Page 1 of 1
2 months ago (Pre-release)
Orc Warlock • Min-maxing to 60 and beyond
by Julian Norton • 17th February 2019
This guide is an amalgamation of resources to help those specifically with little time to play, and those who want to be efficient on their way to 60, all while prepping for end-game content. If you can’t play often (like me), take advantage of rested experience and the auction house for quest items. I expect get to 60 in about three months with seven days (168 hours) in-game played. It will be updated accordingly as we learn more about Classic.
- Levelling notes
- Dreadsteed Mount
- Level 60 Talents
- Pre-BiS & BiS Gear
- Raid Consumables & Buffs
- Other resources
- IRL health
Be an Orc if you are serious about PvP. Warlock’s cannot trinket out of stun (https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18852/ ... -the-horde) so the orc stun resist racial https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=20573/hardiness is superb for PvP†. The often forgotten and minor racial 5% increased pet damage https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=21563/command is nice too. Undead is a tiny bit better for PvE, (e.g. tanking Twin Empsin AQ40 because of shadow resistance racial ).
General levelling tips
- Log-off in a city or inn for higher rested bonus, max 10 days offline: SpoilerShow
- If there's nothing to loot, don't skin it if you’re not on top of it (skinning guide on reddit)
- Never get more than Rank 1 Drain Soul
- Only spend money to level the following spells: Corruption, Curse of Agony, Fear (Rank 1), Deathcoil, Siphon Life, Lifetap, Shadowbolt, Demon armor, Soul stone, Health stone, Void Walker, Banish Rank 1, and Curse of Recklessness Rank 1.
- For all other pets, buying a level 6 skill book will automatically learn levels 1–5 which saves you gold.
- Joana's is the best - use the sidebar to toggle it to 'Warlock'.
- Good generic horde write-up by NightElfMohawk
- An in-browser alternative using 'w' and 'd' to progress
The following items will be very useful for completing a lot of quests along the way, so try and find them on the auction house from your alt and mail to your main when possible:
- Deadly Blunderbuss for Ashenvale quest Warsong Saw Blades at ~lvl 26
- Strong Troll’s Blood Potion for Undercity quest https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=515/d ... r-of-agony at ~lvl 34
- Patterned Bronze Bracers for Badlands quest Stone is Better than Cloth at ~lvl 42
- Frost Oil for Badlands quest Coolant Heads Prevail at ~lvl 42
- Gyrochronatom for Badlands quest Gyro... what? at ~lvl 42
- All Green Hills of Stranglethorn quest items from the AH for [Barnil
- Silk Cloth (15) for Searing Gorge quest Caught at ~lvl 51
- Mithril Casing for Un'Goro quest https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=4244/chasing-a-me-01 at ~lvl 50
- Thorium Bar (2) for the Un'Goro section of the Scholomance key quest chain at lvl 55+.
Relax, set yourself up for success and adjust:
- Make a bank alt with an easy name to type
- Adjust interface settings
- Windowed fullscreen
- Remove helmet from being shown so people don’t know when/if you’re wearing engineering hats
- Remove cloaks because they’re ugly
- Adjust keybinds - these are my preferred binds with shift variants:
- Y, G, H, Z, X, [don’t rebind r, used for whispers]
- Follow to ‘~’,
- Autowalk to ‘]’
- Rebind ‘t’ to shoot wand. You can always melee with right click
Once at Razor Hill (Level 10) – make a trip to Orgimmar:
1. Set hearth to Razor Hill, Run to Orgrimmar
2. Get Skinning (to vendor)
3. Get Mining
4. Get Lesser Magic Wand
- a. From Auction House
b. Or farm it yourself in 15 minutes
6. Use your Hearthstone to get back to Razor Hill
Level 11-19 notes
Head to Xroads. Skip buying Curse of Recklessness, Searing Pain, Rain of Fire @ level 12.
10 - 11: Imp Corruption (2/5)
12 - 14: Suppression (3/5)
*(Lots of people going directly for 5/5, adjust accordingly if that's your preference)
Buy Greater Magic Wand
The ESCAPE in the Barrens is first quest reward wand. Very important not to fail. (It's part of Joana's guide to do this quest) if you don't buy a greater wand.
15 - 16: Imp Drain Soul (2/2), buy Grimoire of Sacrifice
17 - 24: Demonology, buy Grimoire of Suffering (lvl24)
17 - 18: Imp Healthstone (2/2), buy Consume Shadows for Voidwalker at lvl18
19 - 21: Demonic Embrace (3/5)
Level 20-29 notes
You can skip buying Banish Rank 1 for now, it's more likely to be used at later levels
19 - 21: Demonic Embrace (3/5) 22 -- improved VW
Lvls 25 - 47: Affliction
25 - 27: Imp Corruption (5/5) 28 - 30: Imp CoA (3/3)
Level 30-39 notes
Grinding begins to become valuable from this point on until around lvl 48:
Optional to get Felhunter for Soulstone Bag, but not needed for levelling.
