Master Blacksmith - Specialising and hunting for unique Plans
Friday 1st February 2019 • by fendor
- Why Blacksmithing?
- Trainers and where to find them
- Mastering a specialisation
- Hunting for Plans
When Classic releases you will hear a lot of people saying things like this. Blacksmithing is one of those professions that get always discarded because "it will slow you down!" or "there is no useful items for the end-game crafted with blacksmithing, so why bother?".Blacksmithing is non-optimal for warriors. You should choose alchemy+herbalism if you want something useful for raiding. Or even better, don't learn any profession aside first aid, they will all be a time sink. A money sink. And you could also risk having fun and we don't like you having fun.
In my opinion these arguments have one thing in common: they take it for granted that you have to be efficient in WoW; that you have to level fast, that you have to rush to the end-game, that you have to 'beat' it. Everyone will have their self-imposed objective at the end of the day, but even after killing Kel'Thuzad at the end of Naxxramas, there's no game screen telling you "Congratulations, you won!" or anything like that.
You have to play in a way in which you will have fun: and I will show you why blacksmithing is one of the most enjoyable professions that Classic will have to offer. Blacksmithing is not a means to an end, it's a journey in itself and will take you far across Azeroth searching for plans and resources to improve your trade. In vanilla, smithies were well known on their servers for their particular niche crafts and the profession goes well beyond reaching 300 skill level.
Every capital city has an apprentice:
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=4605 for Undercity
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=10278 for Thunder Bluff
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=10266 for Orgrimmar
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=957 for Stormwind
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=10277 for Ironforge
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=3557 in Silverpine Forest
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=3174 in Durotar
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=514 in Elwynn Forest
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=1241 in Dun Morogh
Bear in mind that there are no blacksmithing trainers in Teldrassil because... well I guess it's a tree, there's not much ore there or something. If you want to have your Night Elf learn blacksmithing, you will have to travel all the way to Darkshore to https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=6299
Journeyman (up to 150)
Again, aside from Darnassus, every capital city has a journeyman:
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=4596 for Undercity
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=2998 for Thunder Bluff
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=1383 for Orgrimmar
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=5511 for Stormwind
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=10276 for Ironforge
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=3478 in the Barrens for the Horde
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=3136 in Duskwood for Alliance
Now we start coming short of trainers that can teach skill caps and standard Plans:
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=3355 in Orgrimmar for the Horde
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=4258 in Ironforge for the Alliance
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=7802 in Stranglethorn Vale for both. This will be a pivotal NPC for a lot of quests, so keep his location in mind!
Once you have reached Artisan things diverge a little bit:
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=2836 in Booty Bay is a neutral trainer and the only one that will teach you recipes without needing a specialization. Unfortunately, he only teaches you up to skill 275. After that, you will need a specialization of your choice to proceed.
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=11177 in Orgrimmar is the Armorsmith trainer for the Horde
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=11178 in Orgrimmar is the Weaponsmith trainer for the Horde
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=5164 in Ironforge is the Armorsmith trainer for the Alliance
- https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=11146 in Ironforge is the Weaponsmith trainer for the Alliance
Sticking only to these trainers will not benefit you much. In fact, even the most skilled trainer won't teach you anything past 275 skill level if you don't have a specialisation - so it's time to take a look at your next step.
This is where the fun begins. There is no best path to choose so make a decision and stick to it! Before planning out what specialisation you want to take it might be worth jumping to the hunting for plans section to have a look at what items you want to eventually be able to craft. This section will describe the actual process of gaining a blacksmithing specialisation.
NB: As of 1.9 they did introduce a way of switching your smithing spec by spending a bunch of and finding https://classic.wowhead.com/object=177226 in North Eastern Tanaris. Just remember though that you will build yourself a reputation around what you can craft and it's best to stick with one mastery branch from the beginning for that reason.
