Hunter Survival
User avatar
US Stalagg
Posts: 238
Likes: 189
Tauren
Warrior
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

When I was in grade school they pushed "him or her" as proper and "they" as incorrect. If you've read anything that does this you know how tedious it gets.

Women seem to think this dilemma only hurts them when it's extremely embarrassing for us men to treat someone like a woman only to find out they're packing some secret sausage.

   d3aths
Paladin Holy
User avatar
EU Firemaw
Posts: 54
Likes: 48
Human
Paladin
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

There was an amazingly good explanation on the whole underlying topic of male being the default gender in MMOs from 4chan, I tried finding it again but no luck. It was a small thread about the whole tits or gtfo thing they had/have going, but it was actually a super interesting read and the key take-away was that it was an egalitarian approach to dealing with the great unknown in MMO social interactions; avoiding preferential treatment, bias and that sorta thing.

   Felneth
- Xcellers
|Paladin|Firemaw EU-PVP|
Mk. Ultra - Comprehensive Guild Management Spreadsheet
A comprehensive tool for guild managers maintaining rosters & loot distribution in LC based guilds
ImageImage

Vault of the Silverhands, A Gear Primer for Holy Paladins
A progressive and customisable item, enchant and buff overview for Holy Paladins
Image
Thunder Bluff
User avatar
US Rattlegore
Posts: 16
Likes: 2
Tauren
Warrior
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I pretty much just go based off player model to be honest. It’s crazy how easy it is to forget that there is a real human being on the other end of the reigns!

Warlock Affliction
User avatar
US Grobbulus
Posts: 141
Likes: 91
Night Elf
Hunter
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Xcellers wrote:
1 week ago
There was an amazingly good explanation on the whole underlying topic of male being the default gender in MMOs from 4chan, I tried finding it again but no luck. It was a small thread about the whole tits or gtfo thing they had/have going, but it was actually a super interesting read and the key take-away was that it was an egalitarian approach to dealing with the great unknown in MMO social interactions; avoiding preferential treatment, bias and that sorta thing.
I've read the same thing, it could basically be condensed down to saying the following:

"your gender is irrelevant when you are on the internet, because your sex is irrelevant to anything that doesn't involve sex".

The argument is that whether you are a male or a female is irrelevant unless you are trying to offer something of a sexual nature (i.e. showing your tits, hence the "tits or gtfo" thing). Therefore, anyone insisting on being referred to as a female for non sexual interactions must be seeking preferential treatment or attention.

Whether you buy all that is another thing. Personally I will just assume people are male unless they tell me otherwise, because statistics (including the poll someone made on this site) show me that's the logical thing to do. If someone asks me to call them a she, I will because I don't get off on fucking with other people and it has no affect on me.

   JollyResolve6 Aazeo Felneth
Telvaine - Night Elf Hunter
Raikkan- Human Warlock
Keatts- Human Rogue

-Savages of Grobbulus, prepare yourselves for slaughter.
Warlock Affliction
User avatar
EU Pyrewood Village
Posts: 21
Likes: 8
Alliance
Warlock
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

When >90% of the people you will have dealings in WoW are dudes, it’s a fair assumption. Played since Vanilla, can count on two hands the number of females I’ve played with.

Silverpine Forest
User avatar
OC Arugal
Posts: 114
Likes: 79
Undead
Warlock
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Interesting that most people are saying basically everyone they've met on wow are dudes. I think I read somewhere a while ago there was something like 35% of wows players were female. But when I tried to find the article I just found that one from 2005 which isnt entirely accurate now considering how the gaming scene is now with shitloads more females into it.
I'd say its more likely that a female player just won't tell you unless you actually get to know them, so that random you're grouped up with for a quest or dungeon - you'd just never know.
I agree with that it's not relevant to know someones sex unless you actually are friends with them or whatever. Even then its not really necessary but it'll likely come out eventually. And even then we wouldn't want any preferential treatment because of it lmao.
But yeah, reading through this topic has been enlightening, couldn't figure out why people insisted on calling female chars he, now I know. I think i'll still base how I refer to others on their characters sex anyways, if they wana correct me they can

Image
Image
Image
Rogue Assassination
User avatar
OC Arugal
Posts: 77
Likes: 59
Human
Rogue
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Silly boys don't fight over me he he X3 uwu

Image
Duskwood
User avatar
US Atiesh
Posts: 2
Likes: 2
Gnome
Warlock
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

So the problem with saying only 20% of WoW Players are women is there's no definitive proof of that. Statistics are always skewed and Nielsen says it's 23% - - and any statistician will tell you there's always margin of error. Given gaming's nature you can assume there's at least 1 full percentage point or more of error there. I'd say there's probably at least 3-5%. But let's roll with that 20%.

That is still a fifth of the population, folks. That's not a miniscule amount. This isn't REALLY 2004. You know there's girls on the internet.

And if you've ever been to Blizzcon, it definitely doesn't look like girls are only 20% of Wow players when you're staring at the crowds. Or standing in them.

But I'm probably bias because more women than men play WoW in my family and I meet a *lot* of women in game. Probably because they know they don't have to worry about me treating them like crap or hitting on them.

Having said *that,* someone else said there's a 1 in 10 chance someone's a girl in WoW.... No.

It's 1 in 5 if we go with that 20% statistic. Math good, folks.

Thing is, assuming either way is ridiculous. Go by a toon's gender. Someone corrects you, you just say "Whoops, was looking at the toon," and nobody can criticize that. Period.