28 - 30: Imp CoA (3/3)
31 - 32: Imp Lifetap (2/2)
- Minimum Level 31 - In Search of Menara Voidrender from Warlock Traine. Go to 62,35 in Rachet, Barrens - this is the quest for Enchanted Gold Bloodrobe that can last you well into your 50s (very difficult)
- When you get this quest stop by the AH and buy
- Robes of Arcana (1)
- Gold Bar (1)
35 - 36: Grim Reach (2/2)
- Level 35 - Knowledge of the Orb of Orahil - Make sure you go the The Completed Orb of Dar'Orahil route and take the orb!. This will last you quite a long while, and the active use isn't that bad.
38: Siphon Life (1/1) 39: Suppression (5/5)
Level 40-49 notes
Same spell rotation as before. Skip buying Curse of Shadow and Soul Fire.
Level 40 - Summon Felsteed - click, click, free mount!
Level 40 - Craft/buy: Shadoweave Set from around level 37 to 44. This set is very useful and will last you into your 50s.
40: Amplify Curse (1/1)
41 - 42: Fel Concentration (2/5) (Flex)
43 - 47: Shadow Mastery (5/5)
48 - 49: Demonic Embrace (5/5)
Level 50-59 notes
50: Fel Domination (1/1)
- @ level 50 - An Imp's Request - quest for a unique, warlock only weapon, the Soul Harvester!
- Don’t dismiss the trinket Abyssal Shard! I know the staff the staff is excellent, especially in phase one, but it will eventually be replaced.
55 - 59: Unholy Power (5/5)
- When Smokey Sings, I Get Violent - Plaguelands quest for wand.
Alternative levelling talents
Lean towards Demonology if levelling solo and rush https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18707. Affliction if leveling with someone.
Another leveling talent progression:
1. 3/5 into https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=17812.
2. 5 into https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18701.
3. 3 into https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18707.
4. 2 points https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18743
6. 4 points into https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18751
7. BACK TO AFFLICTION -- 2 points https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18175
8. 2 points https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=8288
9. 2 points https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18183
10. 1 https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=17810
11. 1 https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18288
12. 3 https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18830
13. At this point, if lots of PVP going on, go https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=19028. If you are ahead of the pack, go affliction.
14. 2 https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18709
15. 3 https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18771
16. https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=19028 if still don't have.
At level 60 you will want to get your hands on the Epic Dreadsteed. Note the mount will only become available in phase 2 because it requires clearing Dire Maul. Contrary to popular belief the mount is not completely free and will require clearing some instances, gathering valuable resources and indeed a little bit of too. Below is a shopping list and google doc guide that will help you.
- 6 https://classic.wowhead.com/item=8845 • Can be purchased from https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=14846 at Darkmoon Faire for 15 silver each
- 2 https://classic.wowhead.com/item=8925/crystal-vial • From any trade vendor
- 6 https://classic.wowhead.com/item=14344 • Disenchanted from Blue items from BRD/DM:N (lvl 55 and upwards) or bought off AH
- 25 https://classic.wowhead.com/item=11099 • Requires 230 Mining and access to BRD or bought off AH
- 3 https://classic.wowhead.com/item=15416 • Skinned from BRS mobs or bought off AH
- 1 https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12359 • Off AH or smelted by a Miner
- 1 https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12363 • Find on AH. Combine this with the Thorium Bar to produce https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12360/arcanite-bar (or just buy an Arcanite Bar off the AH to begin with)
Click on each of the images below to go directly to the talent calculator page for that built on Wowhead Classic.
Raiding talent builds
This guide also is a great primer for guides and juggling mobs in general
Affliction focus - Shadow Mastery + Ruin (30/0/21)
- If you’re assigned to cast corruption in raids (due to debuff limits)
- Better for trash
- Good for AQ40 because there are more opportunities to dot
The Curse of Exhaustion spell is only useful on https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=15990 and https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=11713 and https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18288 are very situational in raids so you are free to move those talents around. The rest is pretty much mandatory, though. Also note that the only reason we spec into https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18881 is to reach the https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18275 talent, it's a very inefficient spell overall so don't use it just because you spent a talent point on it. Siphon Life does NOT proc Nightfall.
Sacrifice – 7/21/23 or 9/21/21 (9 if you’re cursing in raids)
- Spam shadowbolts in raids
- More utility and flexibility than SM/Ruin
- Be at max range to avoid aoe fears from bosses
- If BWL – okay to put points into Improved https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=17929 instead of https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=17778
- https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18788 other pets situationally (e.g. you need more fire damage)
General BGs PvP
Felhunter is just too good not to use with the self devour. I use it in almost every spec in PvP except soul-link if there are too many rogues and instead use Voidwalker.
DoT and pray for https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18095, tanky†.
FIRE! I want to blow stuff up - my favourite with Succubus for big soulfire crits
Shadow Mastery Ruin (SM/Ruin) – my personal favorite in t3 and in a premade
I define "pre-bis" as items you can't get without directly raiding and can be better than raid drops. BiS ("Best in slot) must be taken with some flexibility as "the best" isn't always feasible to get.Massive thank you to Zephan from the Warlock Discord for putting the resources together
Pre-BIS Gear Phase 1
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=10504/green-lens "of Shadow Wrath" Stats are random, +36 shadow damage is great.
