The Barrens
Horde brank
16
8 months ago
8 months ago
  •  Unread

So from what I remember it was all about rogues being totally imba in both world and bgs. That and frost mages being the kite kings,

What other classes were strong and in which brackets were they strongest?

Stormwind
User avatar
US Garona
24
brank
Alliance
Alliance brank
24
8 months ago
8 months ago
  •  Unread

It really depends on the situation - like you say Rogues were considered 'imba' but only really of player killing in world PvP. Other classes did better in BGs.

You might want to have a look at this post over on the Nostalrius subreddit where there are some good comments that break down class advantages/disadvantages

Image
Duskwood
brank
21
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

I didn't PvP at all in Vanilla save for the odd city raid, but there was definitely class imbalance if that's what you are asking.

Warrs were the only tanks, priests the only healers, etc. etc. If they address the class balance issue then people will be up in arms saying that it isn't a true rendition of vanilla, others such as myself will be grateful :)

Teldrassil
Horde Hunter brank
45
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Iced_Plasma wrote:
7 months ago
Warrs were the only tanks, priests the only healers, etc. etc. If they address the class balance issue then people will be up in arms saying that it isn't a true rendition of vanilla, others such as myself will be grateful :)
I’m in agreement here - so what if there are specific specs and classes for specific roles? Personally I preferred it this way - you knew where you stood and what your class was capable of as opposed to a mish mash of everyone can do a bit of everything. It also left some space for interesting meta builds that could surprise in PvP, and creative alternatives drawn up when a cookie cutter couldnt be found for the job!

Ironforge
Horde brank
82
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

I used to PvP a lot on twinks from very early 2005 to mid 2008. It was more or less 'my jam.'

Different classes were shining at different levels. Rogues were always good in one way or another, but not crazily over the top at all times. Shamans at level 39 brackets and up were one hell of a danger just because of their unpredictable Windfury.

Shadow Priests was equally annoying as well at 39 and up if they was the one initiating the one on one, and was even a really good group healer if necessary.

All around, classes were "balanced" in the twinking brackets if they were close to, or at their best, and also depending on who initiated first, or even played the terrain better.

Rogues were just more annoying because of their invisibility. Oh, and being an engineer was helpful as well.

Orgrimmar
User avatar
US Hyjal
16
brank
Horde
Horde brank
16
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Firelord wrote:
7 months ago
Rogues were always good in one way or another, but not crazily over the top at all times.
Do you think people overestimate rogues OPness in vanilla? On a lot of forums the classic haters are always using this as an excuse for why it won’t work etc. People seem to think they are invincible but surely there were good counter strats?

Firelord wrote:
7 months ago
Oh, and being an engineer was helpful as well.
Yeah there’s so many engineer items that are not usable in BGs now and I think that’s a shame. Also some twink items required engineering if I’m not mistaken?

Ironforge
Horde brank
82
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Quillboar wrote:
7 months ago
Do you think people overestimate rogues OPness in vanilla? On a lot of forums the classic haters are always using this as an excuse for why it won’t work etc. People seem to think they are invincible but surely there were good counter strats?
Yes, and no. Rogues were in fact very strong, but this was seen more at the highest levels of play, so level 60. At lower levels, classes didn't have access to all of their kit so certain 'deadly combos' didn't exist. However, rogues were still a pain to deal with if they were the ones initiating the fight. But a lot of other classes had tools in their hands to deal with rogues. Rogues were still a bit squishy, that's why majority of them stacked up on health potions and relied on the well infamous Gouge + bandage combo, as well as the escaping with Vanish when it was not going their way. This could of course be countered with DoTs, which almost every class had access to.

Warriors were always a direct counter to Rogues, because of Overpower; using Evasion against a Warrior spelled out a certain death, because it gave Warrior access to Overpower spam, which was far too dangerous for a Rogue to deal with. Warriors countered Vanish with Rend, and countered the Rogue's Crippling Poison with their own Hamstring.

I could give many more examples, like the sudden and unpredictable spike of Windfury the Shaman had access to, as well as a Flame Shock dot and totems such as Poison Cleansing Totem.

Hunters had Flare, giving them the chance to get the Rogue out of their Stealth first.

Priests had annoying DoTs as well as Power Word: Shield to protect them from most of the damage, as well as their own HoTs to minimize the damage taken from the Rogue even more.

There's a reason why Rogues were given Cloak of Shadows in The Burning Crusade expansion.

Quillboar wrote:
7 months ago
Yeah there’s so many engineer items that are not usable in BGs now and I think that’s a shame. Also some twink items required engineering if I’m not mistaken?
One that comes to mind are the Green Tinted Goggles which was basically the only head slot item with stats at level 19, unless you went for an even harder item to collect which was the Lucky Fishing Hat.

