EU Dunemaul
brank
Alliance
Mage
Alliance Mage brank
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

I don't know if we are talking about about pre-Cataclysm zones or not, but if so, my favorite is the Blood Elves starting zone because of how immersive and magical it is, followed by Mulgore and Trisfal Glades. That's for the Horde, for the Alliance my favorite starting zone would be Teldrassil and Azuremist Isles.

I find it very hard to choose, though, because each one is especial in their own way. It would be easier to name those I hate the most, that would be the Orcs/Trolls starting zone for the Horde and the Dwarves/Gnomes starting zones for the Alliance. Damn Durotar, you're so dry. Not even Trisfal Glades are that dead.

Elwynn Forest
brank
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Nothing can beat the classical fantasy setting of Elwynn Forest.

A wizarding tower, a tavern that's always filled with people, knights in shining armour, and vicious half-humanoids terrorising the countryside are just some of the lovely bits you will experience while encompassed by the idyllic and soothing atmosphere of a summertime forest. You feel safe, your adventure is still beginning, but you will still face many challenges here.

Subplots involve making an invisibility potion, exploring seemingly abandoned mines, and a murder investigation!

Something I like about the human starting zone is that once you have overcome the lowly struggles of Elwynn and continue to venture out towards Westfall and beyond, your later adventures will keep bringing you back here, making the world feel more connected. Quests in Stormwind, Westfall, Redridge, and Duskwood will all have you coming back to the safety of your characters cradle for various reasons, making the politics and culture of the kingdom of Stormwind feel more real than some of the other factions in the game.

Iced_PlasmaMarkone
brank
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

res wrote:
7 months ago
Nothing can beat the classical fantasy setting of Elwynn Forest.

A wizarding tower, a tavern that's always filled with people, knights in shining armour, and vicious half-humanoids terrorising the countryside are just some of the lovely bits you will experience while encompassed by the idyllic and soothing atmosphere of a summertime forest. You feel safe, your adventure is still beginning, but you will still face many challenges here.

Subplots involve making an invisibility potion, exploring seemingly abandoned mines, and a murder investigation!

Something I like about the human starting zone is that once you have overcome the lowly struggles of Elwynn and continue to venture out towards Westfall and beyond, your later adventures will keep bringing you back here, making the world feel more connected. Quests in Stormwind, Westfall, Redridge, and Duskwood will all have you coming back to the safety of your characters cradle for various reasons, making the politics and culture of the kingdom of Stormwind feel more real than some of the other factions in the game.
Agreed. Elwynn is a great zone. I just don't like being the generic human race in any fantasy game.

Duskwood
brank
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

res wrote:
7 months ago
Thank you for this post. You just explained to me why I loved Elwynn so much and I didn't even realise it. It does tie in very nicely after completing quest chains elsewhere, I had completely forgotten this.

I read somewhere else that the dev team spent a long time on Elwynn Forest as a zone as it was the first one they actually built. They even had to downsize Goldshire at one point! Perhaps this is why it feels so interconnected - they simply put more work into it maybe?

The Barrens
brank
7 months ago
7 months ago
  •  Unread

Personally my favourite starting zone has got to be Elwynn Forest. Here's a couple reasons why:

• It's got such an amazing soundtrack. Regardless of nostalgia, the soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal. After fourteen years I still love it.
  • It's big, and it takes a fair while to trek around the zone, but it's not too big. For me, it's the perfect size for a starting zone.
  • The colour scheme is superb. The houses and buildings follow a common theme of a calming blue colour mixed in with a handmade vibe. The trees and grass are a vivid green colour that really makes the zone feel alive.

I'm sure there's so many more reasons as to why I love Elwynn Forest, but these are the first few that come to mind.

Light's Hope • Lightbringer • Awaiting Classic WoW