6 skins in total can now be used on the site: The Barrens, Elwynn Forest, Tirisfal Glades, Teldrassil, Mulgore and Dun Morogh. Change your skin by selecting from the tab in the top right of the screen. The old 'alliance' theme has been given some graphical updates as well in line with the new styles to bring it up to the same standard.
The default search bar on the index page searches all sections of the site for exact queried keywords in topic titles. This is likely to be the most used part of the search engine but it's also the simplest and may be improved upon in the future.
The advanced search function is more powerful and allows for a lot of fine tuning and filtering to help you narrow down what it is that you're looking for. By default it displays search results of all posts (for inline keywords) but can be modified to display as a topic list too.
You can use the sorting dropdown to sort the forum's topic list by 'Unread posts' (shows topics with unread posts only), 'Your posts' (shows only topics in which you have posted in the past) and 'Unanswered topics' (shows topics that have never been replied to). This gives people more control over how they filter and browse the topic list.
You can now also browse every post you have ever made (not just the last ten) by clicking 'View all posts' link in your profile. This will 'search' you as an author, showing all your posts. It can be filtered etc like any other search. Can also be used to see other members' post history.
Added a profile customisation feature that can accommodate details for up to three different characters (one main and two alts). This is done from the Appearance section of your control panel. You don't have to fill in every detail or slot if you don't want to - it will display whatever you have chosen to display.
In the future will be using Blizzard API to pull simple data from their servers like guild, level, name etc. just by entering an armory URL. Hopefully what I have done so far will suffice until then Also added a field for your Discord server.
As a way of recognising and celebrating those users who have made significant contributions to the website's health, content and popularity, I have introduced a commendations system.
The commendations follow rough categories of merit (full guide authorship, recruiting other people to the site, publicising the site elsewhere, service to the community) etc. but each one has a unique flavour text depending on the user.
I will be rewarding these to users at my discretion rather than automatically. Earning a commendation will be hard - I want them to reflect real passion and effort. You can see a user's commendations on their profile page.
- You can now instantly mark all notifications as read in the header dropdown:
- When choosing topic icons you can now see what the icons actually are instead of just a text description:
- Added a countdown to the beginning of summer (solstice is June 21st this year) on desktop index page. This will change to release date when it is announced:
- Your level badge is now displayed in the header bar next to PM/Notifications on desktop site:
- Enabled font-smoothing via a new CSS property for Chrome and Firefox users (OS X only). Here is a before/after:
- Added a slight shadow-hover effect on the main navbar links
- If a topic is unread, clicking the 'quill' on the topic list will now take you to the last unread post, instead of the last post. If it is a read topic, it will go to the last post in the topic as before. This means you won't have to scroll up from the last post to see the newest stuff :) Thanks @SweaterMonster for the suggestion.
- General notifications about site updates etc. now have a BC themed picture
- New icon for ideas and suggestions thread in the Info forum]
- 'Adventurers online' is now also visible to guest users
- Changed 'Newest User' text to 'Welcome X!' in footer
- Changed icon in 'want to write a guide' string from parchment to a quill
- Added Oceanic region servers to the realm list selection for you Aussies out there
- The usual pagespeed and SEO optimisations
- Made settings cog on mobile site much larger
- Fixed poll titles on mobile overflowing on top of topic options dropdown
- Fixed 3px vertical mispositioning of subheader on index page in comparison with view topic pages
- Fixed usernames overflowing left profile section on view topic page
- Fixed user profile entries sometimes hiding behind user's profile background
- Fixed avatar scrolling issue again on desktop version
- Fixed overflowing viewing statistics on footer of view topic pages
- Fixed mispositioning by 1px of notification/mail badges in navbar
Thanks everyone who watched me streaming, it was fun talking to you guys and getting suggestions and instant feedback was very helpful in the process! I had to cut off a lot of stuff I wanted in this patch at the last moment due to real life stuff (can't do much dev work over the next four days). So I have bumped some things back to patch 1.8.
There will probably be a lot of new bugs I haven't found yet (due to new features) so please do report in if you come across any. Thanks to everyone who has been reporting so far - I have been able to address most of the current issues in this patch. Hope you enjoy the new stuff.
