View results
Poll  •  Paid character transfer between realms, yay or nay?
Desolace
User avatar
donator Posts: 48
Likes: 20
Horde
Warlock
2 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

What do you guys think, will it happen at all, and if so, would it be a good or a bad thing?

Discuss paid character transfer, its ups and downs and your feelings about it.

Back after all this time.
Hillsbrad Foothills
User avatar
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 322
Likes: 212
Alliance
Paladin
2 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I think they'll only do character transfers to address full or dead realms, as they have been doing thus far with Classic. I could be wrong.

Image
Warrior Fury
User avatar
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 1124
Likes: 741
Gnome
Warrior
2 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I think they may add it and it could definitely help with some of the imbalance issues on realms. If a realm is too populated, offer free transfers off TO the faction that is overpopulated until the faction balance gets closer to a balanced state. If a realm is dying, offer free transfers to a healthy realm regardless of faction but limit the realms that can be transferred to by faction. If you are an alliance on the dying realm, only open server xfers to realms that need more alliance, etc etc etc. Paid transfers would work the same but could be open to any realm with the same restrictions on moving characters to realms that need that specific faction.

I think if they started to spend more time regulating where people could transfer in an effort to balance realms, the outcome could be really positive - even if they added paid realm transfers. Of course there is always the opportunity for people to ninja and server transfer, but lets be honest, with how populated these realms have been there is a huge shift in the social dynamic of these realms. Actions and behaviors that would have hurt your reputation irreparably in retail vanilla dont really impact you in Classic so I dont think adding realm transfers would make this worse.

People often talk about world PvP and how wonderful it is or how they despise xrealm BG's, but any of these player interactions only function well if both factions are balanced +/- 10%. We have seen this in retail and we have seen this on private. Realms that can maintain a ~50/50 population retain players longer and the PvP is more engaging. Faction balance doesnt get discussed often enough and is really one of the foundational pieces that many PvP oriented systems hinge on. Blizz was never able to fix this issue so they acknowledged its importance and introduced sharding to ensure players were in full zones. This introduced a whole host of new issues but this was how they solved the imbalance. I think that there are ways to solve faction imbalance without crossrealm/phasing/sharding but those solutions take more effort and thus more money. Money that could be generated by paid transfers.

This is one of the many reasons that the informed crowd shook their had at layering. It didnt "solve" anything. We will always need some form of transfers. We will always need some form of merges. Realms will inevitably be merged and players will inevitably be able to transfer realms.

rijndael wrote:
2 weeks ago
I think they'll only do character transfers to address full or dead realms, as they have been doing thus far with Classic. I could be wrong.
I would like to see them extend this to realms with faction imbalances.

Selexin wrote:
3 weeks ago
I'll have you know we have many resident developers who were involved in the creation of Vanilla WoW that have fantastically fool proof solutions to allll the imaginary problems!!!
Druid Feral
User avatar
US Herod
donator Posts: 152
Likes: 77
Tauren
Druid
2 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I think it probably will be allowed, however, I think some barriers should be put in place.

For instance, I don't think a PvE realm character should be allowed to transfer to a PvP realm, simply because it is much easier to level on a PvE server than it is a PvP server.

   Stfuppercut teebling
Horde | Druid | Incendius | Cowligula
Warrior Protection
User avatar
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1320
Likes: 2535
Orc
Warrior
2 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Justbe wrote:
2 weeks ago
I think it probably will be allowed, however, I think some barriers should be put in place.

For instance, I don't think a PvE realm character should be allowed to transfer to a PvP realm, simply because it is much easier to level on a PvE server than it is a PvP server.
Yeah this would be authentic to vanilla - where transfers were rare and this convention was in place.

Desolace
User avatar
donator Posts: 48
Likes: 20
Horde
Warlock
2 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
2 weeks ago
This is one of the many reasons that the informed crowd shook their had at layering. It didnt "solve" anything. We will always need some form of transfers. We will always need some form of merges. Realms will inevitably be merged and players will inevitably be able to transfer realms.
Yeah but this is mainly about paid transfers with which you can transfer to any realm.

Back after all this time.
Paladin Holy
User avatar
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 95
Likes: 78
Human
Paladin
2 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

With Activision involved, then its almost a guarantee, but Classic still seems to be a bit of a Blizzard pet project, so they might keep it severely limited (e.g. no pve to pvp, no faction changes etc)

- Xcellers
|Paladin|Firemaw EU-PVP|
Mk. Ultra - Comprehensive Guild Management Spreadsheet
A comprehensive tool for guild managers maintaining rosters & loot distribution in LC based guilds


Vault of the Silverhands, A Gear Primer for Holy Paladins
A progressive and customisable item, enchant and buff overview for Holy Paladins

Loch modan
User avatar
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 188
Likes: 113
Dwarf
Warrior
2 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Justbe wrote:
2 weeks ago
I think it probably will be allowed, however, I think some barriers should be put in place.

For instance, I don't think a PvE realm character should be allowed to transfer to a PvP realm, simply because it is much easier to level on a PvE server than it is a PvP server.
I think the difference is overrated. I leveled a warrior on a pvp server on the less populated faction. On paper thats as bad as it gets. And yet I dont feel like it was a hustle.
I also think that the realm population and time schedule has way more impact on leveling progression than the server type. Especially if you look at login queues. Disallowing pve to pvp transfers for that sole reason seems incredibly arbitrary to me.

Desolace
User avatar
donator Posts: 48
Likes: 20
Horde
Warlock
2 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Xcellers wrote:
2 weeks ago
With Activision involved, then its almost a guarantee, but Classic still seems to be a bit of a Blizzard pet project, so they might keep it severely limited (e.g. no pve to pvp, no faction changes etc)
Oh yeah, I forgot thoese are also a thing, was only talking about good old server transfer as you said.

Back after all this time.
Westfall
User avatar
US Pagle
donator Posts: 79
Likes: 74
Dwarf
Priest
2 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

 Blizzard Entertainment
We're considering integrating a character transfer service once players have reached higher levels. This was available in the original WoW. We'll look at the rules we imposed at that time and also discuss the implications of players moving to a new realm. We believe realm identity is an important aspect of Classic so any guidelines around transfers should support this belief.
https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/com ... h=1540fb12

Desolace
User avatar
donator Posts: 48
Likes: 20
Horde
Warlock
2 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

TeamRemix wrote:
2 weeks ago
 Blizzard Entertainment
We're considering integrating a character transfer service once players have reached higher levels. This was available in the original WoW. We'll look at the rules we imposed at that time and also discuss the implications of players moving to a new realm. We believe realm identity is an important aspect of Classic so any guidelines around transfers should support this belief.
https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/com ... h=1540fb12
Thanks, haven't seen this yet!

Back after all this time.
Similar topics
to 'Paid character transfer in the future?'
Posts ViewsLast post