View results
Poll  •  What Class will you be playing?
Quaria
donator Posts:
Likes: 0

What do you folks think: will it be the most fun, in your opinion, to roll the same faction as before due to nostalgia being a big part of (why you want to play) WoW Classic, or the opposite for the freshness of it?

Tanaris
User avatar
donator Posts: 58
Likes: 42
Tauren
Shaman

Quaria wrote:
9 months ago
What do you folks think: will it be the most fun, in your opinion, to roll the same faction as before due to nostalgia being a big part of (why you want to play) WoW Classic, or the opposite for the freshness of it?
I have briefly rolled a Tauren Shaman on a private realm, like I did originally when I started playing. I have to say that the quests felt fresh as I haven't done them in 12 or so years. But having played through the Barrens multiple times, I just wanted to finish that zone. Once I was done though, I had a huge motivation spike going into WC and Ashenvale.

I also rolled a Human Warrior and have to say that the experience in Westfall was very new to me as I mained horde. The quests are tough though if you are solo-leveling.

Nostalgia wants me to play Horde, while I really think that playing the other faction would be so much more of a fresh start and the beginning of a "real" new classic adventure. I will probably decide once when the servers go live.

Teldrassil
User avatar
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 433
Likes: 208
Alliance
Priest

I think that nostalgia will be there no matter what faction you choose. It is more about what faction you will want to identify as.

Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Warrior Protection
User avatar
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1321
Likes: 2537
Orc
Warrior

Quaria wrote:
9 months ago
What do you folks think: will it be the most fun, in your opinion, to roll the same faction as before due to nostalgia being a big part of (why you want to play) WoW Classic, or the opposite for the freshness of it?
Good question Quaria. In my opinion nostalgia for Classic, from what I have deduced over the last year or so of discussing the game, is a mixture of two different pleasant recollections:

  • Nostalgia for that time in one’s life when they were playing WoW for the first time
  • Nostalgia for the game as it was in that state in time - the mechanics and content

Some say that if you played the game when you were young you lean towards the former, and that if you were older you lean towards the latter. I don’t agree with this argument - there are many members here for example who started at a much later age but still recall the thrill of playing and the happiness it brought to their life, even with kids and a family to support.

I’m not even saying that people fall into one category or the other - to do that would be a gross presumption about people’s sensibilities. It’s not a black and white issue and people will possess a measure of both flavours of nostalgia regardless.

What I will argue for quite strongly however is that if you never played the other faction, you should. This will be like playing the game for the first time again (unfamiliar NPCs, quests, travel routes etc.) - satisfying the first element of that nostalgic feeling. By default the second element will also be fulfilled because regardless of faction the mechanics and content will remain hyper-blizzlike.

I think its a fabulous idea to reroll your first character again, and tbh since its been such a long time everyone will be in for surprises and new experiences. So if you fancy that and its the first thing you think about then you should 100% do it because its what you know you will enjoy... all I’m trying to point out with this post is that coming to the other side will help you get lost in that world like you were the first time. There’s something magic about that too so don’t dismiss the idea!

   CBX Faendor
Warlock Destruction
User avatar
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 299
Likes: 342
Undead
Warlock

I'm saving playing a different faction for another time. There's still plenty of things I haven't done as Horde, I'm saving Alliance for when I get bored of this game.

   Kurzogg
Mulgore
User avatar
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 196
Likes: 162
Tauren
Shaman

Quaria wrote:
9 months ago
What do you folks think: will it be the most fun, in your opinion, to roll the same faction as before due to nostalgia being a big part of (why you want to play) WoW Classic or the opposite for the freshness of it?
Well, it really depends on a couple of things:
  • Firstly, I'm not sure if Blizzard told anything about faction restriction (in Vanilla you could have only Alliance OR Horde characters in one server), and it's is a very important point in your consideration;
  • Think about the class: if you want to play paladin or shaman, you already have your answer :-)
  • Think a bit over nostalgia: if playing one faction is done ONLY for nostalgia, it will wear out. Try to be as objective as possible;
  • Think about the starting zones: usually, the first 10 levels of a character is the part where people abandon their character: which zone do you like most? Fresh Mulgore plains? Cold Dun Morogh hills? Think also about the follow-up zones: you hate Barrens with all your heart? You would prefer to cut out your feet than diving again in the Loch?
In the end, I will personally choose Horde because of many of the reasons above, and it was the one I used to main back in the day. I had my dose of Alliance playing in private servers (I love dwarves), but it's not an easy decision. If you think repetition will bore you, probably some freshness will be better :-) In that case, see you on the battlefield!

   teebling
Ish-ne-alo por-ah (May the days ahead be guided by the elders of long ago)
ImageImage