Other than that you had items like Parachute Cloak which was nice to have. Gnomish Death Ray for insane damage spike, and all the dynamites that you could throw for extra damage.

Arathi Basin
User avatar
EU Ghostlands
162
brank
Horde
Shaman
Horde Shaman brank
162
7 months ago
Ironforge
Horde brank
82
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

I was wary of linking because I cannot remember if items have changed their stats or not throughout the time of the game, so I didn't want to provide wrong information except for the name x)

But I think I will learn to use this cool feature a lot more :cool:

Undercity
User avatar
EU Ragnaros
96
brank
Alliance
Alliance brank
96
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

This forum is amazing!

Image  Check out my Engineering Guide for WoW Vanilla / Classic 2018!
Ironforge
Horde brank
82
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Syturio wrote:
7 months ago
This forum is amazing!
It is indeed a very good looking forum, I was pleasantly surprised. I like having discussion about Classic—this thread being specifically about twinking. Do you have any experience about twinking? Not necessarily Classic only, but throughout Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King even?

Undercity
User avatar
EU Ragnaros
96
brank
Alliance
Alliance brank
96
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

I never twinked before, but i will make a lvl 19 rogue when Classic WoW comes out :) I heard they are great!

Image  Check out my Engineering Guide for WoW Vanilla / Classic 2018!
Ironforge
Horde brank
82
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Syturio wrote:
7 months ago
I never twinked before, but i will make a lvl 19 rogue when Classic WoW comes out :) I heard they are great!
Be wary of twinked priests, they are a pain too!

Arathi Basin
User avatar
EU Ghostlands
162
brank
Horde
Shaman
Horde Shaman brank
162
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Syturio wrote:
7 months ago
I never twinked before, but i will make a lvl 19 rogue when Classic WoW comes out :) I heard they are great!
I’ll def roll a twink rogue too to see what all the fuss is about :razz:

Ironforge
Horde brank
82
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

I will have to consider my main first before I make my first twink. I have always prefered level 29, 39 and 49 brackets.

I really got my eyes on Shaman for a twink, just because that is what I had in Vanilla at first, and later on a Rogue and a Warrior. So I have to decide between those three, but at the moment Shaman is having my attention the most.

Teldrassil
Horde Hunter brank
45
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Syturio wrote:
7 months ago
This forum is amazing!
No Syturio, YOU are amazing :mrgreen:
what a time to be alive

Ironforge
Horde brank
82
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Ravenheart wrote:
7 months ago
No Syturio, YOU are amazing :mrgreen:
what a time to be alive
Hey, we cannot simply tell people they are amazing until proven otherwise! This is Classic, work for your reputation :lol:

   Iced_Plasma
Stonetalon Mountains
User avatar
EU Blade's Edge
18
brank
Alliance
Alliance brank
18
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

I’ve heard that in 1v1 frost mages were great but only if played well managing cooldwns and poly at right time etc. They seem bollocks in live now

Ironforge
Horde brank
82
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Tol0th wrote:
7 months ago
I’ve heard that in 1v1 frost mages were great but only if played well managing cooldwns and poly at right time etc. They seem bollocks in live now
Frost mages were pretty good the higher level they were because they could play around a lot using spell ranks, mainly rank 1.

Frostbolt rank 1 for the cast time and slow alone, as well as Blizzard rank 1 for the AoE they could force Rogues out of stealth. Same with Cone of Cold and Frost Nova. They had a lot of use in one on one scenarios.

Orgrimmar
User avatar
US Hyjal
16
brank
Horde
Horde brank
16
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Firelord wrote:
7 months ago
Quillboar wrote:
7 months ago
Do you think people overestimate rogues OPness in vanilla? On a lot of forums the classic haters are always using this as an excuse for why it won’t work etc. People seem to think they are invincible but surely there were good counter strats?
Yes, and no. Rogues were in fact very strong, but this was seen more at the highest levels of play, so level 60. At lower levels, classes didn't have access to all of their kit so certain 'deadly combos' didn't exist. However, rogues were still a pain to deal with if they were the ones initiating the fight. But a lot of other classes had tools in their hands to deal with rogues. Rogues were still a bit squishy, that's why majority of them stacked up on health potions and relied on the well infamous Gouge + bandage combo, as well as the escaping with Vanish when it was not going their way. This could of course be countered with DoTs, which almost every class had access to.

Warriors were always a direct counter to Rogues, because of Overpower; using Evasion against a Warrior spelled out a certain death, because it gave Warrior access to Overpower spam, which was far too dangerous for a Rogue to deal with. Warriors countered Vanish with Rend, and countered the Rogue's Crippling Poison with their own Hamstring.

I could give many more examples, like the sudden and unpredictable spike of Windfury the Shaman had access to, as well as a Flame Shock dot and totems such as Poison Cleansing Totem.