The quest requires level 40 and at least 200 blacksmithing skill and the following items to be turned in - you could simply buy them from AH, as per all the item in the following quests, but a real blacksmith would never do that ;-)
- 4 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3853. This is not taught by any trainer, you have to find https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12163, that is on limited supply in Stranglethorn Vale from https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=2482
- 4 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3855. This is not taught by any trainer, you have to find https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12164, that is on limited supply in Stranglethorn Vale from https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=2483 or https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=1146 (this is Horde only)
- 2 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7941. Thaught by Blacksmithing trainer at 210
- 2 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7945. Thaught by Blacksmithing trainer at 230
Doing a little breakdown on materials (thanks to Wowwiki for this) you will need:
- 86 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3575
- 56 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3860
- 32 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3857
- 28 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=4234
- 16 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3577
- 16 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3486
- 16 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3466
- 12 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=1705
- 8 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=1210
- 4 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3864
- 4 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7966
- 2 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=4304
- 2 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7971 This will be probably the harder item to farm, they are pretty rare. I suggest you to farm them at the turtles in the shore north to Raventusk Village in the Hinterlands
That's all. Just turn in these items and you are done.... Where do you train these recipes you said? Well, this is the hard part. You see, only one person in the whole Azeroth knows the secrets of the Ornate Mithril, and he will not teach them to the first person that he meets, right? If you want to learn the required recipes like a real blacksmith would do and not just run to the AH, bear with me a little longer:
- The first step is completing https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=2756 for Horde or https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=2758 for Alliance
- You will be directed towards Stranglethorn Vale and, after a while, the quest https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=2760 will bring you to your master, https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=7802
- He will offer you three quests - if you want to proceed until the end of the chain, you will need to complete ALL OF THEM, even if a follow-up is given after just completing one:
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=2761 requires 40 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3575 and 40 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3860, and will reward you with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7983
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=2762 requires 40 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3860 and 5 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=6037, and will reward you with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7984
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=2763 requires 40 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3860 and 4 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3864, and will reward you with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7985
- Yes, that's a LOT of https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3860 (120 bars!) and, if you have been paying attention, you will see that NONE of them are items required for https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=5301. This is because https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=7802 is a bit sadistic, and taught you half of his recipes and the other half to https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=2764, https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=7804. He knows what you need!
- So, at this point, head to Gadgetzan. You will have three quests available, and every one of them will teach you one of the required items:
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=2771 requires 2 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7931 and 1 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7928, and will reward you with the ability to craft https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7937
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=2773 requires 2 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7930 and 1 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7927, and will reward you with the ability to craft https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7935
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=2772 requires 2 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7933 and 1 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7926, and will reward you with the ability to craft https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7936
- The whole Ornate Mithril set has no direct bonus, but it has some really cool effects: if you equip all of it you will have +4% dodge (!!!) +3% critical strike (!!!) and an awesome effect for PVP, that can remove many nasty effects. And all of them BEFORE level 45!
- After all of this work you can go back to the beginning, turn in the items, and it's done! You are an armorsmith!
- One important note: all the quests, aside from https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=5301 for Horde and https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=5283 for Alliance, are doable from every blacksmith, EVEN A WEAPONSMITH! This could be useful for having extra recipes and because doing these quests also rewards you with two cool trinkets, https://classic.wowhead.com/item=10418 and https://classic.wowhead.com/item=8703
Whichever path you chose, now you are ready to hunt the appropriate Plans!
Here we are, to the juicy part. I will not list EVERY recipe you can find (it would be silly to even try) but instead highlight the ones that are most profitable/interesting/funny. Everything from here on is highly subjective, every comment/correction/addition is gladly welcome in the comments!
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7989 is a world drop from mob between levels 40-50. It's a great recipe for 2 reasons: it's awesome to level up blacksmithing with a little number of https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3860 AND it's always good to have a little speed boost when mounted :-)
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=22222 dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=15263 in AQ40 (so probably not available as soon as Classic release). It has a cool proc with a pop-up a spell-shield, very handy.
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=22220 dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=15340 in AQ20 (so probably not available as soon as Classic release). A cool proc, useful probably for hunters, that steals mana from the enemy.
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=22389 is a world drop (world bosses, raid trash) that requires Master Swordsmith to be learned, and it's a good sword for casters.
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12728 is a world drop (world bosses, raid trash) that requires Armorsmithing to be learned, it's really rare and a good money-maker for the cool proc.
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=22390 is a world drop (world bosses, raid trash) that requires Master Hammersmith to be crafted.
