Darkshore
User avatar
donator Posts: 8
Likes: 13
Alliance
Hunter

Hello,

I'm a long-time lurker who decided to finally make an account because I couldn't find any threads for the prospective RP-PvP playerbase. Whether Blizzard releases no RP-PvP servers or several RP-PvP servers, I'd like to start meeting like-minded people here so that we can try and congregate onto one server.

For my part, I'm planning an Alliance-side guild for a North American RP-PvP server with some close friends. We have varying degrees of interest in RPing, but we all want a respectful and immersive atmosphere. If you're like-minded and seeking a friend group to enjoy classic with, just let me know and we can talk more. :)

Thunder Bluff
User avatar
donator Posts: 68
Likes: 64
Tauren
Druid

Not sure if I'll be heading Alliance or Horde yet, but I'm 100% going to be going to a NA RP-PVP server.

I also don't know another person irl or in game that'll be even joining Classic, so I'm open to making new WoW friends that I'll be playing with during Classic!

   Elistren
Nala - Feral Druid - Grobbulus
"May the eternal sun shine upon thee"
Druid Restoration
User avatar
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Likes: 763
Tauren
Druid

I've only ever played on PvP servers, but I am so concerned about the gankfest on Classic WoW launch that I have considered going either PvE or RP P vP (in the hopes that the RP PvP community are slightly less ganky).

What is your experience with relentless ganking on RP PvP servers? I would love to know before I make a decision on the server I choose at launch.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Darkshore
User avatar
donator Posts: 8
Likes: 13
Alliance
Hunter

SweaterMonster wrote:
9 months ago
Not sure if I'll be heading Alliance or Horde yet, but I'm 100% going to be going to a NA RP-PVP server.

I also don't know another person irl or in game that'll be even joining Classic, so I'm open to making new WoW friends that I'll be playing with during Classic!
Well come join up with us then, I always say that I feel bad for people who don't have a friend group to go into classic with because it's so fun to get hyped and plan together. :mrgreen:
Selexin wrote:
9 months ago
I've only ever played on PvP servers, but I am so concerned about the gankfest on Classic WoW launch that I have considered going either PvE or RP P vP (in the hopes that the RP PvP community are slightly less ganky).

What is your experience with relentless ganking on RP PvP servers? I would love to know before I make a decision on the server I choose at launch.
It's been a very long time since I've been on a classic RP-PvP server because private servers don't host them, so I really don't know how much the server tag changes griefing habits.

   Alnir Selexin SweaterMonster
Paladin Protection
User avatar
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 98
Likes: 77
Human
Priest

Now, this I'm excited about! welcome to our little community, Elistren. I currently play on Emerald Dream (US) which is an RP-PVP server and I absolutely love it. Best of both worlds. I'll definitely be playing on an RP-PvP realm if they're available (hoping they will be!). Since I'll also be playing Alliance on NA servers, this is right up my alley. Sign me up :mrgreen:

Priest Holy
User avatar
donator Posts: 106
Likes: 124
Alliance
Priest

I'm definitely planning to play on a PvP server (EU side though); however, whether that is PvP (higher population) or RP-PvP (in theory, more 'immersive') is up for debate still.

I'm not really an RPer; however, I can't help but imagine that the overall atmosphere on the latter will be more adult, so to speak. Maybe I'm being naive.

Human Priest
<Pertento> [EU-PvP]


Druid Restoration
User avatar
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Likes: 763
Tauren
Druid

William wrote:
9 months ago
I'm not really an RPer; however, I can't help but imagine that the overall atmosphere on the latter will be more adult, so to speak. Maybe I'm being naive.
This is basically my thoughts on the matter. Would love more feedback on people with recent and ancient experience on RP-PVP servers.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Thunder Bluff
User avatar
donator Posts: 68
Likes: 64
Tauren
Druid

William wrote:
9 months ago
I'm definitely planning to play on a PvP server (EU side though); however, whether that is PvP (higher population) or RP-PvP (in theory, more 'immersive') is up for debate still.

I'm not really an RPer; however, I can't help but imagine that the overall atmosphere on the latter will be more adult, so to speak. Maybe I'm being naive.
I played on Moonguard US for years in retail since Wrath and I can tell you the feeling of a living world is pretty true there. You can be in the middle of no-where questing and there's a group of people RPing. Somestimes they'll include you if they notice you by simply mentioning you or inviting you.

Those opportunities were always the most fun for me, because it really made it feel like an RPG.

Although, going into Classic will be RP-PvP so it probably won't have as many people stretched throughout the world, especially those who aren't even 60 yet.

Nala - Feral Druid - Grobbulus
"May the eternal sun shine upon thee"
Darkshore
User avatar
donator Posts: 8
Likes: 13
Alliance
Hunter

SweaterMonster wrote:
9 months ago
William wrote:
9 months ago
I'm definitely planning to play on a PvP server (EU side though); however, whether that is PvP (higher population) or RP-PvP (in theory, more 'immersive') is up for debate still.

