US Skeram
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
4 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

For anyone that has played on any WoW private server they know how easy it is to throw the .mpq files in the data folder and update their models. However for classic, the folders have changed and the .mpq files have disappeared.

For those of you saying it's a bannable offense, I get it. But Blizzard will not know you're doing it unless you screenshot it and send them an email. Like seriously, why is everyone saying this is the number one deterrent? I'm talking about moving files, not running an executable. So, is there anyone who knows how to move the data from retail into classic so that we have updated models and animations?

Druid Feral
User avatar
OC Yojamba
Posts: 901
Likes: 712
Tauren
Druid
4 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

 Blizzard Entertainment
wants to know your location.

   Brevanik teebling Relik Evocati Gensei Tinyhoof TeamRemix Lendryn Pluuf f3nn
ImageImage Lvl 48
ImageImage Lvl 35
Posts: 143
Likes: 44
4 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Sounds like you need to stick to retail.

   Yinn Shyneur
Warlock Destruction
User avatar
EU Firemaw
Posts: 292
Likes: 337
Undead
Warlock
4 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

> I guarantee you 100% that you won't get banned if you do it pffsh, it's just some files dude, I played on legit private servers that couldn't tell the difference

> I have no idea how to do it, can someome please make a guide for people who just know how to copy and paste, how is this not a thing already

Solid.

   ShamelessEU teebling Yinn Gallow Shyneur Tinyhoof Lendryn Pluuf Stupeed
Loch modan
User avatar
EU Judgement
Posts: 25
Likes: 19
Dwarf
Priest
4 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

It is against the terms of service, and there is an automated system that detects any changes done to the files of the game, something I doubt your private server had.
The system does not see what the change is, but even if it is not with malicious intent such as changing models for cosmetic reasons, the system will detect it and your account will be penalized for it.

I guess Blizz doesn't want another AQ40 floor disappearing to skip the whole raid up to C'Thun.

   teebling Gallow
Image
Priest Holy
User avatar
EU Venoxis
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Horde
Priest
4 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Foohy wrote:
4 weeks ago
I guess Blizz doesn't want another AQ40 floor disappearing to skip the whole raid up to C'Thun.
I guarantee you that's impossible by now. Collision detection is done on the server and not the client.

Silverpine Forest
User avatar
OC Arugal
Posts: 120
Likes: 85
Undead
Warlock
4 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I didn't know model changes were against TOS, is this actually a thing written out somewhere or just word of mouth that you can be banned? Because im sure I remember there being mods and shit up yearssss ago that could change your model, not just for private servers but retail too, maybe around wrath days idk

Image
Image
Image
Mulgore
User avatar
US Herod
Posts: 77
Likes: 34
Tauren
Warrior
4 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

You know, the new models lost a little bit of the feel I had for my Tauren Warrior. They changed the snouts enough to remove some of the badass feel they had in Classic. I am fine with the originals for Tauren.

But if they brought in the new Whirlwind animation I'd be stoked. That ability looks incredible in retail.

Druid Feral
User avatar
OC Yojamba
Posts: 901
Likes: 712
Tauren
Druid
4 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

d3aths wrote:
4 weeks ago
I didn't know model changes were against TOS, is this actually a thing written out somewhere or just word of mouth that you can be banned? Because im sure I remember there being mods and shit up yearssss ago that could change your model, not just for private servers but retail too, maybe around wrath days idk
Yes I believe it is in the ToS, because you can change the texture of walls to be transparent so you can see enemy players in BGs etc.

Someone with more experience with these kind of hacks will probably have more detailed information.

ImageImage Lvl 48
ImageImage Lvl 35
Ashenvale
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 726
Likes: 559
Gnome
Warrior
4 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

https://www.wowhead.com/news=291450/mod ... o-warnings

 Blizzard Entertainment
We recently completed a wave of suspensions for World of Warcraft accounts that were found to be operating third-party software that undermines the security of the World of Warcraft client. Reverse engineering and bypassing security protocols that safeguard against client modification is a clear violation of our Terms of Service, and we regularly take action against such behavior.

