donator Posts: 80
Horde
Warrior

For a long time I've gone with variations of my username
Hogbobson <- Main
Hoglockson <- Warlock alt
Hogbankson <- Bank alt
etc.
But I do also like proper fantasy names, and I might go back to that model for classic, for immersion's sake. My first warrior's name was Regg, and that stuck with me for a long time. I was also ecstatic when I met the druid who bore the name Reg - we definitely did not fight to the death. :D

A couple year's ago on a TBC server I had a tauren Warrior named Cortept. Anagram for protect. I was quite proud of that one - it's a plausible sounding name that also satisfies my closet linguist. <3

Alnir Rinkusan
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1323
Orc
Warrior

My mate somehow nabbed the name ‘Criminal’ for his rogue. Thought that was pretty badass.

Regg is a fitting name for a warrior too I don’t know why but it fits :smile:

Warrior Protection
donator Posts: 80
Horde
Warrior

I was also rather saddened when I changed server and had to go with Régg - a curse upon you, level 23 dwarf who had not been played for four years!

Deleted User 281
donator Posts:
Deleted User 281

90% of the time I choose a lore-ish name that suits both my class and race; over time I have opted for making them easy to pronounce and remember for the sake of TS communication etc.

For the upcoming retail Vanilla servers I am probably going to go with something slightly out-of-place, such as "papapriest" or "wildshot" (for a hunter), or "tinyblast" (for gnome mage). bc why not ;P

Alnir
Thunder Bluff
donator Posts: 68
Tauren
Druid

I try to only choose lore-friendly names in case I decide I want to RP with that character, as it makes me more credible. Although I don't know how much of an RP following Classic will bring, I'll still be following my own rule on the off chance there is some RP.

I still attempt to make sure that the name I choose is pronounceable though since people need some way of calling me out without sounding like they're speaking gibberish.

Alnir
Nala - Feral Druid - Grobbulus
"May the eternal sun shine upon thee"
Paladin Protection
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 98
Human
Priest

Faendor wrote:
1 year ago
I belong to the first one. I cannot play as a character without proper name and looks. My character creation usually takes me about 20 min. I like making generic names that suit the races. Although this time when Classic comes out I'm probably gonna stick with my signature name Faendor.
If I'm to make a:
Night Elf - Faendor
Dwarf - Faendur

I also cannot play as a female characters as I need to identify with the character.
I couldn’t have put it better myself. This is my own naming strategy to the letter! I tend to take the RP aspect of the game very seriously in this regard. It just allows me, as Faendor said, to identity better with my character.

Paladin Protection
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 98
Human
Priest

SweaterMonster wrote:
8 months ago
I still attempt to make sure that the name I choose is pronounceable though since people need some way of calling me out without sounding like they're speaking gibberish.
Hahah this is also a very good point. :lol:

donator Posts: 2
Horde
Warlock

I'll go with my mages name from vanilla, the one I have here.

I know I know it's very unique and amazing /s

teebling
Priest Holy
donator Posts: 106
Alliance
Priest

I select names based on the fantasy setting and race that I'm playing. I generally make it immersive on that basis, so class isn't as much of a factor when deciding, though I take it into account.

I haven't decided on a name yet, so I'm hoping for late inspiration close to launch.

I don't know how people play characters like xXLegolasXx, especially past about level 5. I couldn't handle it. :lol:

Human Priest
<Pertento> [EU-PvP]

Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 433
Alliance
Priest

One of my guildies had funny choice of names. He had both Night Elf Warrior and Priest and called them Elfofmight and Elfoflight. Kinda liked it.

Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Eastern Plaguelands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 9
Alliance
Mage

I belong to #2.

My IGN is a reference to a russian music group who are men.

Well, in my case Kasta with a soft spoken s sounds like a daintily beautiful woman.

That's why all my female characters has Kasta, Kastaqt, Kastalynn etc in their names.