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12838 is the sole reason why a lot of people decide to go down the Axesmith path, since it's needed to craft it. It's probably one of the most iconic weapons of the game, and for a reason: in the first day of Vanilla it was one of the strongest weapons in the game! The plans are dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=9596, a rare mob found in the lowest part of LBRS. Since it's not always available AND the droprate is not very high, it can requires more than 50 runs to see one, so stick at it!
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12720 is a world drop (world bosses, raid trash) that requires Armorsmithing to be learned, it's really rare and a huge money-maker, since these gauntlets make you IMMUNE to disarm. I think there's nothing more to say :-)
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=22388 is a world drop (world bosses, raid trash) that requires Armorsmithing to be learned, it's really rare and a huge money-maker, since the stats on the leggings are awesome.
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12717 is a world drop (world bosses, raid trash) that requires Armorsmithing to be learned, it's really rare and a huge money-maker, since it's one of the best DPS plate helms in game.
I put this group at the end, since it has not really use (the stats of the items are not really anything) but being able to craft it was a sort of status quo because the recipes were damn rare! I'm talking about the Runic Plate "set" that is composed of:
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12719 This is the only guaranteed drop, from the https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=1885
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12718 These are dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=4368 (or https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=16072) on Alcaz Island
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12714 These are dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=4364 on Alcaz Island
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12706 These are dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=4366 on Alcaz Island
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12707 These are dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=1836 in Heartglen. There are only 6 of these mobs in the main fortress, so be prepared for a long grind (even longer than the others!)
- The mobs in Western Plaguelands are around 55-57 level elite, while on Alcaz Island they are 59-60 level elite, so you will probably need a group to effectively farm these recipes. Only for the true completionist!
In LBRS there's a secret quest, that will start once you find some human remains
https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=10918 in Winterspring also has a cool quest for blacksmiths: after listening to his tale it will give you https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=5127. Head then to UBRS and look for https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=10899. Kill him, use https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12848 on his corpse and get the nearby https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12806. In exchange, you will receive https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12696 (and some greenies also)
Killing the Twilight Hammer NPCs in Silithus will often drop https://classic.wowhead.com/item=20404. You can turn them in in Cenarion Hold for reputation with the Cenarion Circle OR you can go to https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=15194 and complete https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=8323 (the repeatable version is https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=8324). After 24 hours from completion you will receive a mail in-game: it will have some random goodies attached. If you are VERY lucky you can get one of these 3 plans. This is the ONLY way to get them:
- At the moment of this writing the requirements in the tooltip are WRONG because they were nerfed in later expansions, stick with what I wrote
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=7653 for 20 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12359 will reward you with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12688
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=7654 for 40 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12359 will reward you with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12700
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=7655 for 20 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12359 will reward you with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12690
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=7656 for 60 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12359 will reward you with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12705
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=7657 for 50 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12359 will reward you with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12701
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=7658 for 60 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12359 will reward you with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12715
- https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=7659 for 20 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12359 will reward you with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12687
- So in total you will need 270 https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12359, and to craft the whole set you will need an additional:
- This is a good tanking set for starter, and one that requires no skill except farming a lot of Thorium! Also, it wears really cool on Alliance.
- All the halves are NOT a guaranteed drop, so don't worry if you don't find them at your first try.
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18779, dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=10899 in UBRS, and https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18780, dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=11501 in Dire Maul, will compose https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18769. Once created the volume it will start https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=7649 that will end at https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=14368 at Dire Maul library. You will be rewarded with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12727
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18781, dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=11120 in Stratholme (to spanw him you will have to collect the https://classic.wowhead.com/object=176325 before https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=10997 in the living side of the instance), and https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18782, dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=11622 in Scholomance, will compose https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18770. Once created the volume will start https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=7650 that will end at https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=14368 at Dire Maul library. You will be rewarded with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12726
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18783, dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=11121 in Stratholme (to spawn him you will have to collect the https://classic.wowhead.com/object=176327 before the first ziggurat on the undead side of the instance), and https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18784, dropped by https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=10584 in LBRS (to spawn him you will need a https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12533 and https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12534 then, after the spider section, you will have to put them on top of Urok's Tribute Pile), will compose https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18771. Once created the volume will start https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=7651 that will end at https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=14368 at Dire Maul library. You will be rewarded with https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12725
- To create all the pieces you will need a grand total of:
- 24 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12360. These will require the help of an alchemist. You can provide him 1x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12359 and 1 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12363 and he can generate the bar. Unfortunately, this transmute is on a daily cooldown, so alchemists tend to make you pay for this
- 60 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12655. For these, an enchanter is required: with 1x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12359 and 3 x 1x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=11176 (provided by him) you can generate one bar. Again, it will be costly (not as costly as the https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12360, but still costly)
- 10 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7076. These are best farmed from the Stone Elementals in north-western Silithus
- 10 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=7080. A good place to farm these are the lakes in Eastern Plaguelands
- 3 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12364
- 3 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12800
- 2 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12799
- 2 x https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12361
- These are great pieces for tanking since they start to stack some defense(+26 in total) and you can make good money selling them, since usually not too many people bother grindings the volumes.