Hydraxian Waterlords - RP - EU
  • Fendor - Tauren Shaman
  • Ildebrando - Dwarf Hunter
  • Osandiron - Dwarf Priest
Teldrassil
User avatar
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 433
Likes: 208
Alliance
Priest

fendor wrote:
9 months ago
Think a bit over nostalgia: if playing one faction is done ONLY for nostalgia, it will wear out. Try to be as objective as possible;
I agree. The determining point for you should be whether the faction/class will be enjoyable for you. Simply choose what you will have the most fun with. I have seen that many times when people rolled certain character just because their friends forced them to, or they wanted to fill in the missing role in the team, they lost their interest in the character as they didn't identify with the playstyle/aesthetics. From my experience, I played both factions extensively and didn't lack fun on either of them, I value the community I play with. As Teeb said, playing the faction you never fully tried could be awsome cuz of the freshness.

   fendor teebling
Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
User avatar
donator Posts: 59
Likes: 25
Alliance

Thanks for all the input. You have more or less convinced me to play Horde (which is the more fresh faction for me). Undead because then I can RP that my character is reborn, and because the starting area feels intriguing.

   fendor teebling
Mulgore
User avatar
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 196
Likes: 162
Tauren
Shaman

Quaria wrote:
9 months ago
Thanks for all the input. You have more or less convinced me to play Horde (which is the more fresh faction for me). Undead because then I can RP that my character is reborn, and because the starting area feels intriguing.
Undead zones are awesome... Silverpine Forest is a piece of art in my opinion: you will have a great time :-)

Ish-ne-alo por-ah (May the days ahead be guided by the elders of long ago)
ImageImage

Hydraxian Waterlords - RP - EU
  • Fendor - Tauren Shaman
  • Ildebrando - Dwarf Hunter
  • Osandiron - Dwarf Priest
Tanaris
User avatar
donator Posts: 58
Likes: 42
Tauren
Shaman

Faendor wrote:
9 months ago
I think that nostalgia will be there no matter what faction you choose. It is more about what faction you will want to identify as.
I agree with the first part. I don't think you have to decide on what you want to identify as, though. I love Horde because I mained it back in the day and to this day would consider myself Horde. But I also love the idea of being an Alliance Knight. After all, you can't play both faction on one realm anyway so having two "identities" is probably something I am going to have.

   Faendor
Druid Feral
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 155
Likes: 74
Tauren
Druid

Leaning towards male tauren druid (main goal: tanking).

Do realise that the viability lies in the druids versatility. E.g. be the jack of all tracés.

Mage Frost
User avatar
donator Posts: 58
Likes: 18
Horde
Priest

I'll be playing Kurzogg, an orc Warlock!

“Everything that is... is alive.”
Arathi Basin
User avatar
EU Patchwerk
donator Posts: 23
Likes: 7
Horde
Warlock

Probably an undead warlock with an orc warrior/tauren shaman alt. My very first char was a human lock, but then I moved servers and joined the horde as some friends were playing horde side. bc came around so made a belf huntard...

   Kurzogg
Priest Shadow
User avatar
donator Posts: 8
Likes: 3
Alliance
Priest

When Classic finally rolls around, I'll make either a hunter or a priest (both dwarves of course). Dun Morogh just got that magical feeling to it. The wintery landscape and ambient music is just amazing. Maybe it's nostalgia at play, but I have fond memories of playing through it.
...I distinctly remember having my arse handed to me by Wendigos :lol:

Druid Feral
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 155
Likes: 74
Tauren
Druid

Forsakenone wrote:
9 months ago
Leaning towards male tauren druid (main goal: tanking).

Do realise that the viability lies in the druids versatility. E.g. be the jack of all tracés.
Dammit!! Doubt starts gnawing at me.... still flustered wether to pick ally/nelf or tauren/horde. 99.9% of my wow time I was Horde.

Looks-wise: nelf cat wins clearly hands down period. But Nelf bear sucks donkey-balls...I mean those ears on a bear? Really?!

Racials: regarding tanking Its 1%dodge vs more more base stamina.

Love to hear hour opinions!!!

Deadwind Pass
User avatar
donator Posts: 101
Likes: 90
Alliance
Warlock

A Human Warlock. I am hated by society sure, but I literally command demons and have a contender for coolest mount in the game available to me, and really what more could you want out of the game? Of and melting faces and fearing in PvP

Image

Vikernes - Human Warlock - Arugal
Arathi Basin
User avatar
donator Posts: 4
Likes: 5
Horde
Hunter

I started as a UD rogue and then went NE hunter. Most likely going hunter this time. For nostalgia reasons I'll probably roll horde. So orc or troll hunter, can't really decide. PvP focus.

Teldrassil
User avatar
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 433
Likes: 208
Alliance
Priest

CBX wrote:
9 months ago
Faendor wrote:
9 months ago
I think that nostalgia will be there no matter what faction you choose. It is more about what faction you will want to identify as.
I agree with the first part. I don't think you have to decide on what you want to identify as, though. I love Horde because I mained it back in the day and to this day would consider myself Horde. But I also love the idea of being an Alliance Knight. After all, you can't play both faction on one realm anyway so having two "identities" is probably something I am going to have.
Yea I agree that was't good statement. This was taken just from one perspective. There are many different factors based on which people decide what to roll. I personally don't mind playing any faction as my key decisions points are rather, where my friends/community are/is going, what class I wanna play and it's pve/pvp orientation and of course the big one, aesthetics :mrgreen: that is the models, animations and how armor fits on you. I have lot of friends who despise the Horde for their savage nature and me-smash and might-above-wisdom mentality. Although I do agree with them I still find them kinda cool.

