Deadwind Pass
User avatar
US Herod
Posts: 223
Likes: 120
Orc
Warrior
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Is it possible to change the character models in Classic? I mean, they use the same client right?

Private servers like W....ne, in the 3.3.5 client use this new models without problems, do you see this being possible with an addon or something? Is there any datamined model for 1.13?

Not that I want them, I love my ugly a** orc. Just asking.

<Tyranny>
Herod - PvP
Image
Warrior Arms
User avatar
US Incendius
Posts: 31
Likes: 15
Human
Warrior
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I don't see model-swapping being at all practical, if even possible with 1.13 being based off of 7.3 code. Ever since WoD the game has been using a different asset structure and it requires further decryption and a matching file list for the data to be used properly by the engine. This in turn means the launcher has an easier time keeping the files in check and watching for modifications outside the addons, which are very straightforward in comparison.

If they WERE to be ported I'm guessing the engine should have no problem rendering them (as 1.12 does with things like manual sheathing not working), but I wouldn't risk a ban anyways.

   Stupeed
Image Image
Image
Arathi Basin
User avatar
Posts: 322
Likes: 147
Undead
Priest
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I mean you have already the ability to use the old and new models.
And I am really sure you will have the ability to mod your client like you want it. Whether Blizzard will allow that in the end is another question.

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Twitch Channel, feel free to take a look :)!
Felwood
User avatar
Posts: 185
Likes: 73
Gnome
Mage
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Classic doesn't feel like classic if you're running the game with WoD models... Warmane has a file you can opt to download and play it like this.
I feel that the option should not be included with Classic's release and not be updated to give people the option to switch it on. I'm sure modders will provide a work-around if new models is something you want.

| Kazumi[33] - Frost Mage, Wetpaint[49] - Prot Warrior | Golemagg PVP|
Blasted Lands
User avatar
Posts: 204
Likes: 128
Horde
Priest
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I’d actually prefer new character and armor models over the vanilla ones to be perfectly honest. Vanilla models is the worst part of vanilla, the low polys everywhere.
Custom models on the other hand, depends entirely if Blizzard will allow it, I’m not sure they will.

   couchatron
 Blizzard Entertainment
You think you do, but you don’t
Rogue Combat
User avatar
US Westfall
Posts: 211
Likes: 144
Orc
Rogue
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I too prefer the newer models and animations to the classic ones. That being said, it's really not a huge deal to me. At the end of the day, our vanilla textures are 100% times better than anything EQ or DAoC ever put out :)

Undercity
User avatar
Posts: 120
Likes: 56
Horde
Shaman
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'm of the opinion that these kind of cosmetic changes wouldn't be a big deal to change. Things like Tauren's hitboxes being larger I'd say are a different issue.
Did they not announce they were going to let people toggle the old vs. new graphics?

Blasted Lands
User avatar
Posts: 204
Likes: 128
Horde
Priest
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

couchatron wrote:
3 months ago
I too prefer the newer models and animations to the classic ones. That being said, it's really not a huge deal to me. At the end of the day, our vanilla textures are 100% times better than anything EQ or DAoC ever put out :)
Now that is true :mrgreen:

   couchatron
 Blizzard Entertainment
You think you do, but you don’t
Silverpine Forest
User avatar
OC Arugal
Posts: 120
Likes: 85
Undead
Warlock
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

once you get used to playing with the older models though theyre really not that bad. i guess youd only notice it much if youre still active on retail

Image
Image
Image
Mage Frost
User avatar
EU Flamelash
Posts: 61
Likes: 45
Gnome
Mage
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I like the fact that they're doing an OSRS approach and just keeping the old models. After all, the vanilla graphics have actually aged very well, in my opinion.

Deadwind Pass
User avatar
Posts: 99
Likes: 87
Alliance
Warlock
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

As far as I know model swapping is against TOS even if it is possible

Image

Vikernes - Human Warlock - Arugal
Warrior Arms
User avatar
US Incendius
Posts: 31
Likes: 15
Human
Warrior
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Tec wrote:
3 months ago
I’d actually prefer new character and armor models over the vanilla ones to be perfectly honest.
I did too until I ported them to 1.12 and they looked out of place just prancing around all that 1999-2003 terrain (barely any modifications were made to the map posr-beta), so I went straight back to vanilla models right away.

We could even say...
SpoilerShow
I thought I did, but I didn't.

   Selexin
Image Image
Image
Blasted Lands
User avatar
Posts: 204
Likes: 128
Horde
Priest
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Kradgger wrote:
3 months ago
Tec wrote:
3 months ago
I’d actually prefer new character and armor models over the vanilla ones to be perfectly honest.
I did too until I ported them to 1.12 and they looked out of place just prancing around all that 1999-2003 terrain (barely any modifications were made to the map posr-beta), so I went straight back to vanilla models right away.

We could even say...
SpoilerShow
I thought I did, but I didn't.
:surprised:

   Kradgger
 Blizzard Entertainment
You think you do, but you don’t
Rogue Combat
User avatar
Posts: 117
Likes: 40
Alliance
Rogue
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

snickerwicket wrote:
3 months ago
I'm of the opinion that these kind of cosmetic changes wouldn't be a big deal to change. Things like Tauren's hitboxes being larger I'd say are a different issue.
it is a huge change from a role player perspective.
i want my character viewed a certain way. that is why i customized them that way.
but if you have new models toggled and i have old models toggled, you're not going to see me the way i want you to see me.

Paladin Protection
User avatar
US Deviate Delight
Posts: 96
Likes: 77
Human
Priest
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Personally, I'd love the option to use the updated models in Classic. What I love/look forward to about classic is the game play, community, reliance on others, etc. None of this is impacted by what my character/others look like. So If it were up to me, I'd run with the new visuals. I can't help but want better graphics in 2019. I can already hear the faithful adherents of #nochanges screaming "sacrilege!" but if retail currently had game play that felt as rewarding as classic, on top of looking good, I don't think I'd long for Classic.

A toggle option, at least, would be nice. :confused:

Image
Undercity
User avatar
Posts: 120
Likes: 56
Horde
Shaman
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Instinctz wrote:
3 months ago
it is a huge change from a role player perspective.
i want my character viewed a certain way. that is why i customized them that way.
but if you have new models toggled and i have old models toggled, you're not going to see me the way i want you to see me.
This makes sense, but you'll never know if I have my settings one way or another, you'll never know unless you directly ask me or I offer that information.

Tirisfal Glades
User avatar
Posts: 41
Likes: 14
Undead
Rogue
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'm pretty sure blizzard can create a option for the new model skins. But Idk if it will be buggy because of the old animation and hit-boxes. I'm fine if they add as a option tho. It's not a thing that change much in the game experience, just better looking models.

Lost in the multiverse.
Author of AbyssUI and AbyssUI Classic
Image
Blasted Lands
User avatar
Posts: 204
Likes: 128
Horde
Priest
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

yugen wrote:
3 months ago
I'm pretty sure blizzard can create a option for the new model skins. But Idk if it will be buggy because of the old animation and hit-boxes. I'm fine if they add as a option tho. It's not a thing that change much in the game experience, just better looking models.
I hope there is but I won’t cry if there isn’t. I’d just like the option.
It’s for the same reason I want them to add a barber.

   yugen
 Blizzard Entertainment
You think you do, but you don’t
Shaman Restoration
User avatar
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Orc
Shaman
3 months ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Are there any online resources for "porting" the WoD updated models into 1.12? I can't find anything on google but may be searcing for the wrong thing.

Similar topics
to 'Character models.'
Posts ViewsLast post