Tanaris
User avatar
Posts: 57
Likes: 41
57 posts
Tauren
Shaman
Tauren Shaman 57 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

William wrote:
2 months ago
Generally I'm ok with add-ons providing they're not too pervasive. Basic on screen prompts and hints for those that may need it.

However, things like Weakauras will be too much for WoW Classic, in my opinion.
I agree and at the same time I do not think WearAuras is even a necessity for classic. Combat is not as intuitive as it is in retail. However, I also feel that really good addons were scarce back in the day. Was there a real good quest helper back in 2005/2006? I can't remember but I think many people didn't use one. And that helped feeling immersed in this huge world and being a little lost. I am totally OK with people using addons and will probably do so myself. At the end of the day you have to decide for yourself what kind of experience you want to have.

Sanniey wrote:
2 months ago
I’ll be using ElvUi forsure, big fan. For those who will play with a few addons, which addons will you definitely NOT be using?
I don't like ElvUI. It is definitely well made but the futuristic look is simply not what WoW is about for me. Bartender/Dominos and some nice Unitframes and that all you need (until raids of course).

Shaman Enhancement
User avatar
Posts: 28
Likes: 21
28 posts
Horde
Rogue
Horde Rogue 28 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

CBX wrote:
2 months ago
I don't like ElvUI. It is definitely well made but the futuristic look is simply not what WoW is about for me. Bartender/Dominos and some nice Unitframes and that all you need (until raids of course).
I completely understand why people don't like ElvUi. But once you're hooked to it, there's no turning back. I'm a graphic designer so I like it when things are pixel-perfect. ElvUi gives me that.

   Marxman
Warsong Gulch
User avatar
Posts: 92
Likes: 51
92 posts
Horde
Mage
Horde Mage 92 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Nymis wrote:
2 months ago

...please, please, please do give it a shot.

As much as I love the game, I don't know everything about it. There are so - many - quest chains that will send you across continents and I was normally like "yeah pffsh, fuck if I'm going to Hinterlands for 1 quest" but the add-on helped me saying "no no no, save this, you'll do it later" which I did, several levels later, and not only did I get some good exp going but I also discovered new leveling areas, storylines, quests etc. that I would have never discovered otherwise.
Interesting course of thought. I did always feel like quest helpers take the excitement from you and hand everything ready-made on a plate. But on the other hand, as you say, we might actually miss out something we simply don't know about, and quest helper will point us towards that direction. Certainly worth thinking about. Thank you.

teebling wrote:
2 months ago

How do I feel about people using in-game addons to help them questing? I don't really care. If making things more efficient enhances their enjoyment of the game then let it be! Personally I will be trying my best to follow quest text and directions such as 'South West of Tarren Mill' because it's what I will enjoy.

You might be interested in having a peek at this topic from last year in which we discussed quest helpers, and this old topic about addons in general from last year as well.
This is exactly how I feel. And thanks for reminding us the old topic, teeb. I've had completely forgotten about it.

Actually it made me think that this forum has grown large enough to begin applying the old but gold rule: "search for it before starting a thread". Apparently doesn't apply to social media lifestyle we're all in these days, yet essential on such excellent old-school platforms as this one.

   teebling
- anno 2005.
Posts:
Likes: 0
Deleted User 281
Deleted User 281
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

I have always been quite a fan of addons.
My basic setup usually includes:

bartender
shadow unitframes / agunitframes (for Classic); gonna give Xperl a try too
decursive
postal
auctioneer
pfQuest
Atlas addons
a junk-seller addon

   teebling
Alterac Valley
User avatar
Bnet:

solidlobster


Posts: 65
Likes: 94
Troll Priest 65 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

norwayguy wrote:
2 months ago
I usually stick to small, basically invisible quality of life addons like Postal, Scrap, Auctionator and MoveAnything. The game's UI even in retail is pretty dated from a functionality point of view. I like the way it looks though; the only visible change I ever make is to move the player and target frame to the centre of the screen.

Wow's addon API has to be the best in the business, and is no doubt a major reason for it's success. It lets the community alter the game—within reason—to give them more of what they want and less of what they don't want. Quest helpers and garrison automators are prime examples of this.