Every respectable Blacksmith should increase his reputation with The Thorium Brotherhood to access https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=12944. He resides in the Grim Guzzler in BRD, and when talking to him you will be able to see only the items you can buy with your current level of reputation. He has a ton of recipes for blacksmiths:
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=17051 - Requires Armorsmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=17060 - Requires Master Axesmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=17052 - Requires Armorsmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=17059 - Requires Master Swordsmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=17049 - Requires Armorsmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=17053 - Requires Armorsmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19208 - Requires Weaponsmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19209 - Requires Weaponsmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19211 - Requires Master Swordsmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=20040 - Requires Armorsmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19207 - Requires Armorsmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19206 - Requires Armorsmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19210 - Requires Master Hammersmithing
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19212 - Requires Master Axesmithing
- As you see all of this require certain kind of specialization!
- Some of these requires raid material (https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19726 from Zul'Gurub and https://classic.wowhead.com/item=22202, that are mined from https://classic.wowhead.com/object=181068 and https://classic.wowhead.com/object=181069, that appears when you kill Anubishat and other mobs in AQ). All of them requires a certain level of reputation with Cenarion Circle, so even if the vendor is not available, it could be good to start farming the reputation (at least up to revered).
- https://classic.wowhead.com/item=22219, the only craftable shield by a blacksmith in the whole game, and with a great proc: it has a 5% (!!!) chance of silence the enemy that attacks you with a spell for 3 second
- All of them requires a certain level of reputation with Zandalar Tribe and materials that are found only inside ZG (https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19774 and https://classic.wowhead.com/item=19726).
https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=10856, https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=10857 and https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=11536; they will sell 2 of them, and they will require reputation with Argent Dawn:
https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=11278 is another vendor you will have to unlock in order to buy these recipes:
This vendor is actually a ghost, so you will need a special trinket to see him (he resides in Caer Darrow, in the blacksmith near Scholomance). In order to obtain the trinket you will need to start https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=5382. Finishing the whole chain will let you have https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13544. Equipping it will let you see all the ghosts in Caer Darrow.
And that's it! I hope this guide was informative for you and that you choose blacksmithing as one your professions in Classic. I'm convinced it will be your favourite. Any comments, ideas, feedback etc. just reply to this thread!
Hydraxian Waterlords - RP - EU
- Fendor - Tauren Shaman
- Ildebrando - Dwarf Hunter
- Osandiron - Dwarf Priest
Bookmarked for my endgame hunter :) Great job on this fendor.
I think that I will be taking Armorsmithing personally so that I can make some nice mail pieces and explore the world a bit which goes along with the hunter playstyle.
I already crafted Sulfuras back in late WOTLK by solo farming MC on my paladin so I’ve experienced that already (even if it wasn’t as epic and didn’t require huge amounts of cooperation etc).
That was the whole point :-) Thank you very much!
Hydraxian Waterlords - RP - EU
- Fendor - Tauren Shaman
- Ildebrando - Dwarf Hunter
- Osandiron - Dwarf Priest
What a brilliant guide, very timely reading for my main. Thank you.
10 months ago
Scared that I will play too much and my family will suffer from this kind of addiction. Best to not play Classic and pla14 years ago I could play WoW for 10 hours straight a day from Vanilla up to Mists of Pandaria and thats where I started playing less and at BFA i...Vinsjuhnl • 1 year agoShamelessEU
1 year ago