Blizzard Explains Why Phase 3 Content Is Nerfed in TBC Classic

blizzard explains why phase 3 content is nerfed in tbc classic featured image
  • Author: Pride
  • Date: January 7, 2022
  • Updated: January 7, 2022
  • Expansion: TBC Classic

There has been a lot of buzz on the topic of the tier 6 raids in phase 3 every since players discovered that we are getting the nerfed versions of that content right away. Players had become used to take on the pre-nerfed versions of content at first, and then have it nerfed shortly before the next phase’s content is released, giving everyone a chance to clear it in time. Thus the fact that Blizzard deviated from this fan-loved formula generated a lot of controversy.

It took a post from hunter player and WoW Community Council member Sixxfury on Blizzard’s WoW Community Council forum to finally get a concrete and detailed response from Blizzard on this topic.

Simply put, Aggrend says that the developers did a thorough investigation of patch data between patches 2.1 (the original launch of the Black Temple raid) and 2.4.3 (the final patch of TBC) and did not discover substantial enough changes to warrant an interesting “pre-nerf” difficulty version of these raids.

He goes on to add that out of the multiple changes that did happen, most were bug fixes, and the few instances of mechanical changes, like to the Mother Shahraz and Archimonde fights, were fairly minor. Tier 4 and tier 5 content meanwhile saw significantly more substantial changes between patches 2.0 and 2.1, which is why they decided to do separate pre-nerf and post-nerf versions for those raids.

blizzard explains why phase 3 content is nerfed in tbc classic sunwell
The entrance to the Sunwell Plateau raid of The Burning Crusade.

He finally reaffirmed that the Sunwell Plateau raid of phase 5 – commonly lauded as the best and most difficult raid of The Burning Crusade – will have pre-nerf and post-nerf states just like previous raids did, as there were significant changes made to it over time.

However, most of the changes made to Sunwell Plateau came with the 3.0.2 patch, which was the Wrath of the Lich King “pre-patch”, wherein players had access to WotLK spells & talents and the content was changed to give everyone a chance to clear it before it was made obsolete following the release of the new expansion.

So whether Blizzard considers those changes part of the “post-nerf” version of Sunwell Plateau is a very interesting question. Every single raid was nerfed during that patch, meaning there might be second “post-nerf” version for other raids. Or will the post-nerf version of Sunwell Plateau coincide with the Wrath of the Lich King Classic pre-patch? Only time will tell.

What are your thoughts? Are you satisfied with Blizzard’s explanation for why phase 3 content is coming in its nerfed state to begin with, or would you have preferred that they nerf it later, even if the nerfs aren’t as major as to previous raids? Let us know in the comments below!

Aggrend – (Source)

Pretty straightforward answer; there just wasn’t a lot of sweeping changes to Tier 6 content after it was released. We did a pretty thorough investigation of the data of each patch between 2.1 and 2.4.3, as well as looked at public patch notes and just came to the conclusion that there wasn’t enough of substance for an interesting pre-nerf difficulty.

Most “changes” were essentially bug fixes, with only Mother Shahraz and Archimonde seeing anything resembling a real mechanical change, and even they were actually fairly minor. Contrast that with Tier 4 and Tier 5 that had some major (and highly visible/memorable) mechanical changes happen between patch 2.0 and 2.1 and it just made a lot of sense to really dig in and go big with pre and post-nerf for those tiers.

Sunwell Plateau will have a pre and post-nerf state however, as there were more significant changes there.

About the Author

Pride

Classic WoW is my jam, with a passion for PvP. Most know me as Baranor, the ret paladin guy, but I'm secretly a druid main, don't tell anyone. In my free time I play Switch games, particularly JRPGs. Some day I'll be making my own games and I humbly hope you play those too!

Subscribe
Notify of

1 Comment
Most Voted
Newest Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Morgunn
Morgunn
2 years ago

Phase 3 RaidContent ist way To Easy.

Scroll to Top