   CBX
Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Arathi Basin
User avatar
EU Patchwerk
donator Posts: 23
Likes: 7
Horde
Warlock

Quaria wrote:
9 months ago
What do you folks think: will it be the most fun, in your opinion, to roll the same faction as before due to nostalgia being a big part of (why you want to play) WoW Classic, or the opposite for the freshness of it?

Imo, going back to my old faction, just a small bit for nostalgic reasons, but mostly because I just prefer the horde a lot more than alliance. Its been 12 years since I played, and i forgot most of it. So, its kinda like a new experience but with some moments of “huh?! I ve been here, this was awesome!”. Furthermore, my mind is different from back then so I think my playstyle is going to be a lot different, even with same faction.

Teldrassil
User avatar
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 433
Likes: 208
Alliance
Priest

Fatheal wrote:
9 months ago
When Classic finally rolls around, I'll make either a hunter or a priest (both dwarves of course). Dun Morogh just got that magical feeling to it. The wintery landscape and ambient music is just amazing. Maybe it's nostalgia at play, but I have fond memories of playing through it.
...I distinctly remember having my arse handed to me by Wendigos :lol:
Dorfs are da superior race!

I'm most likely gonna play Dorf Priest

Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Teldrassil
User avatar
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 433
Likes: 208
Alliance
Priest

Forsakenone wrote:
9 months ago
Forsakenone wrote:
9 months ago
Leaning towards male tauren druid (main goal: tanking).

Do realise that the viability lies in the druids versatility. E.g. be the jack of all tracés.
Dammit!! Doubt starts gnawing at me.... still flustered wether to pick ally/nelf or tauren/horde. 99.9% of my wow time I was Horde.

Looks-wise: nelf cat wins clearly hands down period. But Nelf bear sucks donkey-balls...I mean those ears on a bear? Really?!

Racials: regarding tanking Its 1%dodge vs more more base stamina.

Love to hear hour opinions!!!
Regarding racials:
I think that it doesnt matter whether NE or Tauren. Both will work just fine. Tauren has 5% extra HP but NE has approximately 1.5% higher dodge chance from racial and base stats and you will get +10% stats bonus from paladin's Blessing of Kings anyways so don't worry about the Taurens HP racial.

If minmaxing, I personally would choose NE. The dodge is very useful considering druids lack of dmg mitigation compared to Warriors so any avoidance stats are super useful. (I am not sure about the windfury but I think that druids in feral form don't gain the effect of it which might cause some threat problems in raids)
If you would decide to stick to dps as feral then I'd say NE again.



Regarding visuals:
Thats up to you to decide. The racial and stat differences are very small imo so I would choose based on the aesthetics. In the end, you should play as what you like to look at. :wink:

Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Warrior Protection
User avatar
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1321
Likes: 2537
Orc
Warrior

I’m not going to play druid but if I had to choose between staring at the derierre of a cow or a hot nelf I know what I would prefer :lol:

Like @Faendor has mentioned base stats and racials do tend to balance out in most cases - that’s one observation a lot of people made when I created the comparison tool. There are some more dramatic differences specific to some combinations but really with tauren/nelf you’re making a choice between further raw HP or higher dodge which are both means to the same end of mitigating damage.

Priest Shadow
User avatar
donator Posts: 8
Likes: 3
Alliance
Priest

Faendor wrote:
9 months ago
Fatheal wrote:
9 months ago
When Classic finally rolls around, I'll make either a hunter or a priest (both dwarves of course). Dun Morogh just got that magical feeling to it. The wintery landscape and ambient music is just amazing. Maybe it's nostalgia at play, but I have fond memories of playing through it.
...I distinctly remember having my arse handed to me by Wendigos :lol:
Dorfs are da superior race!

I'm most likely gonna play Dorf Priest
Yeaaaah brother, representing!

Mage Frost
User avatar
donator Posts: 58
Likes: 18
Horde
Priest

Forsakenone wrote:
9 months ago
Forsakenone wrote:
9 months ago
Leaning towards male tauren druid (main goal: tanking).

Do realise that the viability lies in the druids versatility. E.g. be the jack of all tracés.
Dammit!! Doubt starts gnawing at me.... still flustered wether to pick ally/nelf or tauren/horde. 99.9% of my wow time I was Horde.

Looks-wise: nelf cat wins clearly hands down period. But Nelf bear sucks donkey-balls...I mean those ears on a bear? Really?!

Racials: regarding tanking Its 1%dodge vs more more base stamina.

Love to hear hour opinions!!!
I'd suggest whatever race has better casting animations in your opinion.

“Everything that is... is alive.”
Teldrassil
User avatar
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 433
Likes: 208
Alliance
Priest

Now I wanna play shaman as well. Cannot decide :cry: :cry:

   CBX
Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Similar topics
to 'What are you going to play/main?'
Posts ViewsLast post