I'm not really an RPer; however, I can't help but imagine that the overall atmosphere on the latter will be more adult, so to speak. Maybe I'm being naive.
I played on Moonguard US for years in retail since Wrath and I can tell you the feeling of a living world is pretty true there. You can be in the middle of no-where questing and there's a group of people RPing. Somestimes they'll include you if they notice you by simply mentioning you or inviting you.

Those opportunities were always the most fun for me, because it really made it feel like an RPG.

Although, going into Classic will be RP-PvP so it probably won't have as many people stretched throughout the world, especially those who aren't even 60 yet.
I'm on Moon Guard too, what guild? :O

Thunder Bluff
User avatar
donator Posts: 68
Likes: 64
Tauren
Druid

Elistren wrote:
9 months ago
SweaterMonster wrote:
9 months ago
William wrote:
9 months ago
I'm definitely planning to play on a PvP server (EU side though); however, whether that is PvP (higher population) or RP-PvP (in theory, more 'immersive') is up for debate still.

I'm not really an RPer; however, I can't help but imagine that the overall atmosphere on the latter will be more adult, so to speak. Maybe I'm being naive.
I played on Moonguard US for years...
I'm on Moon Guard too, what guild? :O
Haven't played in about a year in a half to two years (Other than leveling up to 20 with the free membership), but I owned my own guild for two years before that. Couldn't remember for the life of me what it's called though :eek:

What about you, what guild are you in?

Nala - Feral Druid - Grobbulus
"May the eternal sun shine upon thee"
Darkshore
User avatar
donator Posts: 8
Likes: 13
Alliance
Hunter

SweaterMonster wrote:
9 months ago
Elistren wrote:
9 months ago
SweaterMonster wrote:
9 months ago
William wrote:
9 months ago
I'm definitely planning to play on a PvP server (EU side though); however, whether that is PvP (higher population) or RP-PvP (in theory, more 'immersive') is up for debate still.

I'm not really an RPer; however, I can't help but imagine that the overall atmosphere on the latter will be more adult, so to speak. Maybe I'm being naive.
I played on Moonguard US for years...
I'm on Moon Guard too, what guild? :O
Haven't played in about a year in a half to two years (Other than leveling up to 20 with the free membership), but I owned my own guild for two years before that. Couldn't remember for the life of me what it's called though :eek:

What about you, what guild are you in?
I haven't stayed in a guild long-term since MoP (and I can't remember what that guild was called), but I briefly raided with Red Royal Trading in WoD and Keleos Soran in Legion. I stopped playing during the Emerald Nightmare raid patch so I've been gone awhile myself.

Ashenvale
User avatar
donator Posts: 36
Likes: 12
Alliance

Not played on an RP PvP server before but I think it will be a reeally popular realm choice this time around.

I did some research about it myself and it seems that WPvP is pretty strong with frequent events and clashes happening all the time. I also read about there being less of a ‘ganking’ and competitive culture as well which I think a lot of people would be attracted to.

Don’t know if that’s 100% sure of course but I can see things feeling a bit slower and more relaxed i that regard.

Druid Restoration
User avatar
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Likes: 763
Tauren
Druid

Doomsnout wrote:
8 months ago
Not played on an RP PvP server before but I think it will be a reeally popular realm choice this time around.

I did some research about it myself and it seems that WPvP is pretty strong with frequent events and clashes happening all the time. I also read about there being less of a ‘ganking’ and competitive culture as well which I think a lot of people would be attracted to.

Don’t know if that’s 100% sure of course but I can see things feeling a bit slower and more relaxed i that regard.
I'm super keen for RP-PvP at this stage, and I hope it is as you say.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Rogue Combat
User avatar
US Westfall
donator Posts: 211
Likes: 144
Orc
Rogue

I played on an RP server throughout most of Cata & Mists and loved it. Though Mists really ruined the game for me, the time I spent on a RP server was really great. It's not as stringent and ridiculous as most people make it out to be, but it did seem to weed out any major troublemakers. I would 100% be down to play on an RP-PVP server!

   teebling
The Barrens
User avatar
donator Posts: 40
Likes: 49

Providing that your guild supports our Azerothian right to graze bill I will be pleased to represent our hooved companions.

Hillsbrad Foothills
User avatar
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 339
Likes: 220
Alliance
Paladin

Can someone with RP-PvP experience clarify what the norms and expectations are for players in such realms? How "in character" do we really have to be? If I address others politely but out of character will that be looked down upon to some extent?

