Changes to Cost of PvP Gear in TBC Classic Season 3

changes to cost of pvp gear in tbc classic season 3 featured image
  • Author: Pride
  • Date: January 28, 2022
  • Updated: January 28, 2022
  • Expansion: TBC Classic

Following the brief period of time when the cost of PvP gear was incorrect on the PTR, a lot of players expressed a similar sentiment: PvP gear costs are far too prohibitive, and the game would be better off with some changes in that department.

WoW Community Council member Zualesa made a post on the topic on the relevant forum 2 weeks ago, to no response from Blizzard. Alas, Aggrend has finally come, bearing good news: after consideration, Blizzard will be making a host of very generous changes to the cost and general acquisition of PvP gear!

In specific, these changes will be:

• PvP faction items now have an Honored reputation requirement (from Revered).
  • The battleground mark costs for Season 1 gear have been removed.
  • The battleground mark costs on Vindicator items have been reduced by half.
  • The amount of bonus honor rewarded from the marks-to-honor repeatable quest has been increased.
  • The Call to Arms daily quest now provides 3 battleground marks and the bonus honor reward has been increased.
  • The Halaa and Terokkar PvP daily’s bonus honor reward has been significantly increased.
  • The Hellfire Fortification PvP daily now provides a bonus honor reward.
  • Tier 4 and 5 tokens can now be exchanged for season 1 and 2 gear at tier vendors.

PvP players are no doubt very happy with these changes, particularly the highlighted ones, which are expected to make a very big impact in the quality of life department of gearing in PvP, particularly for newer players, players with multiple alts or those who didn’t have to participate in the long grind to get all of the necessary gear.

Along with the various PvP-related changes that have been announced for season 3, it’s become clear that Blizzard is taking an active interest in improving the PvP aspect of the game this is around — certainly a very welcome shift in perspective from the Blizzard of yore, which was perceived as indifferent to the PvP side of the game. Here is hoping that they continue on this path!

What are your thoughts on these changes? Are you going to do more PvP now that it’s become easier to get PvP gear? Or do you feel that PvP gear is still prohibitively expensive? Let us know in the comments below!

Aggrend – (Source)

Hi Zuelase,

Thank you for the feedback! This is a topic that we have been closely following along and discussing internally. For some transparency, we want to be extra careful when adjusting significant systems such as rewards in Burning Crusade Classic. We strive for authentic recreations as the best approach with our design as substituting our own judgements has great potential to harm the spirit of the original game. For example, we risk negatively impacting the perceived value of these items or affecting other areas of the game by changing the rate of power progression.

That said, we hear your frustrations with the current rate of PvP reward acquisition and think there are ample reasons to justify a #change. When we compare PvE and its rewards, there’s a stark contrast with the level of effort and time investment required. Players are better now, all the best raid strategies have been figured out, and those rewards are much more accessible!

We attempted to address this in Season 2 by introducing PvP faction items early (a change introduced with Sunwell’s release) and reducing the costs of previous season gear by half, but we don’t think those changes were nearly enough.

The following changes are planned to release with tomorrow’s Phase 3 content unlock:

• PvP faction items now have an Honored reputation requirement (from Revered).
  • The battleground mark costs for Season 1 gear have been removed.
  • The battleground mark costs on Vindicator items have been reduced by half.
  • The amount of bonus honor rewarded from the marks-to-honor repeatable quest has been increased.
  • The Call to Arms daily quest now provides 3 battleground marks and the bonus honor reward has been increased.
  • The Halaa and Terokkar PvP daily’s bonus honor reward has been significantly increased.
  • The Hellfire Fortification PvP daily now provides a bonus honor reward.
  • Tier 4 and 5 tokens can now be exchanged for season 1 and 2 gear at tier vendors.

We hope that this will make a significant impact. Please continue to tell us how you feel about this, we’ll be listening!

About the Author

Pride

Classic WoW is my jam, with a passion for PvP. Most know me as Baranor, the ret paladin guy, but I'm secretly a druid main, don't tell anyone. In my free time I play Switch games, particularly JRPGs. Some day I'll be making my own games and I humbly hope you play those too!

Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Scroll to Top