Before Cataclysm Changed World of Warcraft

Well, it’s been just over a week since the Cataclysm changed the face of World of Warcraft, one week since Azeroth was nearly destroyed. World of Warcraft has changed more in this one week, than it has done in the past 6 or 7 years I’ve played Wow, but what are my opinions of these Cataclysm changes?

The verdict so far? Well I’m liking it, I’m liking it a lot. Now the areas have been redesigned using the  phasing that they added with WotLK. Your actions performed by way of quests actually seem to make a difference  Having only played fully through the new Forsaken area up to Hillsbrad Foothills, so I can’t say it’s the same for every area but I am definitely looking forward to finding out,

Although, In my usual tradition, I can’t bring myself to stick to one character and level them all the way to the top. I’ve already created an Undead hunter (Technically, I created two of them as I deleted my first because I wanted to start new professions, and if I’m running through the starting lands rising those professions I might as well get some quests and get more gold (well silver) while I’m doing it. – not as good a decision as I thought it would be, it turns out), a gnome priest, and a Tauren Hunter. There’s likely to be a Night Elf Mage in there as well, not to mention the Goblins/Worgens I’ll be creating in a weeks time when Cataclysm comes out.

One final point that’s definitely worth note is that the instances are now harder. Don’t get me wrong you’re still very unlikely to spend 3-4 hours struggling to get through Ragefire Chasm. Bosses have been upgraded with lots more HP or changed altogether with new moves and skills that I certainly wasn’t expecting the first time I met them. I have even died a couple of times, as well which came as a refreshing change. Not to sound arrogant but I did get to the ‘phoning-it-in-stage’ at one point. Plus, a lot of the instance quest givers have been moved inside the instance, so you can get your hands on those considerably more tasty blue’s without trekking to the other side of the continent to get the quests.

All in all, in my opinion, a large and rather irritable lizard bursting through the  earth destroying most of the world by fire and natural disasters, may well have been the best thing that has ever happened to World of Warcraft.

About the Author

Jim Franklin

Jim Franklin is a freelance writer, living in Derby UK with his wife and his player 3. When time allows he likes nothing more than losing himself in a multi-hour gaming session. He likes most games and will play anything but prefers MMO's, and sandbox RPG's.

Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Scroll to Top