Rogue Combat
User avatar
US Westfall
donator Posts: 211
Likes: 144
Orc
Rogue

rijndael wrote:
8 months ago
Can someone with RP-PvP experience clarify what the norms and expectations are for players in such realms? How "in character" do we really have to be? If I address others politely but out of character will that be looked down upon to some extent?
Mostly anything /say should be in RP. Not necessarily /tell or /party. Each guild does things differently. I was in one guild that used normal guild chat for RP and created a private channel for OOC (out of character). Another guild I was in did the opposite. Some guilds don't do any RP in guild chat and save it for in-person interactions in the world using /say.

   rijndael
Hillsbrad Foothills
User avatar
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 339
Likes: 220
Alliance
Paladin

couchatron wrote:
8 months ago
Mostly anything /say should be in RP. Not necessarily /tell or /party. Each guild does things differently. I was in one guild that used normal guild chat for RP and created a private channel for OOC (out of character). Another guild I was in did the opposite. Some guilds don't do any RP in guild chat and save it for in-person interactions in the world using /say.
That makes sense. I would feel a bit awkward having to RP in guild chat, but I can certainly stay in character with /say.

Thanks for the feedback!

   couchatron
Darkshore
User avatar
donator Posts: 8
Likes: 13
Alliance
Hunter

Well this isn't good! :(

Desolace
User avatar
donator Posts: 52
Likes: 20
Horde
Warlock

They may make an rp-pvp realm later if people want it, but for now you'll have to decide.

A bat in the hand is worth two in the belfry.
Druid Restoration
User avatar
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Likes: 763
Tauren
Druid

Elistren wrote:
8 months ago
Well this isn't good! :(
ToriK wrote:
8 months ago
They may make an rp-pvp realm later if people want it, but for now you'll have to decide.
Am I missing something? Did Blizzard come out saying they weren't releasing RP-PvP servers?

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Rogue Assassination
User avatar
US Westfall
donator Posts: 81
Likes: 60
Human
Rogue

Selexin wrote:
8 months ago
Elistren wrote:
8 months ago
Well this isn't good! :(
ToriK wrote:
8 months ago
They may make an rp-pvp realm later if people want it, but for now you'll have to decide.
Am I missing something? Did Blizzard come out saying they weren't releasing RP-PvP servers?
Yes, in the Q&A this morning with Ion and Lore. Only PvP/PvE/RP on release.

   teebling
Shaman Enhancement
User avatar
donator Posts: 368
Likes: 130
Troll
Shaman

couchatron wrote:
8 months ago
I played on an RP server throughout most of Cata & Mists and loved it. Though Mists really ruined the game for me, the time I spent on a RP server was really great. It's not as stringent and ridiculous as most people make it out to be, but it did seem to weed out any major troublemakers. I would 100% be down to play on an RP-PVP server!
This is why I'm weighing playing on an RP server. Might lose some toxicity/trolls and the server might have a more casual vibe, less people killing Rag while you're level 38.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Druid Restoration
User avatar
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Likes: 763
Tauren
Druid

Solveig wrote:
8 months ago
SpoilerShow
Selexin wrote:
8 months ago
Elistren wrote:
8 months ago
Well this isn't good! :(
ToriK wrote:
8 months ago
They may make an rp-pvp realm later if people want it, but for now you'll have to decide.
Am I missing something? Did Blizzard come out saying they weren't releasing RP-PvP servers?
Yes, in the Q&A this morning with Ion and Lore. Only PvP/PvE/RP on release.
So the RP servers are PvE by default then? I gotta watch this Q&A, I didn't hear about it.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Fataxe
donator Posts:
Likes: 0

I've been talking to other RP/PVP guild leaders and would be leaders as well. We've all come together for similar purpose. Blizzard and Ion H. think 7-10% of the player base is too small of a niche to be worthy enough of our own realm.

We strongly DISAGREE. RP/PVP leaders and guild members do our absolute best to bring Warcraft to life. The rich Warcraft story coupled with an accessible Azeroth as our stage -- we create some of the most long-lasting and player driven and supported story within the game. RP/PvP has been on the list since patch 1.8. It was DEMANDED by the player base

In Vanilla and up until BFA introduced WARMODE, there were a few realm options to choose from:

PvP
-Contested territories players can fight at will in these locations

PvE
-You need to type /pvp to engage in any open world pvp conflict. Note that after you flag you're at an immense disadvantage as other players don't have to flag themselves for battle until they're ready.

RP
-A more uniform naming policy as well as the PvE realm ruleset. In addition to this, Roleplaying was monitored and protected from griefers by blizzard.

The player base DEMANDED a mixture of PvP and RP.
Patch 1.8 we got the first RP/PvP realms!
-A unique blend of RP and grief protection as well as engaging open world and guild versus guild conflict.

RP servers were known to create their own server history and timelines on the forums and elsewhere. RP servers bring the Warcraft story to life. Please support RP/PvP servers by commenting in favor on the official forums!

Official Thread: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... alm/130723

My RP/PVP Post 1 week before the Announcement: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... pvp/122128

My Guild: https://discord.gg/4w32t7u

If Vanilla is your favorite flavor, please consider helping out in support of your community!


ADDITIONALLY
In the coming weeks we will be setting up an RP/PVP Leadership Discord to further centralize our efforts!

Similar topics
to 'The RP-PvP Thread'
Posts ViewsLast post