View results
Poll  •  What realm type will you be joining first?
Mage Frost
User avatar
donator Posts: 12
Likes: 14
Horde
Mage

Sanniey wrote:
9 months ago
Don't know if there's another thread for this, but would you guys want to play on a server where a popular streamer plays on too?

I can imagine the server will be more populated because of people wanting to play with said streamer. So finding groups might be easier on these servers. But I can also imagine people want to avoid these servers and the fanbase.

Also, can you even control this on releaseday? Like how am I gonna know which realms will be populated and which won't?
I'll try to actively avoid rolling on a server where a popular streamer plays on, servers where a crowd is drawn to because of a player or guild can end up being pretty toxic. That's been my experience when I rolled on Tarren Mill EU at least, which is where Preach plays, and the home of top guilds like Method, and before them Ensidia. I still regret server transferring to it many years ago, and it's difficult to get off of it now since I have like 8 max level characters on it.

I honestly think you'll be fine even if your server ends up being mid pop, high pop servers do make things slightly easier, and we all like to see the world being as alive and active as possible, but they're not always fun and games either, you do lose a bit of that tightly knit community feeling with them.

   Sanniey
Rogue Subtlety
User avatar
donator Posts: 17
Likes: 14
Horde
Rogue

Im not pve pussy, i will select PvP Realm

:ugeek: Think of a number between 1 and 10 :confused: . Multiply it by 9 and subtract 1 :smile: . Now close your eyes :mad: . It's dark isn't it? :cool:
Tirisfal Glades
User avatar
donator Posts: 223
Likes: 124
Undead
Rogue

I think PVP just maximizes the experience. Looking forward to the Stranglethorn Vale battles that await.

Paladin Protection
User avatar
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 98
Likes: 77
Human
Priest

Sanniey wrote:
9 months ago
Don't know if there's another thread for this, but would you guys want to play on a server where a popular streamer plays on too?
At first I considered the idea of playing on a streamer's server (thinking it would guarantee liveliness) but after coming across this video, I think my answer is going to be no. I don't remember streamers being a part of my vanilla experience, and therefore, I think I'll be quite happy without that chaos in Classic. If you want a few things to consider, check out the video I'm talking about below. :eek:

Elwynn Forest
User avatar
donator Posts: 51
Likes: 28
Horde
Hunter

wows a pvp game.

fite me

Winterspring
User avatar
donator Posts: 274
Likes: 208
Horde

PvP. Thats the whole experience for me. :)

Felwood
User avatar
donator Posts: 5
Likes: 6
Horde
Priest

Sanniey wrote:
9 months ago
Don't know if there's another thread for this, but would you guys want to play on a server where a popular streamer plays on too?
Yes, and no. Certain streamer communities are extra toxic and it might cause some pain for most people, but the increased population is a good trade-off.

Mulgore
User avatar
donator Posts: 96
Likes: 58
Tauren
Druid

I've really been struggling to make a decision on this.
Been playing on rppvp servers since they came out, and indeed the pve there is a little slower than on pvp servers. Slightly fewer serious raiding guilds and serious raiders. My server was always reasonably quiet. Never felt like a problem in vanilla (moreso later), but I could definitely imagine the population thinning out over time.
I don't mind a server that's a little quiet, but I do want to raid all the way to Naxx eventually and I do want to enjoy SOME amount of pvp, so I am worried about what to do..
I would hate to roll on a server and invest lots of time and energy into my char and guild only for the server to become a ghost town. But I imagine everyone's thinking the same!
I do want to avoid the big streamers though. I'm not really a fan of all that stuff.

Making a EU Horde day-raiding guild in Classic! PM if interested or have a look at our forum http://mbh.epizy.com or discord https://discord.gg/7AKguup :)
Druid Balance
User avatar
donator Posts: 111
Likes: 86
Troll
Hunter

I think you can't go wrong with PvP realm. Some ganking might be annoying from time to time but it's those little skirmishes that you remember the most.

I'm more concerned about other factors. During Vanilla there were some odd realms: with dominating population from one country (and refusal to speak English), with one side having dominating population and other various quirks. Some realms never grown up and stayed with low population. So I'm just hopeful I don't pick and dedicate time to some crazy realm.

Currently playing Kegtek, troll hunter on Ten Storms EU
I used to play Warn, human mage on The Maelstrom EU <Ashbringer | Rachell's Angels | Entrophy | Relentless>
Druid Balance
User avatar
donator Posts: 111
Likes: 86
Troll
Hunter

Stoepsel wrote:
7 months ago
Yeah, I know what you mean. I haven't played early wow on retail so I wonder if there were such crazy faction imbalances early on like there are now or if those horde and alliance realms developed over time. My main is on Eredar EU which is a horde realm but I always hear that in the early days it was alliance dominated. Something like realmpop.com with old data would be really nice.
I don't have solid evidence, but I'm almost certain there were a couple EU realms with high one faction pop (like 80:20 split). I don't think there were more than two or three. Blizzard tried to fix it with server migrations but still..