I'm exactly the same in terms of the aesthetic of the UI. It's kind of part of why I enjoy Blizzard games and also what I have come to expect from their games. They put a lot of work into every layer or element of their game, making sure it all felt like a finished product. It sound really trivial but some games nowadays (more specifically early access titles) if they haven't spent a little bit of time on their UI or interface design it really dissuades me from trying the game (super petty I know). In my opinion the WoW UI looks great - sure it's maybe a bit inefficient at times but it's aesthetic is part of the experience for me. Don't get me started on how beautiful and iconic the Diablo games interface are. :lol:

"Ya got my attention."

ImageImage
User avatar
Posts: 4
Likes: 3
4 posts
Horde
Warlock
Horde Warlock 4 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

At the end of the day you have to decide for yourself what kind of experience you want to have.
I think its pretty much sums it up! I'm really not a fan of the base auction house UI so I will definitely use an addon that automates that stuff me.

Rogue Subtlety
User avatar
Posts: 8
Likes: 1
8 posts
Orc
Rogue
Orc Rogue 8 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

My question is, will old addons work on classic?

Teldrassil
User avatar
Guild:

Retired


Bnet:

Abannon#1362


Posts: 21
Likes: 16
21 posts
Night Elf
Warrior
Night Elf Warrior 21 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Blizzard themselves haven't even figured out yet how they're going to handle addons in classic so basicly nobody knows yet.
Of course there's going to be addons since they were there during Vanilla but just undecided on which API to use.

ImageImage
Arathi Highlands
User avatar
Posts: 127
Likes: 54
126 posts
126 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

mtk wrote:
2 months ago
My question is, will old addons work on classic?
This is interesting and I'm inclined to say no. Mostly because they aren't just putting the same classic client back up but have basically had to reconstruct it, largely with modern architecture and guts. I'm sure there will be at least some incompatibility, but I feel like none of them will work.

Additionally on the subject of already existing addons being used, I think it'd be easier to just adapt addons for BfA to the Classic client than to modify old vanilla addons .lua stuff to work on the new Classic client.

Toshiok - Troll Mage, Warsong Private Server Socks - Night Elf Druid, Elysium
Toshiok - Troll Mage, Kil'Jaeden US retail Dimaga - Human Warlock Lightbringer US retail, guild: Animus Invictus
Alterac Valley
User avatar
Discord:

Henhouse#1234


Posts: 63
Likes: 50
Human Paladin 63 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Gensei wrote:
2 months ago
mtk wrote:
2 months ago
My question is, will old addons work on classic?
This is interesting and I'm inclined to say no. Mostly because they aren't just putting the same classic client back up but have basically had to reconstruct it, largely with modern architecture and guts. I'm sure there will be at least some incompatibility, but I feel like none of them will work.

Additionally on the subject of already existing addons being used, I think it'd be easier to just adapt addons for BfA to the Classic client than to modify old vanilla addons .lua stuff to work on the new Classic client.
Classic is based on the Legion-era engine. It will most definitely have all the updated WoW APIs from that era, which means the archaic and ancient vanilla ones won't work or be supported anymore. By that case, pretty much no 1.12 addons will work anymore. They'll have to be remade, or Legion ones ported. This is good and bad, I suppose. Good because if any of you have ever tried to write Lua addons for WoW coming from TBC/WotLK+ you will understand how utterly horrible the 1.12 system is compared to the newer ones, and also because it will result in significantly better addons being written now, both for usability sake, and performance. Bad because, well, it may spawn significantly 'better; addons which abuse the spirit of vanilla... this may be what Blizzard is talking about when they say they may restrict some.

On an interesting note: a few people have mentioned using Questie on private servers and Nostalrius--fun fact though--that addon was invented in 2015, 9 years after retail vanilla had closed its doors. The quest helper addons that existed before that were extremely lackluster. The best I had was one that added comments from WoWHead into the quest dialogue in-game, no map markings or hover-over tooltip information. Questie literally took the data from private server databases (which are public) and used the spawn info, quest info, etc. to basically populate the addon and spawn locations. Because of this, even if Questie worked on the 1.13 classic WoW coming soon, the data wouldn't be accurate since most private servers replicated the data as best they could, and not from accurate retail data.