Many of the suspensions issued were for 180 days, as the exploit we detected allows for very malicious activities such as gameplay automation or rotation/interrupt botting. Upon further review, we found that some suspended accounts appeared to be only using the detected exploit to do client-side character model alteration. That is an activity that we would prefer to respond to with a warning, rather than a suspension, this time. As a result, we have reversed all of the suspensions issued in this action.

The use of third party software that modifies the World of Warcraft game client is against our Terms of Service. We expect players to remove such third party software, or their accounts will be subject to further action. Any future use of software that bypasses the security of the game client, regardless of intention or gameplay advantage, will be detected and sanctioned with increased penalties.

   Selexin teebling Kall
Image
US Skeram
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
3 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 weeks ago
https://www.wowhead.com/news=291450/mod ... o-warnings
 Blizzard Entertainment
We recently completed a wave of suspensions for World of Warcraft accounts that were found to be operating third-party software that undermines the security of the World of Warcraft client. Reverse engineering and bypassing security protocols that safeguard against client modification is a clear violation of our Terms of Service, and we regularly take action against such behavior.

Many of the suspensions issued were for 180 days, as the exploit we detected allows for very malicious activities such as gameplay automation or rotation/interrupt botting. Upon further review, we found that some suspended accounts appeared to be only using the detected exploit to do client-side character model alteration. That is an activity that we would prefer to respond to with a warning, rather than a suspension, this time. As a result, we have reversed all of the suspensions issued in this action.

The use of third party software that modifies the World of Warcraft game client is against our Terms of Service. We expect players to remove such third party software, or their accounts will be subject to further action. Any future use of software that bypasses the security of the game client, regardless of intention or gameplay advantage, will be detected and sanctioned with increased penalties.
Nice dude. Third party software has nothing to do with what I am asking. Like I said, the files are already in the game please get that through your head.

Ashenvale
User avatar
US Fairbanks
Posts: 726
Likes: 559
Gnome
Warrior
3 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I mean I'm not trying to stop you. By all means figure out a way on how to do this and create a summary of how you did it if you'd like. I disagree with your statement that modifications to the game client are invisible to the warden; however, you brought that up as an issue yourself so I'm just addressing your own concern.

   teebling
Image
User avatar
EU Judgement
Posts: 38
Likes: 21
Night Elf
Druid
3 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

If you really wanna test your luck, then: https://discord.gg/RqNjec5 .

I haven't personally tried it, but everything you need should be in that discord.

Image
Durotar
User avatar
EU Skullflame
Posts: 10
Likes: 6
Horde
Shaman
3 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

its a modification of game files that can potantially be used for cheating - why use recources (that are needed somewhere else right now) to check what files were changed and rule "oh yeah thats ok" vs "he changed the ore model so it gets seen from 2km away". rather define that the practice at whole is against the tos so people dont abuse it, im fine with that.

and if im not mistaken some skin tones changed/are much brighter - and the tauren size changed a bit/made them bigger with the new models - so nitpickingly said one could argue you have an advantage because you see some models easier.

use such things at you own risk, and don't act surprised if an automated warden banwave in the future hits you.

FROST SHOCK!
Rogue Combat
User avatar
Posts: 147
Likes: 54
Undead
Rogue
3 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Shh! Don't tell them!!! Let them do it so they get banned!