Genuinely baffled at how guys treat this situation. It isn't that hard. And the excuses for defaulting to dude are shady.

   d3aths Tinyhoof
Alterac Valley
User avatar
EU Zandalar Tribe
Posts: 165
Likes: 340
Dwarf
Paladin
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Image



By https://classic.wowhead.com/item=16583/demonic-figurine of https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=10201/lady-hederine, I say ! We don't give a bloody https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=8093/mind-blast about statistics and other https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=17197/maggot-goo, If there's any brave & strong female in the Alliance ranks on Zandalar she is more than welcome to join the Dwarven Defenders in their horde hunting, especially slaughtering those gravedigging bastards !!! Female company is always a nice touch to make the adventures perfect !!!

   teebling Umbra Tinyhoof Ittsy
Image Image
Silverpine Forest
User avatar
Posts: 357
Likes: 110
Undead
Warrior
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Aazeo wrote:
1 week ago
When >90% of the people you will have dealings in WoW are dudes, it’s a fair assumption. Played since Vanilla, can count on two hands the number of females I’ve played with.
Are you serous? It would take me two hands just to count the number of people in my two-week-old classic guild who claim to be female in real life.

Image
Image
Azshara
User avatar
US Grobbulus
Posts: 1
Likes: 1
Night Elf
Hunter
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I do love all the dudes here excusing being misgendered or the fact that an entire gender is simply ignored as not a big deal. What a surprise, given guys don't have to deal with it. The majority of guys, especially the grossly sexist ones, don't notice women in gaming because we're avoiding you. They see males as the default, because they're in groups with zero diversity.

It's surreal in 2019 that people still act surprised that women play games, especially MMOs. Back in Classic, I ran Guilds that were half female or more. I joined an all ladies PvP guild on The Venture Co. I've been playing MMOs since 2003 and know plenty of other women who have done the same. Back in Wildstar, the majority of players I knew were women and all of those friends play FFXIV or GW2 now. A few re-joined me in Classic as well.

Using gender neutral pronouns is far easier and means you're not going to step on anyone's toes regardless of their identity, why is that so hard for dudebros?

   d3aths
Darnassus
User avatar
Posts: 18
Likes: 5
Night Elf
Hunter
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

this thread lol

Image
[ Golemagg | Alliance | Hunter | Lucas ]
Rogue Assassination
User avatar
OC Arugal
Posts: 77
Likes: 59
Human
Rogue
1 week ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

StrayLilCat wrote:
1 week ago
Using gender neutral pronouns is far easier and means you're not going to step on anyone's toes regardless of their identity, why is that so hard for dudebros?
Isn't this entirely counter to your own point? The assumption that the only people not using gender neutral pronouns are male?

Image
Moonglade
User avatar
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Posts: 9
Likes: 4
Human
Rogue
6 days ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I just refer to people by their avatar/name.

Warlock Affliction
User avatar
EU Pyrewood Village
Posts: 21
Likes: 8
Alliance
Warlock
6 days ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Ittsy wrote:
1 week ago
So the problem with saying only 20% of WoW Players are women is there's no definitive proof of that. Statistics are always skewed and Nielsen says it's 23% - - and any statistician will tell you there's always margin of error. Given gaming's nature you can assume there's at least 1 full percentage point or more of error there. I'd say there's probably at least 3-5%. But let's roll with that 20%.

That is still a fifth of the population, folks. That's not a miniscule amount. This isn't REALLY 2004. You know there's girls on the internet.

And if you've ever been to Blizzcon, it definitely doesn't look like girls are only 20% of Wow players when you're staring at the crowds. Or standing in them.

But I'm probably bias because more women than men play WoW in my family and I meet a *lot* of women in game. Probably because they know they don't have to worry about me treating them like crap or hitting on them.

Having said *that,* someone else said there's a 1 in 10 chance someone's a girl in WoW.... No.

It's 1 in 5 if we go with that 20% statistic. Math good, folks.

Thing is, assuming either way is ridiculous. Go by a toon's gender. Someone corrects you, you just say "Whoops, was looking at the toon," and nobody can criticize that. Period.

Genuinely baffled at how guys treat this situation. It isn't that hard. And the excuses for defaulting to dude are shady.

This sounds like that SJW stuff being input needlessly.

No one cares if girls play or not (as no one cares if men play or not) and who even is bothered enough to look up the statistics.

Makes one raise an eyebrow that someone would be annoyed that a player in game said “hey man” or whatever to a female toon.

Silverpine Forest
User avatar
OC Arugal
Posts: 114
Likes: 79
Undead
Warlock
5 days ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I wouldn't say anyones going to care if you say hey man or hey dude, i say that to female friends all the time cause I feel like theyre neutral terms. The topic in the first place was more of why people are standing and looking at a female character and straight up referring to them as "he"

   Ittsy
Image
Image
Image
Warlock Affliction
User avatar
EU Pyrewood Village
Posts: 21
Likes: 8
Alliance
Warlock
5 days ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

d3aths wrote:
5 days ago
I wouldn't say anyones going to care if you say hey man or hey dude, i say that to female friends all the time cause I feel like theyre neutral terms. The topic in the first place was more of why people are standing and looking at a female character and straight up referring to them as "he"
Because there’s an 80% chance that the toon you’re speaking to is played by a dude according to the statistics presented by the other poster.

Mulgore
User avatar
Posts: 161
Likes: 95
Horde
Shaman
4 days ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I always call or refer to the person depending on the character sex. If it's a male character, I always refer to he/him, and if it's a female character, it's she or her. I do this even when I know the person is a male irl for instance but playing female. I like the RP side of it. I like RP but no to the extent that I would roll on a RP server, even though I think the community there is probably better.

   Ittsy
Orc Shaman
Posts: 126
Likes: 39
4 days ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Because "He" is everywhere.

Similar topics
to 'why does everyone on wow always call you a he'
Posts ViewsLast post