Priest Discipline
User avatar
Posts: 41
Likes: 6
Horde
Priest
4 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread



Source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... x9v4Kqlbok

The Y axis should be multiplied by 10 for remaining mana. At this time there seems to be no way to avoid a DPS dropoff 100 seconds into the fight. Flasks prolong the fight a little but not enough to solve this issue.

Do you have other ideas to prevent the drop-off?
What would this plot look like for your class?

   CallMeDara
Badlands
User avatar
EU Flamelash
Posts: 410
Likes: 150
Horde
Shaman
4 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I'd luv to see the damage graph of a spell crit parsing ele shaman in MC.

Image    Image   Image  Image
Priest Discipline
User avatar
Posts: 41
Likes: 6
Horde
Priest
3 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
4 weeks ago
I'd luv to see the damage graph of a spell crit parsing ele shaman in MC.
What do you mean with a spell crit parsing? Do you mean, a shaman geared for maximal crit % running an actual MC run?

Priest Discipline
User avatar
Posts: 41
Likes: 6
Horde
Priest
3 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

After some more crunching, it seems like the optimal strategy for an elemental shaman, rather than just downranking, is to mix rank 10 and rank 4 in a ratio corresponding to the length of the fight.

For a 4-minute fight, this ratio is about 4:7, meaning you cast r10 four times and r4 seven times, then repeat.
This is more efficient than continuously casting r6 or r7, as the lower ranks scale best with mana efficiency and the highest ranks scale best with DPS.

Shaman Enhancement
User avatar
Posts: 380
Likes: 133
Troll
Shaman
3 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

What's a real pain is that Ele shaman doesn't have the talent called Master of Elements (which would make a lot of sense) that refunds mana on spell crit, when ele shaman has the most natural spell crit via talents in the game.

Like, c'mon man. To this day, I've always been flummoxed at how Blizzard left some specs in such a dire state when the fixes were so obvious. Kevin Jordan, one of the original devs, said they wanted to fix them but didn't have time, but I dunno. I think you could conceive of one or two pretty simple tweaks that could make any bad spec at least palatable. Ele shaman isn't uber terrible but damn the mana problem is a disaster, made worse when a talent that makes loads of sense in both name and function belongs to another class (mage, in this case) where it's only a talent taken in some builds, not even mandatory.

Gensei - Shaman
Temaius - Paladin
Bloodsail Buccaneers
Badlands
User avatar
EU Flamelash
Posts: 410
Likes: 150
Horde
Shaman
3 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

jodiug wrote:
3 weeks ago
What do you mean with a spell crit parsing? Do you mean, a shaman geared for maximal crit % running an actual MC run?
Yeah. It might be off-topic was just wondering if you found some data about such a scenario.

jodiug wrote:
3 weeks ago
After some more crunching, it seems like the optimal strategy for an elemental shaman, rather than just downranking, is to mix rank 10 and rank 4 in a ratio corresponding to the length of the fight.
Yup, one of the many things that makes a great ele shaman is knowing the exact amount of casts you can get off in a fight.
Gensei wrote:
3 weeks ago
Ele shaman isn't uber terrible but damn the mana problem is a disaster, made worse when a talent that makes loads of sense in both name and function belongs to another class (mage, in this case) where it's only a talent taken in some builds, not even mandatory.
Yup the mana can be an inconvenience, but most people blindly assume ele shamans go OOM constantly, which is sad. Their mana problem is literally fixed by getting consumables and downranking appropriately, unfortunately most people are convinced by uninformed players because the average person is not willing to put in the effort to remedy their issues. (it's a vicious cycle)

Image    Image   Image  Image
Priest Discipline
User avatar
Posts: 41
Likes: 6
Horde
Priest
3 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
3 weeks ago
Yeah. It might be off-topic was just wondering if you found some data about such a scenario.
I didn't run MC as elemental myself because we always need the healers. But I think hit %, up to the cap at 13% is probably better than crit: if you miss a spell you lose the damage of the spell, and if you crit you double the damage of 1 spell.

Compared to spellpower, of course both hit and crit become better when you have more spellpower. At pre-BiS levels of gear the results are quite shockingly in favor of spellpower: 1% hit gives you a 1.2%ish damage bonus depending on what your hit/crit is. If an average rank 10 lightning bolt hits for 744 damage, that means 1.2% of that is only like 9 damage. That means 10 spellpower is better than 1% hit or 1% crit, until you amass more spellpower and hit/crit becomes a bit stronger. Spellpower is the king of PvE stats, unless I'm missing something in the calculation...
Caperfin wrote:
3 weeks ago
Yup the mana can be an inconvenience, but most people blindly assume ele shamans go OOM constantly, which is sad. Their mana problem is literally fixed by getting consumables and downranking appropriately, unfortunately most people are convinced by uninformed players because the average person is not willing to put in the effort to remedy their issues. (it's a vicious cycle)
I don't think most guilds have to make everything 100% optimal. But if I'm honest, the DPS output of an ele shaman (that uses downranking) in longer fights is just less good than that of other classes. Believe me, I want ele shamans to work but I think their mana issues are not entirely solved by consumables. Look at mages: they have mana stones, evocation (almost a full mana bar with a +spirit weapon) and Robe of the Archmage. Even when they are oom, they can still wand. I think an ele shaman is viable in a raid but not optimal. It's okay to bring one, but if everybody chooses a spec like this the progression raids will be significantly harder, right?

Shaman Enhancement
User avatar
Posts: 380
Likes: 133
Troll
Shaman
2 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
3 weeks ago
Yup the mana can be an inconvenience, but most people blindly assume ele shamans go OOM constantly, which is sad. Their mana problem is literally fixed by getting consumables and downranking appropriately, unfortunately most people are convinced by uninformed players because the average person is not willing to put in the effort to remedy their issues. (it's a vicious cycle)
Well that wasn't really my point, but it's true what you say.

Gensei - Shaman
Temaius - Paladin
Bloodsail Buccaneers
Similar topics
to 'So I crunched the numbers on Elemental Shaman raid DPS'
Posts ViewsLast post