Image
US Skeram
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
3 weeks ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

beaty wrote:
3 weeks ago
its a modification of game files that can potantially be used for cheating - why use recources (that are needed somewhere else right now) to check what files were changed and rule "oh yeah thats ok" vs "he changed the ore model so it gets seen from 2km away". rather define that the practice at whole is against the tos so people dont abuse it, im fine with that.

and if im not mistaken some skin tones changed/are much brighter - and the tauren size changed a bit/made them bigger with the new models - so nitpickingly said one could argue you have an advantage because you see some models easier.

use such things at you own risk, and don't act surprised if an automated warden banwave in the future hits you.
There are certain files that raise the ban hammer. None of which are the ones I am talking about.
Start Off
Now before we start off this post is not meant to create a false sense security or a sense of panic. This post it meant to stop all the Questions about "Is model editing Bannable".

[Types of Model Edits]
Every model edit is pretty much split up into 2 categories Models(.m2) and Skins(.blp) If a mod has both of them consider it to be a Model as the model if the greater of the evil.

[Skins]
Skins do not affect game play, so it shouldn't be a problem. However, the way they must be implemented to be used is on the edge. Originally, files could be just dropped into the data folder and it would work, but like always... there are people who have to do bad things to games.

Due to this exploitation, Blizzard made a few changes to help prevent simple model changes to bypass barriers. After patch 2.0 and beyond all MPQ files had to be named patch-_.mpq to work. And after Patch 2.3 An External Program had to be use to allow these patches.

Is skins bannable? No one knows for sure, but some have been daring enough to ask GMs directly. In fact a person has talked to a GM in game confirming that it isn't against the rules. As you can see from this screen shot he took, as long as no one else can see your alterations (as in it doesn't affects other players - such as an exploit) it's ok. However, you can still argue that they're just a GM, who knows if they really know what the company position is on this matter.

No one so far had been officially banned or mentioned that they were banned for using skins, but still some people are concerned of the thought. All I can say is, you at your own risk. But, skins have been out for a while.

[Models]
As for models... it's a bit more stricter in policy than skins. Due to Blizzard's short sightedness on fence and gate collisions built into only the model itself and exploiters... model switching has caused modding to take a few steps back. Why? because exploiters switch the gate models to a box or some other small object.

Using model switches or skins to give yourself an edge or to exploit/bypass things is strictly prohibited! That means no skins that let you see your enemies from great distances, stealth, invisibility, etc (like having them all bright pink or something) herbs brightly colored for easy spotting, changing the size of nodes to be able to mine from greater distances, modifying walls or fence models to bypass them, etc. If it gives you an advantage in anyway it's against the ToS.

If it's just a visual change (just for looks), as much as it may irritate Blizzard they aren't gonna pay much attention to it Because it does not exploit the game or other players.

[Wrap Up]
Blizzard's main focus is to stop hackers and exploiters. If you don't intend on using skins and models to exploit or hack you shouldn't have to worry about getting banned. That being said there are edits that will get you banned.

IF YOU EDIT ANY OF THE FOLLOWING FILES YOU WILL GET BANNED
World\Maps\HellfireRampart\HellfireRampart_28_34.adt
World\Maps\PVPZone04\PVPZone04_30_29.adt
DBFilesClient\CreatureModelData.dbc
World\Maps\PVPZone04\PVPZone04_29_30.adt
World\Maps\PVPZone01\PVPZone01_32_29.adt
World\GENERIC\PassiveDoodads\ValentinesDay\ValentineBasket_01.m2
World\Expansion02\Doodads\Stormpeaks\IceShards\FrostGiantIceShard04.M2
World\AZEROTH\ELWYNN\PASSIVEDOODADS\Campfire\ElwynnCampfire.m2
World\Maps\PVPZone01\PVPZone01_32_30.adt
world\maps\stratholme\stratholme_38_25.adt
world\maps\stratholme\stratholme_38_24.adt
World\Maps\Kalimdor\Kalimdor_29_9.adt
world\goober\g_fishingbobber.blp
World\Generic\Human\Passive Doodads\BeerKegs\BeerKeg01_NoCollide.M2
World\Generic\PASSIVEDOODADS\DuelingFlag\DuelingFlag.m2

Similar topics
to 'How has there not been a guide for NEW models?'
Posts ViewsLast post