   Gensei
Image
Priest Holy
User avatar
Posts: 27
Likes: 18
27 posts
Alliance
Hunter
Alliance Hunter 27 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

In my opinion, allow all addons, besides autonomous ones. So, no auto grouping for quests, no 1 button auto rotations, no auto movement (might just be bots).
I see nothing wrong with raid timers/quest helpers/map addons/bags/bars/etc

Image Level 0 MC 0/10 BWL 0/8 ZG 0/10 AQ 0/6 0/9 Naxx 0/15
Image Level 0 MC 0/10 BWL 0/8 ZG 0/10 AQ 0/6 0/9 Naxx 0/15
Tirisfal Glades
User avatar
Guild:

Insurgency


Posts: 107
Likes: 139
106 posts
Undead
Mage
Undead Mage 106 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

All I use (and hope to be using in Classic) is UI and action bar addons. Hopefully those will carry on because I hate blizzard bars and having my portrait way the hell up in the top left of my screen.

Our time will come.
Blasted Lands
User avatar
Posts: 32
Likes: 22
Horde Druid 32 posts
2 months ago (Pre-release)
2 months ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Solveig wrote:
2 months ago
Having played on Nostalrius and other pservers in recent times, you can easily get bar mods, questhelpers, boss addons, etc. I'm hoping Blizzard cracks down on the excessive addons via the API, but allow better bar and UI customisation. Having Vanilla but with more modern bars/ui elements will be amazing.
Todays Addons are a shadow of their former self. Healbot got its name for a good reason, back in vanilla it was a single click do everything kind of thing. It automatically selected the right players, healed/buffed them. Healing back than was literally just walking and hitting a single button

Firelord wrote:
2 months ago
Personally, I have never been fond of addons, in any kind of game. I think games should be enjoyed as they are—an even playing field for everyone taking part.

If a game has to be modded to be enjoyed, I don't think that is a good game.

World of Warcraft, at least Vanilla, did not need addons to be enjoyed.
This is just plain wrong. They even added alot what they learned from addons in the vanilla client.
William wrote:
2 months ago
Generally I'm ok with add-ons providing they're not too pervasive. Basic on screen prompts and hints for those that may need it.

However, things like Weakauras will be too much for WoW Classic, in my opinion.
Again, Addons were capable to do much more back in vanilla.

Orgrimmar
User avatar
Posts: 25
Likes: 16
Horde Warrior 25 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Actually I might dabble in an add-on that syncs with barrens.chat, came to me last night in a vision :lol:. In all seriousness although I think a majority of people will take advantage of questing add-ons due to the fact that people don't have as much time as they used with their Wife/Husband and kids' running around so they're going to try to be as optimal/efficient as possible.

Image
Deadwind Pass
User avatar
Posts: 95
Likes: 71
95 posts
Alliance
Warlock
Alliance Warlock 95 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
11 months ago
We’ve had a discussion on addon development and UI customisation before. Some people think we will have classic built on legion software and others think they’ll be using the old stuff (even the hardware). Tbh I think the latter is less likely given the huge technical hurdles involved, which has already been expressed by Blizzard.

Addons will still be LUA based so I’m sure there will be plenty of interest from developers in making legacy versions if necessary. Another interesting point raised was the idea of how much addons will affect the game and the ‘pure’ experience of playing.

For example, quest locations on live are marked with a blue sector on the map, whereas this wasn’t the case originally. If someone developed an addon that provided this functionality would you be inclined to use it or not?

I suppose these are the kind of discussions the classic team are having now in its early stages of development, and fingers crossed we will get some info at blizzcon.
Its an old post, so im sure you got the answers to a lot of your questions :P The original hardware was actually auctioned off as well a very long time ago. There was a time where you could purchase your original vanilla wow realms server blade.

To answer your question about addons, im sure there will be legacy versions of retail wow addons and on top of this updated versions of classic addons used on private servers such as questie etc.

Image
Alterac Valley
User avatar
Discord:

Henhouse#1234


Posts: 63
Likes: 50
Human Paladin 63 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Toastea wrote:
1 month ago
The original hardware was actually auctioned off as well a very long time ago. There was a time where you could purchase your original vanilla wow realms server blade.
I own 2 of the 4 Smolderthorn US server blades! :razz: I only meant to win one... but they were auctioned on ebay and I was trying to absolutely make sure I didn't lose the bidding.... and I ended up with two... But all the money went to a good charity so I didn't mind!

Here's a picture of them out of their boxes: https://i.imgur.com/FqtuSN2.jpg

   Toastea emberfiend
Image
Deadwind Pass
User avatar
Posts: 95
Likes: 71
95 posts
Alliance
Warlock
Alliance Warlock 95 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

I would be happy to play with no addons at all. but seeing as I want to be competitive and I know my competitors will be using them, I will go balls to the wall.