- Level badge in the navigation bar has been shifted to the right of mail/notification badges, so that it isn't confused with new mails/notifications. Thanks @Syturio and @solidlobster for the suggestion.
- When you hover over someone's level, it now tells you how many posts the user has (before it was just this number with no label actually saying 'posts').
- Changed Discord profile field to allow personal Discord tags to be presented too (like User#4445)instead of just server invitation URLs
- Configured an auto-reminder email for people who have not visited the site for over two months. This will hopefully bring back some old faces :)
- Coded in an alternative blue restyling of posts in viewtopic in case any official blizz reps post here in the future. Hidden atm obviously
- Changed default (upon registration) settings to notify (but not email) the user when they have requested to be notified of topic replies
- Fixed missing Skinning profession from character profile settings
- Fixed issue where badge dropdowns would be misaligned if the user had more than 9 notifications or more than 9 private messages (double digits)
- Fixed various slight alignment issues with navbar badges on mobile & desktop
- Fixed really short usernames not line-breaking in keyword search results
- Fixed border-collapse styling issue on viewonline page, log pages etc.
- Fixed issue where really long topic titles would overflow on top of the 'views' and 'posts' columns on desktop
- Fixed issue where topic icon dropdown was not displaying correctly in advanced search, guest posting, or conditional moderator styling due to bad CSS
- Fixed elements of user profile being overlapped by user's profile background
- Fixed missing sorter drop down when viewing unread posts filter. Found a core phpBB bug however which means no filtering within this particular filter unfortunately.
- Fixed accidental green specks and other issues with Barrens theme navbar graphic
- Fixed vertically misaligned version number in footer when viewing a topic in Chrome and Firefox
- Fixed horizontally and vertically misaligned 'Advanced' button on index search in Chrome and Firefox
- Fixed absence of left-side padding on 'search within results' search box on Chrome and Firefox
- Fixed issue where search bar on index would overlap filter dropdown if selected
- Fixed MCP issue where footer rode up due to unclosed divider on reports page
- Fixed misaligned Reset button in advanced search
- Removed forced CSS from search bars on iOS Safari/Chrome
- Removed forced CSS on forum skin selector on iOS Safari/Chrome
- Fixed alignment issues on various elements on iOS Safari/Chrome
First! Great update.
OMG I love it
Hey Anders, thanks was fun having you!
What OS/Browser are you using so that I can debug this. Thanks.
I'm using Win10 and Chrome 72.0.3626.121
That, we must concede, is quite the hefty endeavor you keep nurturing and refining for us to revel in.
Once again a well-earned salvo of lok'tarz coming yer way
As gifted and industrious a Garona's swain can prove to be
You dirty toiler, you !
May B.C. and Classic endure through cute eons and all.
PS : you even took care of my pervasive name kek
-Spying from the grave at the behest of the Kirin Tor. Roughly speaking.-
@Teebling - Skinning is missing from the character tool. Cheers!
Windows 10 (64 Bit)
- Go/Advance buttons are misaligned.
- Text is misaligned.
- If you click "Unread Posts" the cog button dissapears.
- Space missing between the text and the button.
- Not really a bug, but makes more sense having the levels on the right, than on the left.
- There is a little inconsistency on how buttons with text work. For example, when you click on "Advance" button the text turns blue, but when you click "Preview" button the text doesn't change color.
- In certain situations, when previewing your post, the text (and images) get outside the box.
- Minor fix, make the Barrens Chat avatar not have "B" and "S" letters half hidden.
- I know this has something to do with me being a moderator, but i always get this wierd thing when i make/edit posts.
Impressed, actually a plethora of changes and upgrades, nice! Was only expecting a few bug fixes and a few new looks :O
Amazing work as always @teebling !
Thank you so much for the hard work and providing this beautiful place for us nerds to hang out and wait for release :D
I'm even more excited for how amazing it will be here once classic is released!
I think I agree here - I often log on Barrens and for a minute think I have like 15 unread notifications just because of the placement.
It amazes me how this platform becomes ever more appealing as the time goes on. I do really really hope though that the community would grow along with the the site, at the same time retaining the quality of discussions in the manner of mutual respect, laid back approach and general kindness.
Wish all of you guys, myself included, to be a worthy members of this wonderful forum.