Hunters had Flare, giving them the chance to get the Rogue out of their Stealth first.

Priests had annoying DoTs as well as Power Word: Shield to protect them from most of the damage, as well as their own HoTs to minimize the damage taken from the Rogue even more.

There's a reason why Rogues were given Cloak of Shadows in The Burning Crusade expansion.

Quillboar wrote:
7 months ago
Yeah there’s so many engineer items that are not usable in BGs now and I think that’s a shame. Also some twink items required engineering if I’m not mistaken?
One that comes to mind are the Green Tinted Goggles which was basically the only head slot item with stats at level 19, unless you went for an even harder item to collect which was the Lucky Fishing Hat.

Other than that you had items like Parachute Cloak which was nice to have. Gnomish Death Ray for insane damage spike, and all the dynamites that you could throw for extra damage.
Thank you FL for this great bit of first hand experience, it’s refreshing to see rogues portrayed in a different light. I will link this post to rogue moaners in the future

Ironforge
Horde brank
82
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Quillboar wrote:
7 months ago
Thank you FL for this great bit of first hand experience, it’s refreshing to see rogues portrayed in a different light. I will link this post to rogue moaners in the future
Most welcome!

Rogues were very strong, but that didn't mean that they couldn't be countered. Other classes were strong too, rogues were just annoying because they pretty much had a free initiate card, they could carefully pick out their targets as they wanted.

This is why I enjoyed twinking at the different low levels, all from 19, 29, 39 and 49 (though my favourite brackets were 39 and 49) because classes were balanced against each other in many ways, yet didn't have access to that high-end damage.

The people who won their one on one were the ones who played smart, and dared to use health potions, bandages and all their engineer tools. Every twink did this.

My personal opinion? Priest and Hunter are the strongest ones in level 19 bracket, followed by Paladin. 29 bracket is where Rogue starts to shine even more, but other classes got a lot more tools to work with so rogues can be dealt with if you are playing smart.

39 I cannot remember that much to be honest, silly enough. But I can say that Shaman was really fun here, despite what people try to say that Windfury was not deadly—it was. Yes, the downside was the wait for it to proc, but when it did, it was a huge surprise and shock of damage that more or less made your opponent trying to run away, but they cannot because of either Earthbind Totem or Frost Shock.

Level 49 rogues are pretty strong still, but Warrior is around as well being a pain train.

Every other class I didn't mention are strong too, but I wanted to just give some smaller examples.

   Iced_Plasma
Duskwood
Alliance brank
11
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

The fun thing about Rogues in Vanilla is that despite that one insanely annoying player that keeps rolling you over and over, not all Rogues were capable of playing the class to the level required for PvP dominance. It has a relatively high skill cap to play properly and dedicating yourself to PvP means taking engineering and honing your skills. Even though some Rogues completely dominate that's only if they mastered a relatively complex class and spent the time to create a finely honed weapon that took precision and experience. A bad rogue is hilariously useless in PvP. A good rogue is the stuff of nightmares.

Ironforge
Horde brank
82
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Jynirax wrote:
7 months ago
The fun thing about Rogues in Vanilla is that despite that one insanely annoying player that keeps rolling you over and over, not all Rogues were capable of playing the class to the level required for PvP dominance. It has a relatively high skill cap to play properly and dedicating yourself to PvP means taking engineering and honing your skills. Even though some Rogues completely dominate that's only if they mastered a relatively complex class and spent the time to create a finely honed weapon that took precision and experience. A bad rogue is hilariously useless in PvP. A good rogue is the stuff of nightmares.
I do not doubt that player skills in MMO gaming has increased, so we will see many deadly rogue, moreso than they were during actual Classic. However, this is equally true for every other class as well. We are going to see ‘sick’ plays from every class in Classic I believe.

Elwynn Forest
Alliance brank
12
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Firelord wrote:
7 months ago
Be wary of twinked priests, they are a pain too!
Human holy priest with engineering for a little more burst was my go to :twisted: Jump in circles casting renew and fear in group fights you basically can't die, good times. Next to impossible to solo kill with but fun none the less!

Image Image
Ironforge
Horde brank
82
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Candletaker wrote:
7 months ago
Firelord wrote:
7 months ago
Be wary of twinked priests, they are a pain too!
Human holy priest with engineering for a little more burst was my go to :twisted: Jump in circles casting renew and fear in group fights you basically can't die, good times. Next to impossible to solo kill with but fun none the less!
The damage was surprising still, though! You could outsmart people, DoT them up and wand.

What you also could do, at least at level 19, believe it or not, was to give yourself some agility enchants. Your staff-auto attacks could damage for more than what people would expect from a priest.

Similar topics
to 'Vanilla twinking and class balance'
Posts ViewsLast post