EDIT: This is what I found in Wayback Machine. I can't vouch for its credibility: https://web.archive.org/web/20050616013 ... mstats.php

Currently playing Kegtek, troll hunter on Ten Storms EU
I used to play Warn, human mage on The Maelstrom EU <Ashbringer | Rachell's Angels | Entrophy | Relentless>
Mulgore
User avatar
donator Posts: 184
Likes: 136
Tauren

Nostra wrote:
11 months ago
*STVietnam flashbacks*
Wow, all these years and that's the first time I've heard that. It's perfect, lol.

I have nothing fancy to add here, but if you've never played Binary Domain, you should.
Paladin Protection
User avatar
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 162
Likes: 134
Human
Paladin

Im all for RP-PvP. I used to roll exclusively on RP servers on retail before I started playing on private servers and broke out of my casual shell. But going back to that type of community and still enjoy the aspects of PvP will make me feel right at home. But with that im avoiding streamer servers like the plague. Anywhere those big name streamers go im gone. I feel bad for anyone that plays on those servers.

Teldrassil
User avatar
donator Posts: 62
Likes: 62
Horde
Hunter

Stoepsel wrote:
7 months ago
Something like realmpop.com with old data would be really nice.
@teebling you gna have stats like this on the site? Blizz API isn't hard

Ashenvale
User avatar
donator Posts: 12
Likes: 1
Alliance
Warrior

I feel like on a PvE server you really don't get the full experience of the game. I've always felt more immersed on a PvP server knowing that the opposite faction is out in the world and dangerous.

Paladin Protection
User avatar
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 162
Likes: 134
Human
Paladin

To each their own. I know a lot of people who are going PvE for that very reason and its simply because they do not enjoy PvP or engage in it whatsoever. Ganking makes vanilla vanilla but it doesn't make it any less childish and to some people they'd rather just relax and not worry about anything.

Rogue Combat
User avatar
US Westfall
donator Posts: 211
Likes: 144
Orc
Rogue

If they change their minds and open a RPPvP server day one, I will 100% roll there. Otherwise, it will have to be a PvP server for me.

I played Vanilla WoW on a PvE server and had a blast. However, I switched factions and to a PvP server in TBC and never looked back. While I don't necessarily look forward to getting ganked by higher level characters, I do enjoy the aspect of being able to challenge my rivals in the open world at similar levels.

Desolace
User avatar
donator Posts: 49
Likes: 20
Horde
Warlock

I feel bad for the 11%

Back after all this time.
Thunder Bluff
User avatar
donator Posts: 25
Likes: 14
Horde
Hunter

Nymis wrote:
11 months ago
Not only that, but they also tend to be the equivalent of SJWs pansies in online games.
I don't RP, but I play on RP realms to avoid silly statements like these. Cause I just want to play the game and not bother with someone getting so fussy over nothing.

Warlock Destruction
User avatar
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 303
Likes: 343
Undead
Warlock

Windstone wrote:
7 months ago
I don't RP, but I play on RP realms to avoid silly statements like these. Cause I just want to play the game and not bother with someone getting so fussy over nothing.
Here's another quote I received today from someone who also, on a very unrelated note, told me he/she is playing on an RP realm:

Merode has it right with "cold logic", damn. I think raiding hours is a great metric, because it doesn't over-benefit people who happen to be better at analysis, although I take your point about tank hours. I think I understand your perspective now, but it kinda horrifies me. These aren't numbers, these are people - hopefully your friends, by the time you're raiding. You're going to clear it all anyway, why obsess about doing so slightly faster?

To the RP servers I go!


It's from this thread right here and it's funny that this actually happened today.

I mean, he/she is not only implying that being good at analyzing other people's performance and merit is something that "happens" instead of a skill you have to work on and develop, but also that it's a terrible thing that's only advantageous to some who aren't just looking at how many hours they're putting into raiding, but also at what people are actually doing during those hours of raiding - kind of like how your typical SJW will say that the only reason you're successful is cause you just "happened" to be born into a right race and family, and how it's unfair that some people should be paid less if they're working 8 hours a day just like everyone else regardless of the fact that they have no degrees, different responsibilities and so forth :lol:

I'm sorry, I wish I was wrong, but all of you are a self-fulfilling prophecy in my eyes, no one who's ever declared him/herself as an RP player has ever disappointed my expectations.