Back in the day I did not use them until TBC. At that point having an addon that gave me a map of battle grounds or a dungeon made me feel asthough I was cheating and I was scared to use them :P

Image
Deadwind Pass
User avatar
Posts: 95
Likes: 71
95 posts
Alliance
Warlock
Alliance Warlock 95 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

I would be happy to play with no addons at all. but seeing as I want to be competitive and I know my competitors will be using them, I will go balls to the wall.

Back in the day I did not use them until TBC. At that point having an addon that gave me a map of battle grounds or a dungeon made me feel asthough I was cheating and I was scared to use them :P

Image
Orgrimmar
User avatar
Posts: 25
Likes: 16
Horde Warrior 25 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Toastea wrote:
1 month ago
I would be happy to play with no addons at all. but seeing as I want to be competitive and I know my competitors will be using them, I will go balls to the wall.

Back in the day I did not use them until TBC. At that point having an addon that gave me a map of battle grounds or a dungeon made me feel asthough I was cheating and I was scared to use them :P
I think that's that main problem, everyone else is using them and me not using them is intentionally handicapping my self.

Image
Posts: 15
Likes: 15
15 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Addons is one of the things I'm most concerned about in Classic. Classic is being built on one of the Legion patches, ie. 7.x.x. I had hoped for genuine 1.12.1 code but that's not going to be the case. I'm hoping that the code will eventually be merged into 8.x.x so we don't have to have two clients. I live in France and like 30% of the country, I have 2Mbit/s download speeds at best! The only reason I keep my WoW client updated is for Classic. If we have to download a new client, I'm looking at a week of lost time while I download it!

Back to the point: The API will not be the same as it was in Classic and will not be the same as the one that's currently in BFA. It's still up in the air but I don't expect any of the vanilla addons you know and love to work for Classic. Same goes for macros. We'll just have to wait and see.

From a philosophical point of view, yes, I'll be using addons. However, I won't be using any addons that seek to make Classic less Classic-like. I'll only be using addons that are in the spirit of those I used back in the day.
 

Paladin Protection
User avatar
Discord:

austin#8615


Posts: 38
Likes: 27
38 posts
Human
Paladin
Human Paladin 38 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

I love addons, specially ones that change your UI. I love a minimalist clean UI which the default UI won't give me. There are also certain addons I can't live without like Classic Snowfall or Lazypig (I'm lazy /shrug). But there are addons like healbot and some others that will literally play the game for you which I can agree don't belong in the game and hopefully that will be the case.

Image
Blasted Lands
User avatar
Posts: 32
Likes: 22
Horde Druid 32 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

Henhouse wrote:
2 months ago
On an interesting note: a few people have mentioned using Questie on private servers and Nostalrius--fun fact though--that addon was invented in 2015, 9 years after retail vanilla had closed its doors. The quest helper addons that existed before that were extremely lackluster.
Funny how nobody ever thought of something so conviniant back in the day, even though it was possible (pservers and databases were a thing and with little efford you could rip their data)

User avatar
Posts: 112
Likes: 102
112 posts
Orc
Warrior
Orc Warrior 112 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

If they're available, I'll likely be using the basics of a quest helper and gatherer.

I'm less sold on things like swing timers and boss mods - those types of tools being unavailable/less popular in classic were part of what made the encounters skill and knowledge based instead of just pressing buttons when your computer screamed "RUN AWAY LITTLE GIRL, RUN AWAY".

Image
Alterac Valley
User avatar
Posts: 229
Likes: 86
Human Paladin 228 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

I have nothing against Quest helper Addon or something like that but i am really affraid that Group finder addons will come back and maybe even Gearscore!!!!

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Alterac Valley
User avatar
Discord:

Henhouse#1234


Posts: 63
Likes: 50
Human Paladin 63 posts
1 month ago (Pre-release)
1 month ago (Pre-release)
 •  Unread

IronBrutzler wrote:
1 month ago
maybe even Gearscore!!!!
I really hope gearscore doesn't come to vanilla. Vanilla had many uses for lower level items having great usage it wouldn't make sense for a itemlevel/rarity based score. https://classic.wowhead.com/item=1404/tidal-charm is a level 41 item, uncommon rarity and is used extremely commonly in PvP (though often just switched to for a brief moment via macro), but still. Vanilla isn't high item level based like later expansions. Would be super misleading in some cases, I think.

Image
Similar topics
to 'How do we Feel About Addons in Classic?'
Posts ViewsLast post