Funny story, I don't even have a name for male characters. I got some in the past, but they were just called Shu which is a reference to my former competitive IGN. Those days where IRC was a thing. :)

Lucifron PVP / Alliance <avid>
Priest Holy
donator Posts: 106
Alliance
Priest

Oh man, do I need to install mIRC for the nostalgia whilst levelling? :eek:

teebling
Human Priest
<Pertento> [EU-PvP]

Eastern Plaguelands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 9
Alliance
Mage

William wrote:
8 months ago
Oh man, do I need to install mIRC for the nostalgia whilst levelling? :eek:
^

Lucifron PVP / Alliance <avid>
Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 64
Troll
Priest

Well assuming I lose the race for securing "Leeroy", it's going to default to Wu Tang inspired MC names like "Whispering Grasshopper" or "Silent Bookworm" :lol: Gotta worry about character limit next though...

MasterDupes
"Ya got my attention."

ImageImage
Warlock Demonology
donator Posts: 4
Alliance
Warlock

For me, I try my best to stick to one syllable names. I do this because it's much easier for guildies/other players to say in chat, or in a discord voice channel.

My main will be named "Dupes," as this is a nickname I've had for a long time and therefore what I'd like to identify as!

As for other alts, I'll take the same one-syllable philosophy to help out other players, as well as myself when talking about my characters to IRL friends.

For the Burning Legion!

Warlock Demonology
donator Posts: 4
Alliance
Warlock

Razor wrote:
1 year ago
res wrote:
1 year ago
Anything that doesn't break the fourth wall too much is fine by me.
An example for a rogue with bad imagination listed from best to worst:
  • Stabron
  • Stab
  • Stabby
  • Istabyou
  • noobgotstabbed

I guess after "Stabby" is my cut-off point for names that are just "too much"
This list actually goes along the categories of naming a character :smile: The last one is pretty funny though.

I feel that such name as "Noobgotstabbed" would make me somewhat overly-aggressive in the game, comparing with "Stabron" which sounds kind of noble and not pulling into brainless gankfest (corpse camping included).
Lol "brainless." Salty about all the undead rogues I see.

For the Burning Legion!

Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 93
Horde
Mage

MasterDupes wrote:
8 months ago
Razor wrote:
1 year ago
res wrote:
1 year ago
Anything that doesn't break the fourth wall too much is fine by me.
An example for a rogue with bad imagination listed from best to worst:
  • Stabron
  • Stab
  • Stabby
  • Istabyou
  • noobgotstabbed

I guess after "Stabby" is my cut-off point for names that are just "too much"
This list actually goes along the categories of naming a character :smile: The last one is pretty funny though.

I feel that such name as "Noobgotstabbed" would make me somewhat overly-aggressive in the game, comparing with "Stabron" which sounds kind of noble and not pulling into brainless gankfest (corpse camping included).
Lol "brainless." Salty about all the undead rogues I see.
As it happens to be, my last main was a rogue. So much joy! :biggrin: But yeah, sometimes this corpse camping thing makes you think if the guy on the other side has something placed in between his ears.

I am now actually considering picking a name in my native language - some people really tend to do that. Kind of like this idea, as you can pick pretty much whatever you feel like. In addition, I usually whisper something to the random people not from my guild who are obviously my countrymen and it turns out to be a nice chit-chat.

What do you think about this guys?

- anno 2005.
Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
Alliance
Priest

@Razor I actually really like lithuanian names, would be cool.

Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 93
Horde
Mage

Faendor wrote:
8 months ago
@Razor I actually really like lithuanian names, would be cool.
I was wondering on the general topic of names in native language - do you guys do that? Why?

Thanks though, Faendor! :smile:

- anno 2005.
Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
Alliance
Priest

I personally have never done that but I know many people who do, but the reason why is still a mystery to me.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1323
Orc
Warrior

People always get my name wrong for some reason on voice chat. I have no idea why.

I often get called ‘trebling’, ‘tabling’ or ‘tabbing’. Why is it so hard? Tee-bling.

donator Posts: 33
Alliance
Paladin

I've always been Light. I hope to spam the character creation screen again and get the same name for my Paladin.

I have a gnome female mage (with pigtails!) named Happiness, and a Human Rogue named Stab.

Undercity
donator Posts: 6
Horde
Priest

In the first instance I'd like my own name - James!

Failing that a derivative of my name, like Jim or Jimbo.

Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 196
Undead
Mage

I would tell you but then you all would steal them! I used my favorite songs on many toons.

Our time will come.
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 176
Undead
Priest

I'm part of group 3. I chose Dolamite, an old school R-Rated comedian.

<Extreme>
Council Chairman
US-Horde
Blaumeux