Deleted User 628
donator Posts:
Likes: 0
Deleted User 628

PvP
All-time sense of danger and thriving wPvP, especially during phase 2.
From my experience these servers - aside from decent folks - also attract all kinds of extreme oddballs, some of them seem to get their only ego boost by making other people's lifes miserable, not only those of the other faction, but also their own (infernals in AHs for example).
-> Servers for people who want the whole experience and are willing to put up with the negative as well, so better have a thick hide.

PvE
Less oddballs and generally a more mature population.
You will miss on the feeling of threat and wPvP - although, if you are someone who doesn't attack first, it's probably not a big loss.
Also, (organized) wPvP battles may still happen.
-> Servers for people who don't want other people's idea of "fun" being forced on them, but decide for themselves when to PvE or PvP (BGs).

RP-PvE
Great if you are into RP and find a dedicated community to RP with.
However, the majority of people will be atmosphere leechers, who are simply looking for a more mature population and maybe enjoy watching others roleplay.
-> Servers for people who want to roleplay and don't mind a silent (and often times not-so-silent) majority of atmosphere-leeching non-roleplayers.

RP-PvP
Same as RP-PvE, with the added opportunity for PvP roleplay, which can be great if you find like-minded opponents.
Downside: There will most likely be non-roleplayers who will actively try to ruin yours.
-> Servers for people who want to roleplay and don't mind people potentially ruining their RP events on top of most people being atmosphere leechers.

~

I'm still tempted to go in either direction - PvP for the sense of threat and RP for the roleplay.
I prefer a mature population and not let some sociopaths ruin my fun.
That's why I most likely will roll on a PvE server and join BGs if I feel like PvPing.
I can still do some casual RP (there always seem to be some folks up for it, even on "normal" servers).
I may also do some more thorough RP with an alt on a dedicated RP server at some point.

Thunder Bluff
User avatar
donator Posts: 25
Likes: 14
Horde
Hunter

Nymis wrote:
7 months ago
kind of like how your typical SJW will say that the only reason you're successful is cause you just "happened" to be born into a right race and family, and how it's unfair that some people should be paid less if they're working 8 hours a day just like everyone else regardless of the fact that they have no degrees, different responsibilities and so forth
Yea... see... this is a video game forum - no place to get fussy over benign RL things that for some reason get you riled up. Again, then exact reason I usually play on RP realms. Once someone starts trollin' or getting possessed by an Alex Jones level intensity rant, I can just say "This is an RP realm, why are you talking about RL stuff?". I just want to play the game. And I would hope this philosophy would apply to game forums also. There are plenty of general discussion and political forums on which you can express your opinions on RL matters.

Warlock Destruction
User avatar
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 303
Likes: 343
Undead
Warlock

Windstone wrote:
7 months ago
Yea... see... this is a video game forum - no place to get fussy over benign RL things that for some reason get you riled up. Again, then exact reason I usually play on RP realms. Once someone starts trollin' or getting possessed by an Alex Jones level intensity rant, I can just say "This is an RP realm, why are you talking about RL stuff?". I just want to play the game. And I would hope this philosophy would apply to game forums also. There are plenty of general discussion and political forums on which you can express your opinions on RL matters.
You called that comparison silly and I wanted to elaborate why it was well-deserved and not just random trolling, but alright, I fell you.

Rogue Subtlety
User avatar
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 281
Likes: 147
Night Elf
Hunter
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I would never dishonor my family by playing on a pve server, but I am tempted to go RPPVP just so I can stumble into people's events and stuff, it makes the game a lot more fun imo. I've never seriously played on a RP server though, and some of what I'm reading in this thread is making me a bit leery...

Telvaine - Night Elf Hunter
Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US
Felwood
User avatar
donator Posts: 185
Likes: 73
Gnome
Mage
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I know I want to play on a PVP server,
but I'm scared that faction balance is going to be drastically unfair to whichever faction I pick on it,
I've got no way of being able to tell which server has more Alliance or more Horde on it.

| Kazumi[33] - Frost Mage, Wetpaint[49] - Prot Warrior | Golemagg PVP|
Warrior Arms
User avatar
donator Posts: 19
Likes: 3
Horde
Warrior
4 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

If you decide to go PvP or PvE, basically you have a choice, pick the server with the 'coolest' name or the one with the most obscure name.

For example Ragnaros Vs Darkmoon Faire

That said you might want to dodge a server due to a high number of streamers or other pre built communities if you plan to try build your own community.

The first point might help if you want to be on a high or low population server. Low pop servers you might level fast but find that the AH remains expensive due to supply/demand.

Kurtizzle

"Dem <LUSTRUMGG> Raiders Be Chill Mon"
Similar topics
to 'Picking a realm early on'
Posts ViewsLast post