Vanilla was a time when server cohesion meant a lot. With the confirmed lack of cross-realm grouping in Classic, this sense of server community will hopefully be preserved. This has led me to believe that having realm forums here would be a cool idea:
main realms page it's of course mostly placeholder realms at the moment, since we don't know how many there are or what they're going to be called. As Soon as Blizzard announce the realms though, I will get a mini-patch out ASAP update this.
Beta Realm 1 is indeed available at the moment - this is because at the time of writing the classic beta has been spotted in the wild on blizz's CDN (now confirmed as an internal alpha) but nonetheless it could be coming very soon and also this allows you guys to test out the new features and report any bugs.
I'm hoping to do this shortly after the official announcement so that I can make an announcement about the realm forums setup here and get a whole bunch of people posting their guild advertisments and organising on a realm-by-realm basis. Let's bring back realm forums to their former glory!
The link 'Realms' in the main navbar goes to the main realms page. However, if you select a default realm for yourself, this navbar link then goes to your default realm instead.
You can change your realm from your user dropdown (pictured above) or the page footer on the main realms page.
This way people will be able to access their own realm's forum with one click from the navbar - let's be honest, nobody is going to be interested in very frequently reading all the other realm forums and will be interested only in their own realm 99% of the time.
You'll still have access to the whole realm listing of course through a link on the realm forums themselves, and you can change your 'default realm' at any time. So you can still access the rest if you have 'set' your realm.
^ From patch 1.8 feedback - if you have selected a default realm, it will now appear underneath your username in topics, private messages, memberlist, profile page again like it was before. It also links to the realm's forum. You're welcome @Henhouse
In any realm forum you can now create 'Events'. These can be anything from organising guild charter signing, advertising a roleplaying event, getting a world pvp group together, or inviting people to a PUG raid. There are a few options to choose from. Here's an example of a city raid:
On the main realms page and the also forums themselves you will also be able to view three basic and important statistics about each realm pulled from the Blizzard API - online/offline, alliance/horde ratio and total population.
You can also see how many other barrens.chat members are in your realm
I don't have any plans to extend this any further as my experience with the API is very little and I think that this is enough information for most people as it is. There are going to be a lot of other sites out there that do a much better job of realm stats anyway :)
- Made some improvements to the members list. You can now sort the list by posts (as seen below), Joined and Last Active:
- Added hover icons to the main navigation bar and slightly reduced size of link text itself
- Additional date information is now visible next to the user's post time - any posts made before the release are marked as (Pre-release).
- In addition to the above, every patch date will also be visible too, so that in the future when people read old posts here, they'll know what patch it was at the time of posting:
- If a user has selected a class but not a faction, the class badge now sits snugly in the position where the faction badge usually resides - no more ugly gaps!
- There were no arrows on the style select dropdown in the header for Chrome and FF users so I added some gold ones to make it clear that this is a dropdown select and not a search bar like it appeared before:
- Built a soft-deletion system for moderators so nothing is lost forever if a post or topic is accidentally deleted (can be recovered)
- Changed colour of the poll votes bars and added a black border to them
- Changed behaviour of the search bar on index page - it now searches for all keywords like a default search instead of just exact topic title matches (this simply returned too few results and the script couldn't distinguish between even simple variations like 'warrior' and 'warriors' LOL)
- Added a 'Continue...' button to the bottom of the Poll and Event editor blocks that takes you back up to the top of the page where you can create a title/message if you forgot to do so previously
- I have disabled all of your original realm selections as part of the change over to the new realm system
- When marking forums as read, deleting board cookies, or marking notifications as read, you now get an ajax alert window to let you know it has been done successfully
- Changed the way page header titles display again to make it clearer to user which category/area of the site they're in 'ie WoW Classic Guides • Barrens Chat' instead of 'Barrens Chat • WoW Classic Guides'
- Changed wording of default welcome registration email
- Reformatted @Thimz's Toolbox and put it up in the Tech section where it belongs. Awesome resource, thanks Thimz!
- Released the 140+ animated GIF avatars used here as a download pack in the Tech section
- Revealed some of my phpBB core changes and other bits of awful (but useful) code in a new topic
- Big update to the credits page for phpBB extensions - it's completely up to date now
- Sessions table was getting massive again (70MB) so I've changed session duration to 1 month (I think it was set to like 10 years or something lol) - you will have been logged out for this patch and you may be logged out once every month from now on. The server just can't handle huge DB tables otherwise.
- Fixed issues with the high-res terrain maps showing WOTLK tiles in some places. It's now 100% true to the 1.12 terrain!
- Fixed 1px horizontal misalignment of main logos for Dun Morogh, Tirisfal Glades and Mulgore themes
- Fixed issue where people weren't being autologged in after registering as was intended (forgot to turn it on lol)
- Fixed/reduced the frequency of pagination overflow viewing a forum
- Fixed broken pagination when viewing topics with a lot of pages
- Fixed absence of left padding on style selector in uni-OS Chrome/Firefox
- Fixed vertical misalignment of topic icon selecor in uni-OS Chrome/Firefox
- Fixed broken commendations section on Devner's profile - sorry mate! :)
- Fixed issue where users with just a class (but no faction/race selected) wouldn't have a class badge on their profile page
- Fixed vertical misalignment of offline/online indicator on profile pages (mobile)
- Fixed issue where topic icon titles were appearing in google before the actual topic title which could have caused confusion
- Fixed issue with position of 'merge' confirmation link overlapping topic titles when selecting for merge in the mod control panel
- Fixed 1px vertical misalignment of 'Guest' link in top right of navbar (desktop)
- Fixed vertical misalignment of 'Advanced' button when on search results page on uni-OS Chrome/Firefox
- Fixed vertical misalignment of mini-cog in navbar for guests on desktop in uni-OS Chrome/Firefox
- Fixed vertical misalignment of forum header titles on iOS Safari, Chrome and Firefox
- Fixed broken download link for the illustrated maps pack
- Fixed broken tab hotkey index on posting editor, should flow smoothly now
This patch is intended as sort of future-proofer - I got a lot of stuff that I wanted done out of the way early. This is so that, for example, when realms are announced we can benefit from that spike in interest immediately (just have to upload a mini patch and it's done) and hopefully connect a lot of people looking for guilds and people to play with. Same goes for small things like the (Pre-release) tags which will also be used for all future classic patches.
IRL I am about to start a three month stint at college which is going to be very intense indeed as I am in the run-up to my final examination which will (with a bit of luck!) make me an Officer of the Watch Unlimited and allow me to work on ships of any tonnage in the world. It's going to be hard, and you won't see much of me around like you have these last two months.
I'll try to fit in a bit of time if I get a beta invite (blizz did email me yesterday and ask for more of my details so perhaps that's a sign?) to bring you some beta content. Don't expect much else though - I have to focus on study and I can't let my passion for this website affect that
Anyway, hope you enjoy the patch. As usual, bug reports and feedback welcome. Lok'tar!
This website has really become the de-facto place where to discuss things about wow classic outside any social network. As I already said to you, the amount of feelings that gathering in a forum cause to me is engulfing. Thanks a lot for keeping this up!
Amazing work as always, teeb!
I just wanted to point out that when reading the posts of other folks here, it it sometimes difficult to distinguish where the post ends and signature begins, as it has the same font and size as the posted message and is not separated in any way (say, italic font or some dash above it, etc.). To my mind if this tiny issue would be addressed we all would have even more comfortable time lurking here.