Hunter Survival
Alliance Hunter 1
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
  •  Unread

I've completely forgotten how they work in Vanilla. Are all silences basically blanket silences or do you have to hit them during a cast for them to work? If I'm not remembering wrong most silences were blanket back in the day?

Arathi Basin
User avatar
EU Ghostlands
477
Horde
Hunter
Horde Hunter 477
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
  •  Unread

Player spells like Kick for example will work as per the tooltip - has to be cast as an interruptor which then silences that school for X seconds.

Mob silences I’m certain will work as per original - a blanket silence as described.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

Nothing good has ever come out of Silithus - Redzy_TV
Admin • Bug reportsAvatar requests
Image
EU Grim Batol
28
Horde
Mage
Horde Mage 28
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
  •  Unread

teebling wrote:
3 weeks ago
...an interruptor which then silences that school for X seconds.
Aahhh yes fond memories there. It gave my frostmage the possibility to swim in a river of warlock tears.

Those were the days!

Alliance 32
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
  •  Unread

Forsakenone wrote:
3 weeks ago
teebling wrote:
3 weeks ago
...an interruptor which then silences that school for X seconds.
Aahhh yes fond memories there. It gave my frostmage the possibility to swim in a river of warlock tears.

Those were the days!
My lv60 Felhunter won over my lv60 mage friend in a 1v1 duel. Those where the days!

EU Grim Batol
28
Horde
Mage
Horde Mage 28
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
  •  Unread

Quaria wrote:
3 weeks ago
Forsakenone wrote:
3 weeks ago
teebling wrote:
3 weeks ago
...an interruptor which then silences that school for X seconds.
Aahhh yes fond memories there. It gave my frostmage the possibility to swim in a river of warlock tears.

Those were the days!
My lv60 Felhunter won over my lv60 mage friend in a 1v1 duel. Those where the days!
Ahhhh yes those fuckugly creatures, I hated them too.

Undercity
User avatar
EU Ragnaros
150
Alliance
Alliance 150
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
  •  Unread

An "silence" means it stops the enemy from being able to cast spells for X seconds.
An "interrupt" means it stops the current spell for being casted.

Both exist in Classic (and all expansions).
You can know if a spell is an silence or an interrupt just by the wording of the tooltip.

Example of an interrupt: https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=1769/kick
Example of an silence: https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=13867/improved-kick

   teebling
Moderator • Private Message
Image
Arathi Basin
User avatar
EU Ghostlands
477
Horde
Hunter
Horde Hunter 477
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
  •  Unread

Great example Syturio.

Nothing good has ever come out of Silithus - Redzy_TV
Admin • Bug reportsAvatar requests
Image
The Barrens
User avatar
Horde 142
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
  •  Unread

Yea, people have always confused Silences and lockouts. Lockouts are spell tree specific (ex you Kick a Holy tree spell, prevents them from casting anything in the Holy tree only) while Silence stops all casting from any tree. Funny because in Cata there was actually a Silence (Strangulate) where if you glyphed for the improve version you could Silence for 2 additional seconds if you caught their cast with it. You could stop a healer from casting a heal for quite a bit with Grip on first cast -> Pet charge to interrupt second -> Pet Gnaw to interrupt third -> Glyphed Strangulate on the fourth cast for a 7 second Silence lmao. It was like a 15second “you ain’t casting shit” chain while you stacked Necrotic Strike to 500k heal absorb. Oh god...

E: and you had a ranged kick on top of that in Mind Freeze LOL

Image
Undercity
User avatar
EU Ragnaros
150
Alliance
Alliance 150
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
  •  Unread

Jpy wrote:
3 weeks ago
in Cata there was actually a Silence (Strangulate) where if you glyphed for the improve version you could Silence for 2 additional seconds if you caught their cast with it.
WoTLK had those kind of silences too.
Mages had an talent that doubled their Silence duration (to 9sec) if you caught their cast with it.
Fel Hunter pet from Warlocks same.

Moderator • Private Message
Image
The Barrens
User avatar
Horde 142
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
  •  Unread

Syturio wrote:
3 weeks ago
Jpy wrote:
3 weeks ago
in Cata there was actually a Silence (Strangulate) where if you glyphed for the improve version you could Silence for 2 additional seconds if you caught their cast with it.
WoTLK had those kind of silences too.
Mages had an talent that doubled their Silence duration (to 9sec) if you caught their cast with it.
Fel Hunter pet from Warlocks same.
Don’t think that existed in WotLK. WotLK had the same Imp Counterspell that exists in Vanilla, it has a 4 second blanket Silence baked in to the standard lockout and you don’t need to interrupt a cast to get the Silence.

Image
Undercity
User avatar
EU Ragnaros
150
Alliance
Alliance 150
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
  •  Unread

Oh, you are right, mybad :p

Moderator • Private Message
Image
Similar topics
to 'How does Silence abilities work in Vanilla?'
Posts ViewsLast post