No Option to Play On TBC Servers After WotLK Classic Launches

no option to play on tbc servers after wotlk classic launches featured image

Amidst the torrent of WotLK related news and the ensuing hype, a lot of the smaller details regarding the actual transition from TBC to WotLK flew under the radar. It turns out that might have been for the best, as it turns out there are some less-than-great news in store for us, that Blizzard perhaps didn’t want to be the main focus of the discussion here.

World of Warcraft Classic head Brian Birmingham and production director Patrick Dawson sat down for an interview with IGN, the topic of course being Wrath of the Lich King and the future of Classic WoW. While most of the things discussed we already knew or could safely assume, there was one piece of information that we had not heard before that certainly caught our attention — this time there will not be “TBC Era” servers where we get to play our TBC characters perpetually if we so desire, our characters will be forcefully migrated to the Wrath of the Lich King expansion.

We are not gonna let people stay in Burning Crusade who want to this time. We really didn’t have a lot of uptick in interest in that — and we are going to make sure that we continue to preserve the original Classic version of the game. We know that some people really did want just that version, and so that version is going to continue to exist. But as we continue, the Burning Crusade version will just transition into the Wrath of the Lich King version, and there will not be another choice or clone service offered as we did with the original Burning Crusade release.

They went on to specify that something akin to Season of Mastery, wherein the leveling pace is increased and the content is tuned to give a more challenging experience, may be considered in the future, for players who want to revisit TBC eventually. Blizzard is keeping an eye out for interest in that.

Needless to say that players who prefer TBC over other expansions definitely are not happy over this decision. Blizzard’s rationale is understandable, as the Classic Era servers are pretty much dead at this point, but many would point to their decision to attach a harsh fee to the clone service as a major factor of that. Without any official plans for a Season of Mastery type feature for TBC servers, players who want to play TBC will once again be forced to turn to private servers, as after Wrath of the Lich King Classic launches there will be no way to play The Burning Crusade at all anymore.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Are you okay with Blizzard’s decision to stop offering a way to play The Burning Crusade after WotLK Classic launches, or did you hope you could do so like it was the case with Classic? Does this change how you feel about WotLK Classic at all? Let us know in the comments below!

About the Author

Pride

Classic WoW is my jam, with a passion for PvP. Most know me as Baranor, the ret paladin guy, but I'm secretly a druid main, don't tell anyone. In my free time I play Switch games, particularly JRPGs. Some day I'll be making my own games and I humbly hope you play those too!

Subscribe
Notify of

21 Comments
Most Voted
Newest Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
xxDrain
xxDrain
1 year ago

I don’t want vanilla, I don’t want WotLK, I want TBC and TBC only. What about me and those like me? Back to private servers I guess.

ret btw
ret btw
1 year ago

I’m honestly pretty pissed about this.

Sandor
Sandor
1 year ago

I’m pretty sure the two most popular expansions are TBC and WotLK. I think it is a bad idea to not let people to play on these servers. If they will just re-release everything, what is the point of doing it?
Leave a realm or two on each era so the people who wants to stay can.

[Name Removed by Mods]
[Name Removed by Mods]
1 year ago

Nothing reasonable about it, just another con/fleece job by moronic devs and higher ups at blizzard. They have intentionally fumbled evey aspect of classic in spite.

WehrMaster
WehrMaster
1 year ago

My original intent was to split my TBC account so that if WotLK turns out to be a turkey, which I’m afraid it might (I saw it as the beginning of the end last time), I always would have the option to go back to TBC. Now my only option is to play WotLK and, if I don’t like it, stop my subscription entirely. I see that Blizzard is only shooting themselves in the foot.

pcake
pcake
Reply to  WehrMaster
1 year ago

WotLK is the best expansion, so I don’t think it will be a turkey. Anecdotally, I personally know players who did not play Classic or TBCC, but have already stated their intent to come back for WotLK classic.

Just found this shit out
Just found this shit out
1 year ago

Bullshit. Maybe the first time im thinking about canceling my subscription since 2006-7.
Would really love to stay and play TBC, give it a chance.. If it dies, it dies

Robby D
Robby D
1 year ago

These people make so much money off the players and they still won’t give them what they want. I personally want a classic server, tbc server and wotlk server because those are my three favorites. Really not happy that they’re just going to get rid of tbc. I would rather keep tbc over classic anyday but like everything else in this world nothing can ever be perfect or left alone… I really hope they change their minds on this cause honestly I might stop playing again. I just came back to enjoy tbc and now it’s going to be ripped away from me again thanks blizzard…!

Miffy
Miffy
1 year ago

I would have liked to split my TBC account too, with a couple of my favourite characters in TBC perpetually. Being in Oceania, I wouldn’t even object if I was transferred to the US for this with pings in the 200’s, as opposed to the single digits I get now (200’s was fairly common back in the day anyway). As it is I stopped playing shortly after WotLK was launched the first time around, but am in good guilds now so will probably continue on with those same people

Rasmus
Rasmus(@rasmus)
1 year ago

I also wanna play just tbc for now! TBC for The win!

battlefate
battlefate
1 year ago

Please, let the TBC server live and leave an opportunity that we can transfer or clone characters. At least one Vanilla and one TBC server, is that so hard for a global company? Respect the old ways 🙂

Punny
Punny
1 year ago

Actually this makes sense. Because those Classic Only Servers are dead. From time to time i hop on it just to see what is going on right now. But i have never seen more than like 5 People online at the same Time. And on the Auction House there are like 10 Auctions up.
The best they could do in the Future is just to make 1 Big Server for everyone. This would at least be somewhat active. Also there will probably a SoM TBC.

tim
tim
Reply to  Punny
1 year ago

“just to make 1 Big Server for everyone” That would work…it’s what private servers are.

pcake
pcake
Reply to  Punny
1 year ago

Season of Mastery and/or regular fresh servers is probably the way to go. No one wants to play on an eternal classic server.

Punny
Punny
Reply to  pcake
1 year ago

Well some probably want to play on an Only Classic Server. That is why we have/had Classic in the first place. But with TBC most went that way which led some kinda stranded on the Classic Servers. And suddenly there where just to many Servers with only a few People each still playing. But without anyone to play with even more left or went to play TBC. If they had takes everyone who chose to play Classic and put them on one single Server then they would probably still play it.

Horde-Feral
Horde-Feral(@horde-feral)
Reply to  Punny
1 year ago

Hello, no!! Don’t make TBC servers fail at all. With this, Blizzard loses most of its players

Cayleen
Cayleen
1 year ago

Is that mean when i’ve do cap(level70) at tbc. when the wotlk release, i still can use that character and transferred automatically? or……?

ranoff
ranoff
1 year ago

This is probably not the place to ask this but what do live gamers think private servers?

Isus
Isus
1 year ago

Is that true by now we should know. Is it confirmed in a blue post?

Frink
Frink
1 year ago

Daaaaang, blizz be crappin on the bcc peeps. Not suprised since they don’t care about yalls opinion.

Frink
Frink
1 year ago

I mean how stupid do you have to be? it is literally open up a classic server the way it was, fix what bugs there might be and sit back and let the players enjoy the game.

Blizzard: hmmm, we don’t know wtf we’re doing soooo…JUST GO ALONG WITH IT! …plebs

Scroll to Top