- ... Of Shadow Wrath - Max Shadow spell damage is +30
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=14112/ ... -shoulders
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18720/ ... -nathrezim
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=10028/ ... -shoulders
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13386/archivist-cape of Shadow (or any "of shadow wrath")
- "of shadow wrath", +38 is excellent.
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=14136/ ... nter-night
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=14146/ ... ll-mastery
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13170/ ... d-leggings
- "of shadow wrath", +30 is excellent.
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18102/ ... ider-boots
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7553/b ... he-unicorn
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=22268/ ... sed-emblem
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=17780/ ... l-darkness (unique effect)
- "of shadow wrath", +20 is excellent.
- "of shadow wrath", +10 is excellent.
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13396/ ... stly-touch
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13938/ ... per-stylus
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12752/ ... let-savant
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18814/ ... -fire-lord
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=17109/ ... ightenment
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19145/ ... tile-power
- https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=18458 ... f-the-void
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13409/tearfall-bracers "of shadow wrath", +21 is excellent.
- https://www.wowhead.com/item=10787/atalai-gloves "Of shadow", rare to get the +29 shadow damage.
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18809/ ... ed-secrets
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19136/ ... iting-cord
- https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=23667 ... e-leggings
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19147/ ... pell-power 2x (not unique)
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18820/ ... eral-power
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=17103/ ... -mageblade
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19142/ ... d-grimoire
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=10796/drakestone with +21 is perfect
Not all of these are phase 1:
https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=22888 provided server-wide by turning in heads of Onyxia/Nefarian in Orgrimmar
https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=16609 ... s-blessing provided server-wide by turning in the head of Rend Blackhand in Orgrimmar
https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=24425 provided server-wide by handing in the heart of Hakkar (Zul'Gurub) in Orgrimmar
https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=22817, https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=22820, https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=22818 insane buffs from completing a Dire Maul Tribute run
https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=15366 random buff from picking https://classic.wowhead.com/object=164886 in Felwood (Herbalism not required)
https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=23766 or https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=23768 from Sayge in Darkmoon Faire
Plus the normal buffs (e.g. https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=1126, https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=1459 ) from your raid members.
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3387 (locks your threat, giving your tank time to get more aggro)
Resistance protection potions depending on instance. Eg. https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13457/ ... ion-potion for MC
You'll want to start with Skinning (to vendor as per reddit guide) and Mining (to save up mats for Engineering later). Whilst mining any extra ores you pick up remember to sell them on AH as ores, not bars (so that Alchemists and other Miners can make use of them for skill ups/transmutes etc).
Once you have 50 https://classic.wowhead.com/item=4234 banked, or once you have obtained 3 https://classic.wowhead.com/item=15416 for your Dreadsteed, you'll want to drop Skinning and switch to Engineering (videos below explain why):
Alternatively you could drop mining for tailoring at level 60. You’re a miner for quests, to level engineering, and to bank mats. The best chest for awhile requires a BoP recipes from tailoring: https://classic.wowhead.com/item=14153. It’s feasible to drop mining if: there’s a healthy economy, you have a lot of gold, or other character can feed you resources.
Make sure to train First Aid! It's extremely useful in reducing your downtime while leveling. Fishing and Cooking are lower priority and can be great if you have a lot of time on your hands.
Fishing & Cooking combined 1-300 GuideShow
Fishing Classic Vanilla WoW Professions Overview/Guide: FishingShow
- Warlock specific discord
- Warlock spells - what level you can get them, and their gold cost
- Spell Hit vs Spell Crit analysis
- Downranking is almost never worth it
Take care of yourself mentally and physically. WoW is a game and is the least important thing in the big picture of things. Remember it’s for fun.
You should move more and sit less throughout the day. Some physical activity is better than none. Adults who sit less and do any amount of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity gain some health benefits.
For substantial health benefits, adults should do at least one of the following:
- 2.5 hours – 5 hours a week of moderate-intensity
- 1.25 hours to 2.5 hours a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity
- or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity.
Additionally, you should also do muscle-strengthening activities of moderate or greater intensity and that involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week.
Further reading on WoW & Health:
- https://countdowntoclassic.com/2018/12/ ... -batching/
- Eat better
- https://health.gov/paguidelines/second- ... df#page=56
Thanks for reading. Guide compiled by Julian Norton. Formatting and editing by Teebling.
3 weeks ago (Pre-release)
Will be maining an Orc Warlock in Classic. Thanks for the guide.
3 weeks ago (Pre-release)
awesome guide! looking forward to updates on addons and macros.
1 week ago (Beta)
Orc Warlock master race. Thanks for the great guide, see you in Azeroth!
to 'Orc Warlock • Min-maxing to 60 and beyond'Posts ViewsLast post