepegaClap#2553


Posts: 11
Likes: 6
Alliance Paladin 11 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Linguine wrote:
2 months ago
Hey, I leveled both a Priest and a Paladin to their 40's recently.

I'm not a fan of downranking or spells that cost huge amounts of mana, and for that reason Pally was much better for me. Before these problems in my playstyle became apparent however, I really loved my priest.

However, the range of healing spells you have to choose from in much narrower, at least from a healing perspective. In PvP I felt like it was a lot more fun to play Paladin because many of the Blessings they have are very PvP oriented, while Priest felt much more fun much more quickly to heal in PvE. Paladin takes quite a while to hit their stride, with several key spells not available until they're past level 40.

If you're playing on a PvP server I'd go Paladin, otherwise Priest is very strong and quite fun to play right from the beginning. Paladin is going to be a very big investment with not much payoff until you're well into your leveling journey.

If you decide you don't like Priest, you'll likely be much earlier in your leveling journey and you can just restart Paladin.
Alright thank you. I think I will play a paladin and i will be on a pvp server :)

Ashenvale
User avatar
Posts: 82
Likes: 38
Alliance Shaman 82 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Bless The Holy Light wrote:
2 months ago
Linguine wrote:
2 months ago
Hey, I leveled both a Priest and a Paladin to their 40's recently.

I'm not a fan of downranking or spells that cost huge amounts of mana, and for that reason Pally was much better for me. Before these problems in my playstyle became apparent however, I really loved my priest.

However, the range of healing spells you have to choose from in much narrower, at least from a healing perspective. In PvP I felt like it was a lot more fun to play Paladin because many of the Blessings they have are very PvP oriented, while Priest felt much more fun much more quickly to heal in PvE. Paladin takes quite a while to hit their stride, with several key spells not available until they're past level 40.

If you're playing on a PvP server I'd go Paladin, otherwise Priest is very strong and quite fun to play right from the beginning. Paladin is going to be a very big investment with not much payoff until you're well into your leveling journey.

If you decide you don't like Priest, you'll likely be much earlier in your leveling journey and you can just restart Paladin.
Alright thank you. I think I will play a paladin and i will be on a pvp server :)
Good choice! Every five minutes getting 12 seconds of free healing is very powerful, and being (hopefully) in plate makes those rogues think twice. (UD rogues never think twice about priests....psychic scream is useless. :cry: )

Ashenvale
User avatar
Posts: 36
Likes: 12
Alliance 36 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

I would suggest some experimentation but no more than that. A lot of friends have rinsed pservers so badly that they are now moving on to BC and WOTLK servers...

Image
Paladin Retribution
User avatar
Bnet:

PepegaClap#2553


Posts: 11
Likes: 6
Alliance Paladin 11 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Doomsnout wrote:
2 months ago
I would suggest some experimentation but no more than that. A lot of friends have rinsed pservers so badly that they are now moving on to BC and WOTLK servers...
Yeah i actually did try out a private server real quick but nothing too serious, I only did some quests and stuff, but i already got the feel of how it can be a struggle with mana. I dont really want to spend much time on a private server or a char, and i'd much rather have the nice fresh feeling of when it does release.

   Faendor Lne
Teldrassil
User avatar
Discord:

Faendor#4087


Bnet:

Faendor#1224


Posts: 280
Likes: 110
280 posts
Night Elf
Druid
Night Elf Druid 280 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Bless The Holy Light wrote:
2 months ago
Yeah i actually did try out a private server real quick but nothing too serious, I only did some quests and stuff, but i already got the feel of how it can be a struggle with mana. I dont really want to spend much time on a private server or a char, and i'd much rather have the nice fresh feeling of when it does release.
Good choice. Besides, paladin is not hard to learn so you don't have to worry about that. It is good starting class imo. You can ask for advice when the time comes anyways.

They claimed I didn't but I did...
Tirisfal Glades
User avatar
Guild:

Epoch of Thought


Discord:

https://discord.gg/U


Bnet:

LNE#1326


Posts: 51
Likes: 38
51 posts
Horde
Warrior
Horde Warrior 51 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

I think if you are wanting to be a hardcore raider and raid long term the pserver experience may be worth it to ensure you pick a class you can enjoy over such a long term commitment, but you definitely don't need to do that to just play the game or to be prepared to do well as a healer.

Healing is not difficult to learn in vanilla and you will do fine picking it up as you go.

Guildlead: Epoch of Thought | Vanilla Thunderfury Warrior | Maintank/Father/Husband/Disabled Vet
Twitter:The_Lne Twitch: The_Lne Bnet: Lne#1326
Guild site: https://Epochofthought.shivtr.com | Guild Discord:https://discord.gg/UqAVjJT
Arathi Highlands
User avatar
Posts: 127
Likes: 54
126 posts
126 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

I think you're better off waiting. Healing isn't that big a deal and you can learn on the fly in the first dungeon you run. I'd worry about getting too familiar with the first 20 levels and making it super boring when you play it through for real.

Toshiok - Troll Mage, Warsong Private Server Socks - Night Elf Druid, Elysium
Toshiok - Troll Mage, Kil'Jaeden US retail Dimaga - Human Warlock Lightbringer US retail, guild: Animus Invictus
Warrior Protection
User avatar
Posts: 110
Likes: 84
Orc Warrior 110 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

I'll also say you're better off waiting. You'll learn a lot from running level appropriate dungeons. If you're really keen on playing on a private server though just to check stuff out, go for it! If anything, get used to the lay of the land, the reduced quantity of FP's, etc. If you didn't play vanilla, Classic can be a bit of a culture shock.

Similar topics
to 'Should i get practice on a private server (for healing)?'
Posts ViewsLast post